Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭UID0

eCars was created to ensure it would be possible to travel around the country in an ev, with no extra requirements on avoiding queueing or higher charging speeds. We have an open capitalist(ish) society where private sector investment is desirable. This was done with the understanding and preference that people would predominantly charge at home.

eCars brought the ev landscape from nothing to the point where there is proven viability for commercial operators on intercity routes. Now they should 1 make sure there is at least 2 chargers at each of their rapid charge locations, and 2 develop the market for those without access to charging at home by increasing the supply of destination chargers appropriately sized for the amount of time a user can expect to be at the destination (e.g. 1 hour for gym/supermarket, 2 hours for shopping centres, 8-10 hours for railway stations/park and rides) and set the time before overstay charges apply appropriately.

eCars get a lot of flak for the choices they have made, but who has done better? Ionity & Tesla have their networks to sell extra cars. We're only getting to the point where commercial operators not affiliated and financed by car manufacturers can justify the rollout of charging hubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭wassie

eCars get a lot of flak for the choices they have made.

Rightly so, because they do it consistently and don't seem to learn lessons.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,304 ✭✭✭markpb

Why are eCars exempt from criticism because most of the other operators are owned by manufacturers? They made some consistently poor decisions over the years like using 22kW chargers when most vehicles only support 7kW and 11kW, continuing to roll out 50kW chargers when most new cars support 100kW+ or and maybe worst of all, having a wide-spread network of poorly laid out, single charge units instead of a more focused number of sites with multiple units. That’s nothing to do with their source of funds or their reason for existence.

Tesla IMHO got the balance right. They gave AC chargers free of charge to anyone who would take it and they have a decent network of reliable, high speed chargers. My only criticism is that it’s not wide spread enough.

I wonder if eCars were too focused on Leafs for the first 6-8 years of designing the network and didn’t see the market charging as quickly as it did? Now they have a huge network of old units which will require extra maintenance, eating up their budget that should be going into expansion or upgrades.

Post edited by markpb on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,356 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

If I were only allowed to criticise Ecars on one thing (thankfully not, otherwise I'd be banned from this thread 😁) then it's for the network "upgrade"

Remember that map they showed back in 2019 was it? With loads of high powered charging sites and several Mayfield type sites which can charge 8 cars

Well we quickly got to see what defines an ESB "hub". Can charge 4 cars at once, but only 3 spaces

I know the upgrade runs for another couple of years, but given the current progress I don't see how they can possibly deliver on it

And the upgrade program was based on something like a 50% increase from the 2018 EV numbers. By 2025 it'll probably be more like a 500% increase of the current sales trends continue

So yeah, bad planning and poor execution from Ecars

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Don't forget ESB Ecars used to say their 50 hubs would be delivered by 2023. 2022 has been a terrible year for ecars rollouts. I roughly count 14 fast chargers added, and 3 HPC added (thought ecars for a while set HPC as fast chargers in their API so data might be a bit muddled). I think EasyGo have added 4 FCP units in the last 2 months (I don't have stats on EasyGo for the year).

ESB is continuing to assess other suitable sites on motorways and national road networks, with the aim of delivering over fifty high power (50-150kW) charging hubs.

The project will run until 2023.

Their latest site has dropped that date, and probably falls back more on the National development plan 2027 date. Just yet more unaccountability from ECars. Miss the goal? Move the target! Repeat.

• Advertisement

The Public High Power Charging network is a disgrace and this is one of the reasons I tell People to forget about the gadgets and get an EV with the most Kwh they can afford.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭zg3409

In terms of 3 spaces for 4 cars they claim they may have only been allowed 3 spaces by the site owner but even if they laid out the second charger over a bit and only marked 3 spaces it may be possible for the 4th car to park in the unmarked space.

If they dropped the 22kW AC socket from their 50kW chargers and put a 7kW socket nearby as a backup then for probably no real cost they would have a better 3 space layout.

Applegreen will show what a real hub should be in Ballymount and I expect it to busy and profitable without (I assume) any government support.

