Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

The Euro qualifiers is going to be another wasted campaign ahead for Ireland under Stephen Kenny no matter who we draw in the group stages. We will be out after a couple of games with Kenny at the helm. The players might mostly be at Championship level but the manager is National League level. If this was club football or any other nation he would have been given the boot long ago. Thanks for blooding players but now is time to put a real manager in charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭secman

What annual salary will the REAL manager be on ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Any ideas who that real manager is that you'd like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,917 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I get that it takes time and people want to support the team, but it is the blind OTT support that annoys me. It took Mick the guts of 5 years to properly revamp Ireland after the end of the Charlton era, in fairness.

But Mick was not immune from criticism he once talked of making Roy Keane the best sweeper in the world, and played him as sweeper v Iceland I think it was!? Might have been the game Kilbane made his debut in.

Managers cannot be expected to be immune from negative criticism, is my point.

OK some of the criticism might be proved wrong, for instance I did not rate Obafemi (i thought he was a speedy headless chicken) but he has improved and won me around. But some of the commentary on Ireland seems to be more hope based/than fact based.

I just think of that young fella who runs 'Irish football fan TV', I can't remember which Irish win it was but it was after a long run of losses. He actually said he was starting to feel awkward talking up Kenny prior to it, and felt a sense of relief!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Kenny is not immune to criticism, he gets more than his fair share.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

I'd get Marcelo Bielsa if it was at all possible. A proper manager with a proper record that is now a free agent. He is well known to not be too interested in money but instead by a project.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,072 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

ffs, like of course EVERYONE would prefer Marcelo Bielsa. What's the point in suggesting someone like that when he's about 25 levels above what we can actually get.

And not interested in money... he was on 8 million a year at Leeds in the Championship alone! It may not be his main motivating factor, but there are better projects, and much much much better money out there for him elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

For Kenny to come out and say last night was a good performance bar the crazy 3 mins is brutal.

The performance last night was terrible, no running off the ball, no energy and the ref should of gave us a red card in the 50th min.

The best thing that happened in the game was Armenia scoring, it created an atmosphere and the last ten mins were great on front.

Kenny's tactics works against better teams but when we play the weaker teams, his tactics are flawed and Kenny doesn't know what to do. We flopped in the league of nations and should be gone, but we are stuck with him for the euros.

He lost his main coached and hasn't recovered from it.

Will back him for the euro's but if we don't qualify then he has to be gone, he has made promises and lived up to them so far

See again this is the problem I never said I wanted Kenny to go. That is the erroneous assumption of any criticism of him on these threads. A world of 'Kenny in/Kenny out' that is the cult thing I am talking about.

It is really odd, and I assume the blind Kenny faithful support are mostly younger generation based. I am open to correction on that. But that is the vibe I get. You only have to to look at the faces of fresh faced young lads roaring after Brady scoring that pen to beat Armenia. You would swear Ireland won a play off/world cup!

It would be madness to get rid of Kenny now. Give the guy the next campaign let him develop them a bit more. It is the fella after Kenny that will get the team to achieve/then overachieve in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Well known not to be interested in money but was supposedly on £8m a year at Leeds when sacked.

For comparison, when Southgate was U21 manager of England he was paid the same salary as Kenny is on now.

With a bit of luck he gets the Bohs job.

I would be amazed if Roy Keane did not get the job after Kenny. You can call Keane a lot of things but his sole motivator is not money. So he would probably accept what Kenny is on now. Given that he is seems to be struggling to find a club job, and how he still has that love for Ireland. His apprenticeship has been completed as Assistant Ireland Manager on top of all his club stuff. Hard to see beyond Roy Keane as other options will likely be in jobs and require pay offs etc.

The same Roy Keane that supposedly got paid €600k to pick up the cones and throw sound bites out in a press conference once in awhile when MON couldn't be arsed.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Roy Keane presided over a campaign where the players morale was lower than I’ve ever witnessed in an Irish team. They brought great times no doubt but after Euro 2016 it was horrific.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭BobDole22

Yep the last few games of the MON Keane era was the worst I've ever seen an Ireland team even worse than Kenny's first few games.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,619 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Mick made loads of strange calls at the start of his first tenure. He used to play Ian Harte as a centre back. He was learning on the job and was allowed to learn on the job. It Started clicking for him in the World Cup qualification campaign for Japan/South Korea.

Kenny will have that opportunity to make it work and qualify for the next Euros. If he does there’s a few on here that will look like awful idiots.

