Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MacAvity Rides again...

Options
  • 26-09-2022 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭

Today I have been ...reliably... informed of a huge brown fluffy cat hereabouts,,,

For folk new to my unusual situation.. Small offshore island and like many offshore island and other places when folks do not spay and neuter, it was apparently overun with cats, breeding and inbreeding. So there had been a .... clearing.. See Cape Clear Island and Tory Island for the right and wrong way to go about this .

Being new I did not ask the how.. Knew there were only two - but they meant three - left, all entire males,, after all, they said, no need to spend on that as there are no open femaies... The ferryman had one.. Tonto who lives here now ,, and Stinkertom, now gone to cat heaven,,, Then a third appeared at my door, the pet of a dear lady who had died

And apart from my brood, no cats here.

Today I was told of a large brown fluffy cat who runs fast, near my home... WHO ? HOW?

So clearly this MUST be Macavity! ... Not well enough to go seek but early tomorrow... All very strange. I have a couple of ideas... Macavity the mystery cat .... Intrigued.. Maybe someone dumped him over here... But the ferryman would have seen that of course.. Assuming it IS a cat... Ideas welcome!

Post edited by Graces7 on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Bad weather has stymied the cat hunt... Neighbour who told me is sure it will arrive at my door seeking food.. I look forward to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,180 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

With the last cats you had been robbed from inside your home, I hope you manage to find this moggy before the thieves do 🙏

To thine own self be true

Yep. This is different as this is not an island cat. I suspect it has been brought over and dumped. Things have changed out here thankfully . I have outside help now.. We shall see. Whatever, it is very welcome to come for food etc. On its terms!. Which is partly why I was told about it. And of course to make sure I knew and would step in if needed. As i will.

At first light i am off out seeking MacAvity... Jar with dry food to rattle...ie around seven when no other humans are up... and my three are fast asleep in the kitchen.... Island version of big game hunting!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Hard to say who's doing the thieving when the cat may already have an owner or someone who looks after him. Or he may have gotten transported to the island by accident, so I certainly hope whoever finds him does everything in their power to re-unite him with his owner, rather than just starting to feed him so he'll stay about their house rather than returning home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,115 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Hard to say who's doing the thieving

2 men apparently, in June and again a few weeks ago ...

o

All this was of course what I was intending to try to ascertain . I currently have the care of the few island cats that were either left after the "purge" which happened before I came here, or were mine. As I was asked to here.

Two island cats and mine in adddition is the sum total of our island cats. And no strays as I explained to you at the Festival in summer.

. To check that this is not dumped.And if it is to care for it /feed it as leading islanders have aleady asked me to, As I have done all my years here.. NB no way could a cat get over here accidentally ...We are a small island with a population barely into double figures. And any new critter stands out - and is well cared for,

There is probably still enough wild food for now and I will keep a caring eye on the situation as I have been asked to.

As this is not the only thread you have attacked me on I have reported these posts as they are against forum rules.

With the update that I did not see Macavity yesterday so clearly he has nested somewhere and has found enough food, and i will continue to put extra food out as he has been seen so near my home. If he wants more than that he is very very welcome indeed. And that has been requested by my neighbours. If he then wants in the house, that is fine too, especially in weather like tonight! I do look forward to meeting him.

Blessings and peace

Post edited by Graces7 on

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Graces7,

Please desist from accusing people in this forum for "attacking" you, when clearly they are not. Also please desist from clogging up the reported posts facility with baseless accusations of being "attacked" when people are simply bringing their own reasonable thoughts to the discussion.

People are allowed to discuss posts that are raised here, as it is a discussion forum. If you don't want people to reply to your posts about these "island cats", then stop treating boards as your blog, and revert to using your own private means of communicating your thoughts on the "island cats" without any risk of perceiving yourself to be under "attack".

Thanks

DBB

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

We have never discussed this before, you have never explained anything to me at any festival, and I do not appreciate being accused of "attacking" you. I await your apology for and retraction of the false accusations.

Advertisement