While esb may be constrained on sites and funding some of their choices seem crazy and they have not delivered on their promises made after funding was in place. Lots of promises in NI for years yet basically nothing happening except broken chargers staying broken.

The 22 Kw chargers were there originally due to the likes of Nissan and Renault promising the ESB that there would be waves of electric cars that support 22 Kw AC charging, only for the Zoe and some earlier Model S no other electrics supported 22 Kw, now what I still haven't figured out is if the ESB AC chargers are 22 Kw total or 22 Kw per outlet ? if 22 Kw total then there's nothing wrong with this since most new electrics today support 11 Kw AC.

11 Kw AC is very convenient but with large Kwh batteries today it's still slow but it's better than 7 Kw. Just 2 hrs on 11 Kw is very useful if you happen to be travelling to some part of the Island with an extremely poor infrastructure like the South West all the way to the North West but not at all limited to those areas.

Replacing the AC units with DC can mean that a charger is available a lot sooner than someone plugged into AC for half the day or more, 40 mins on DC and most People are usually moving on and have got a lot more Kwh in the process.

There are 20 Kw DC chargers too but I've never seen any in Ireland, they would be a good replacement for AC points, 2 on a site would be very convenient say in the likes of shopping centres. Tesco Carlow recently installed an AC point but you'd have to question why they bothered because how much charge is someone likely to get by the time they finish their shopping ? I think that was rather pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Its not a great picture.

But I think the argument is that we should design rapid charging locations with a petrol station type layout.

This type of idea

https://youtu.be/1FFGbzyvmnk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭innrain

It is 22kW each socket. This is designed to work with both single phase and 3phase cars. It has available 32A on each phase x 2. Unfortunately car manufacturers found it difficult to rectify this amount of power so they limit the current to 16A on 3phase, resulting 11kW. As ecars had over 10 years they could find a load management solution where the total 44kW available could have been divided to 5+ sockets. If one single phase car occupies a socket there is still 37kW available to the other side, which will provide 11kW to a non-Zoe 3phase car. So 26kW unused. With some brains this setup can be configured to work for 5+ cars

They did replace AC with DC, some were welcome some were not. Some are in long stay locations where people got used in leaving the cars for hours. Then there is the issue of the additional AC socket. While in theory a good idea it creates the opportunity to block the DC side. They should have marked AC charging only and DC charging only spots and allow users to report improper use and act on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,304 ✭✭✭markpb

I've a 16.5kW AC charger in my car so the eCars 22kW are fantastic (for me) and I wish every car had faster AC. I'll accept that ESB might have been ahead of the curve on this one but the change in market caught them out, that's a risk of being early. FWIW I'm fairly sure I've shared a pillar with another car and still gotten 16.5kW so they probably are 22kW each side which makes sense since a few of them have been replaced by a 50kW DC charger in the past.

Yeah you're right, they replaced a lot of AC points with the 45-50 Kw chargers so it would be right to assume they were indeed 22 Kw per outlet.

Yeah would be great to have more powerful AC chargers in electric cars.

I think though apart from Ireland most AC chargers across the continent are 11 Kw max ? so there's probably no desire to add more powerful chargers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭Old diesel

What we have to remember is that in 2013 or whenever.

Chademo and fast AC were the main game in town for charging.

CCS wasn't really in the picture as it is now.

Now there are a number of options for 22 kw locations going forward.

1) we can change them to 22 or 44 kw DC.

2) use a charger solution similar to the freewire boost. Where a DC charger has a big built in battery - can take power in at 22 KW AC and feed it out from the build in battery at 100 kw.

Effectively the charger is battery storage and takes in power when no car charging.

3) knowing that cars increasingly have 11 kw AC we can set up for twice the number of chargers. We could look at power management strategies so that if one car is charging - it can take a full 22 kw if its able to use it (ie its a Zoe).

4) upgrade the power supply where possible to the site. This can be for HPC or to have lots of destination type chargers.

Because in a car park situation - then a current supply that can do 22 kw x 2.