I think the last few months of Trap’s time when the FAI didn’t want to pay him off and he stayed around to get the money coming to him that was left on his contract was fairly bad as well.

Forgwt bielsa i think we should be hiring klopp personally

• Advertisement

Roy Keane was not the guy calling the shots though, if he had I would understand the criticism. But I think it was more that some players stopped working and hoped the manager/backroom team would take the brunt of the blame.

Bring in Johnny Walters as his assistant and whenever Keane tries to be the big man Walters can put him in his place and walk off with his tail between his legs again.

Someone had to do it! Kenny could learn a lot from the way Keane dealt with the media (Siapan excluded).

I get the impression Kenny does not let rip at the players at all. And it is the players who end up comforting Kenny, when he is on the verge of tears following another dodgy post match interview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,707 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Why aim for the bottom fruit......Pep I tell ya ... heard he's not motivated by money too, a few nights out in Johnny Foxes and the Oul Dub will do him

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Is there anything to be said of an approach to Lee Carsley? Would he leave England u21's for this job?

I remember when Lee was playing I was a critic of his. I think most were. What would we give to have a midfielder at that level now though.

Don’t know why you’re so set against the idea of trying him in that position in a friendly game. People “understand” that they are different positions and require different attributes, a little bit arrogant of you to suggest those talking about Collins as a possible DCM have “a lack of understanding” between different roles on the pitch. It’s not unheard of that players can adapt their game for different positions. It could add to his game to play in that role and could be beneficial for Ireland as well. You’ve repeated yourself several times anytime the idea is brought up.

This.

We are that stuck at the moment it has to be worth a shot. Also a back 3 of Ombamdiele, Egan and O'Shea is decent too. Hopefully Kenny will feed the likes of Jimmy Dunne into the squad also who can play the ball out. From the look of Collins he has the intelligence and maturity to be able to play the role. But as you say there is no harm having a look at it. When Cullen and Molumby are out of the team we are shocking. We can't go with Hourihane or Hendrick again.

He'd be one of the reasonably achievable frontrunners for sure. Not sure how good he is yet, given the fairly excellent quality of player at his disposal with England, but certainly one to be considered alright. Far from a certainty to be an improvement of course though, basically has decent enough underage experience and little else.

• Advertisement

I don't particularly have a problem with him being tried in a meaningless friendly, that wasn't brought up. (I'd probably prefer to give Coventry a shot there in a friendly though).

I just don't really understand the push for it though... it seems to be purely on the back of him being good on the ball, rather than anything more relevant to the position. We have other better options there, instead of heaping the pressure of playing in the wrong position on our best 21 year old CB.

I think Kenny probably went for the right DM backup last night in Molumby, who did well. If he played there again he'd need to calm the fck down so as not to have to come off, but he's probably the best understudy there for Cullen.

I think that's where we will have to shop around. It's how would he manage with a limited midfield. As you say his options at u21 level are ridiculous.

Would he get the same leeway as Kenny I wouldn't be sure. I'd be of the opinion that he gets one campaign to bed in and then it's showtime after that.

We are into the underwhelming world of the bottom half of the championship then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Given that we have qualified for the Euros 3 times in our entire history, then I would suggest he's shooting far beyond par if he leads us to the Euros.

It’s easier to get to the Euros now though. When we got their first in 1988 it was an 8 team tournament. It was harder to qualify for the Euros than the World Cup in those days.

Context. This is an expanded Euros. Has been for the while. In 88 there were 8 teams. In 2012 there were 16. In 2016 there were 24.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

He pretty much said last to Tony that he doesn't. If last night wasn't bad enough to deserve an earful you can can draw your own conclusions.

That said if he did lay into them (deservedly or not) he'd probably lose the dressing room quite quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Please no. It's not going to happen and please no.

There’s a push for it because the midfield 3 are being asked to provide a huge workload in the system Kenny is deploying. They did ok for a spell v Scotland but their legs understandably went after half time and as we saw last night the replacements for them like Hendrick and Hourihane can’t deliver when that level of intensity is demanded of them as midfielders.

Someone like Collins could have a big impact in that position. Not sure it would be “heaping pressure” on Collins either, he might relish the opportunity to add to his game.

I'm not sure 'laying into them' is ever the right thing really, feels like what you do with misbehaving children. But I would want and expect him to say when something isn't good enough. To be honest, in the cases of the mistakes especially, it's not like Hendrick, and particularly Hourihane, won't know exactly how they fcked up, and be very embarrassed in the dressing room surrounded by the players that they almost fecked over.

