Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Infrastructure that never happened

• 23-09-2022 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭

I came across some road infrastructure plans for Dublin which never happened, THANKFULLY. I thought it would be interesting to post here and see what other projects people can think of.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

An advanced plan to build additional motorways into and around Dublin city would raise serious eyebrows today.

I laughed at the image below which shows a section of the Royal Canal which was due to be filled in and replaced with a 6 lane motorway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

For Dublin alone, these being serious plans that had things like land reservations for them:

The bulk of the 30s Abercrombie plans for the city.

The 70s rapid transit plans with DART to what became the Square and Blanchardstown SC.

The M7 from Naas to the non existant J8 on the M50.

The Eastern Bypass, many different forms proposed over the years.

Metro West

The SDCC master plan for the Jacobs factory - it just got a data centre plonked on it instead

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭EnzoScifo

Wasn't there a plan to build a rail tunnel from Broadstone to Harcourt Street to link the railways and create rapid transit line?

would have been fierce handy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Bertie bowl. The prison at thornton hall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,934 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Eircom Park as well.

Scannal covered both in a great episode.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The children's hospital in various locations - at least three failed sites, before the current site in James.

I didn't realize it had a name but ...

...SUAS???!!!

Maybe this is still planned by DCC?

Looks to be just the interview with whiskey nose and not the full episode.

edit- full episode there:

https://www.rte.ie/player/series/the-scannal-collection/SI0000004189?epguid=IH000383920

Post edited by Zebra3 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

That's the kind of high-volume, practical transport solution we need more of in Dublin!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,731 ✭✭✭cgcsb

The 1973 DART plan would be fair handy if it existed today and was supplemented with a tram system covering the city centre and the inner suburbs. Instead we have trams on street running for whopping distances

The nuclear power station at Carnsore. Although this hadn't progressed as far as some of the projects above.

A bit like the Rossport thing, the protests did act as a magnet for activism, and helped advance a few careers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,731 ✭✭✭cgcsb

We got moneypoint instead to make us dependent on English coal imports and ensure that the Burren gets lots of nice acid rain. A tragedy really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭kravmaga

I thought Moneypoint was closed down years ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,087 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

it was supposed to be a tourist attraction, not public transport. I don't think SUAS was an official name.

Around the same time there was the proposal for the giant lattice statue of a man standing in the Liffey, designed by Angel of the North sculptor Anthony Gormley (I'm not sure if this counts as infrastructure...)

Version 1

Version 2 (after people pointed out it looked like he was pissing on the quays)

Did that Gormley sculpture ever pick up a suitable nickname, like the Millennium Clock becoming "The Time In The Slime"? Thus far my brain is only providing me with The Chap In The Crap but clearly the good people of Dublin must have collectively produced something good

I don't think enough people were aware of it before it was cancelled for it to pick up a witty nickname.

Missed opportunity. Actually I love Gormley's works and I think this would have been bizarre but pretty class, ah well

• Registered Users Posts: 18,882 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Jayus, the Greens would be on a real high if that came in!

The only obvious one I can think of is the Metro link. That has dragged on for ever. But I suppose that doesn't count because it is happening again, supposedly.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement

Metrolink has gone for planning today, which will apparently take a year. Assuming it gets planning, it will then be at the same stage Metro North was at when it was canned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

The Greenhills Road realignments are all still officially in the development plans I believe but barely anything has happened with them. The reserved lands around Tymon can clearly be made out on google earth. I am pretty sure that Greenhills Road traffic is someday to be diverted along Calmount Avenue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,489 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The demolition of a swathe of Temple Bar and the plonking of a massive bus station on the site.

Those are in the busconnects corridor plans, I think.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

What ever happened to the waterbus service from Heuston to the Point?

It did start but then what?

What happened to the Hydrofoil ferry that was to go from Dublin to Liverpool?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Water taxi happened for a while but demand wasn't high enough. Covid would have killed it anyway.

Post edited by spacetweek on

Is the hydrofoil ferry a different thing to the hovercraft, or the same??

If it’s different what happened to the hovercraft??

A hovercraft is a boat that sits on a cushion of air kept in place by a curtain/skirt. With it lifted off the water, it is blown along by propellers/fans.

A hydrofoil is a ship lifted out of the water by propellers still in the water. The ship can travel much faster because there is less drag with the hull out of the water.

Neither are particularly fuel efficient. The hydrofoil is not very good at tackling flotsam like logs. The hovercraft suffers from damage to the skirts.

Both are good for grabbing headlines and for grabbing the attention of politicians who like to project an image of being modern and leading the technological future. These type of projects usually die before launch and are soon forgotten. Some unfortunately get launched and sink soon after much funding disappears.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,697 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

There was also a plan for a link along the south quays from Pearse to Hueston.

Advertisement