Can do 7 cars at 6 kw each.

The bigger problem however is the epic lack of urgency not just with ESB eCars but Govt and other players too.

Ireland doesn't know what a top class infrastructure looks like yet.

Which will make non EVers slow to commit to EV and allow rhetoric from Healy Raes and others gain much more traction.

Danny Healy Rae currently wants to look at biofuels and LPG.....

Because that's a stalling tactic by him to encourage a slow down in the EV adoption.

He hasn't worked out yet it seems how to make money from EV charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,151 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

In the video you shared you are looking at a station that does electric car charging only, looks like it was built from the ground up. Most (all?) fast chargers in Ireland are part of a wider pre-existing liquid fuel recharging station or are on the street so they use what were existing parking spaces.

In order for what you shared to be possible in Ireland we need to build a hub from the ground up which is certainly possible if the will was there. If I won the Euromillions in the morning that's what I'd be investing in doing. It would probably be loss-making for 10 years but I'd be loaded so wouldn't care :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

It would probably be loss-making for 10 years but I'd be loaded so wouldn't care :)

You could make that 5 years if you skipped the CHAdeMO connectors 😉

Just for that comment I'm going to skip the CCS ones, a hub of 18 Chademo charge points just to spite you... Play lotto or it could be me 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭innrain

Make sure all would be HPC 's 350 kW or higher for each CHAdeMO plug. :)

Seems like a reasonable request that definitely won't have me going bankrupt 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

While I'm at it I'll make sure the coffee is cold

In a bizarre turn of events you'd make Ireland the best country for those Chinese made EVs with their Chademo derivative flast charging (BGT or something, can't remember)

So you might inadvertently make EVs considerably more affordable 😂

I find it very annoying that more cars didn't go for the 22kW AC. I know it adds cost but they could do it as an option like the Model S (and possibly the Peugeot e208, might be wrong on that)

It would make the AC network a lot more attractive to users, and it turn it would make more money for Ecars and they might install more

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭zg3409

Ecars presumably at all these 22 X 2 AC sites have around 50kW power available. Besides DC chargers they should be putting in 7 or X 7kW charge points and if they can load share make one or two 22kW. Particularly in Dublin city centre and other places they are in use all day long. ESB have said they are not interested in rolling out AC chargers.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,341 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

ESB have said they are not interested in rolling out AC chargers.

Not interested in rolling out more AC chargers, and incapable of rolling out intercity motorway hubs....

They are creating a nice little niche for themselves of 'wherever and whatever we choose' to install.... and 9 times out of 10 it looks like they are going after the lowest hanging fruit...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

It was a £2.5k option for Tesla when it was available, don’t know why but loads of early adopters went for it. I had it on my S and it was amazingly convenient, thought I’d miss it but my adversity to public charging since getting a 3 means I’ve only had one public charging session so guess it’s not that much of a loss after all…

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

To be fair your model 3 charges at 16kW, so not far off 22kW. A lot of cars are maxing out at 11kW

I think it's fair that the 22kW is an option, it does generally require more hardware

I think if I had something like a free workplace charger, or was dependent on a destination charger frequently then I'd probably go for it. In my current situation I mightn't bother

Really, is that the SR or all of them? I was sure I've seen Bjorn charging at 16kW on AC

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

If the info for the Dublin EV strategy document came from eCars then the numbers indicate that you just can't make money selling electricity via AC chargers. They need to be seen as an ancillary service where the site owner has an alternative motive to keep you on-site.

• Advertisement

That's easy to find someone with an interest, Dublin City council. Give away the kilowatts for free and charge more for parking.

Gets people going into the city, giving the council money and also spending the rest on dinner and coffee and stuff, keeping businesses alive and protecting the council's income from business property rates

I mean I'm surprised even the councils haven't realised that if you install a bunch of AC chargers in a location with lots of amenities then people with EVs will tend to visit and stay for several hours. And a bunch of people standing around bored with fun things to do around them will probably start spending some of their hard earned cash to stave off the boredom

Advertisement