Maybe, but given that it is entirely, 100%, fan speculation, there's nothing at all tangible to point towards it being a good idea to get a young fella who's doing really well in his professional position to switch into a position he's never played, for the first time at international level. We've never actually seen any evidence that he's particularly good at knowing exactly when to step in and make a decisive tackle higher up the field, or when to press someone on the ball, or when to step back to cover runners, from the centre of midfield though.

Sure look, I'm only on the outside (as we all are), recognising that for international football - with them having so little time together - the best bet is usually to get guys to do the same thing they're doing week in week out at club level, and fit your pieces together that way, with as little variation from what they're proven to be good at as possible. Maybe in training he can show Kenny and the other coaches that he has the tactical awareness to run midfield, and they'll give him a bash there. As of yet, they haven't seen fit to try him there in friendlies or when Cullen is out.

I know I'm just being a pain in the hole repeating things, as you said, but these things are always brought up as if they're easy obvious fixes, when the reality is that they're just not. It's such a specific role that, in lieu of someone who does it every week for their club, i'd be looking amongst the most experienced heads, not the least.

I think he’s possibly the best footballer that we’ve had in a long time. He could be a talisman player. Comes from a football family, seems to have the head screwed on. He got a move to Wolves, if he was English he would have jumped that staging post and went straight to Man United or one of the other top drawer EPL clubs. I’d like to see him tried in that position if it was something he would be up for.

• Advertisement

Gareth Southgate was getting paid the same wage as Kenny is now when he was U21s manager of England. Chances are Carsley is paid the same as Kenny or more and lives close to the FAs training base working with top young players.

All this is true... I just don't understand the eagerness to move him from the centre of defence, and our key defensive lynchpin, into midfield. He's an elite level talisman right where he is on the field. I'd rather see him continue to progress there, in his best position (according to every coach he's ever played for since he was 13 years old) instead of using him to fill holes elsewhere in unfamiliar roles - particularly when other people would look better suited to doing that.

(Not to mention, if we're using someone unfamiliar to DM, I'd much rather Collins, as our best centre back, was behind them to help mop up any errors caused by poor positioning!)

Kenny needs to improvise and shake things up. He’s far too slow at making substitutions and changing the formation. He needs to challenge himself and the players and try to build some momentum with the team. It’s his only chance, if he remains conservative and rigid he’ll get nowhere anyway.

I mean, I agree with all of that - I just don't see what that has to do with moving one of our best players out of position.

I'd be of the view that a solid defensive line (with Collins the absolute key at the heart of it) is our greatest asset, and the foundation that lets us build from everywhere else on the pitch. That's what lets us try things out in front of it with our midfielders, wide players, and forwards. The last thing I'd want to be fcking with is the one bit of the team you can feel good about.

As I said earlier, if we really needed to pluck a non-midfielder to cover DM for whatever reason, I'd feel a lot better about a very-experienced head like Seamie Coleman covering that spot, with the safety net of that solid backline behind. He just feels waaaay more suited to the role, and comes with the bonus of not breaking up our defence.

"Far too slow at making substitutions" seems to keep cropping up from certain posters.

The average time of the first substitution in this UNL campaign is 58.3 mins. How early should he be making changes?

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

The issue I would personally have is whether he’s making the right subs, not really how early he makes them.

Yes and that's a far more relevant point e.g. last night he made both an early sub and it also happened to be the incorrect one imo

However people seem to reference the "lateness" of his substitutions as opposed to whether they are correct or not.

Yeah, it’s in-game management that’s definitely looking his biggest weakness.

He’s done a really good job (I think) in putting out the right teams with a clear idea of what they’re going to try to do. But it’s in that final 20 or 30 minutes as games change that he hasn’t been making the right adjustments to keep our performances going, or kick on.

Hopefully something he can study over the coming months.

I’m referring to the game at Hampden Park recently. The midfield 3 did a great job first half and were out on their feet second half. They needed to be replaced on the hour mark. Maybe not all of them but one or two of them to keep momentum going in that area. Maybe he doesn’t have adequate replacements for them when their legs are gone.

Doherty looked out on his feet not having played much at club level this season. He left him on way too long v Scotland. V Armenia you could see him looking towards the bench to be taken off but never took him off.

Ok so it's not the timing you have the issue with, it's the debate over who is taken off/brought on.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement