Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stranger Things [Netflix] [*** Spoilers ***]

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,506 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Maybe the communication was done through the colour rather than electricity?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The Rule of Cool. I'd say it's just a case the production team wanted some cute piece of 80s iconography to use during a pivotal set-piece and the Lite Brite fit the bill. Never owned one so couldn't say I noticed it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

I just finished it there and I have to agree with some of the comments regarding the length. maybe it's indulgence on behalf of the directors or the nature of streaming where you don't need to conform to a T.V schedule but maybe there's something to be said for having to trim down to 42-46 minutes. it forces the direcors to cut unnecessary fluff and shorten scenes, leaving a leaner show.

There's also the well documented issue of character bloat. Mike and the Byers brothers really had nothing to do for the majority of the season. instead of just scaling down their screentime (adressing the length) they get silly side-quests to do. i.e. the agent gives them a pen with a phone number hidden inside it, which rings a computer, so we have to go to Suzie for help, then come up with a way around her father so she can get the information they need, which turns out to be co-ordinates. this nonsense could have been avoided if the co-ordinates were just written on that paper in the pen.

I also dislike the obvious retconning. The "it was me all along!" trope. that Vecna/001 shped the upside-down into what it is and either created or is the Mind Flayer is poor writing. it takes this dangerous mirror world controlled my this mysterious entity and makes everything less intiresting. look at seasons 2 and 3 when the Mind Flayer speaks to our heroes. it's clearly not a human with a personal connection to 11.

I know i sound awfully negative but i really did enjoy this season. The stuff with the gang back at Hawkins was always great, i enjoyed the prison stuff once it got going and loved the idea of prisoners bieng used to feed/entertain the demigorgon. 11's story got good once she got into the immersion tank at the N.I.N.A project. we've a nice little cliffhanger with high stakes and hopefully season 5 will finish on a high.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,749 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Stuff like Vecna is just a side effect of having a show that wasn't meant to be 5 seasons long. The ability of the Demogorgon seems to have changed quite a bit too.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭brianc27

Finally finished this tonight, took me a few weeks to find the time and want to spend two and a half hours on the final episode, probably the best season over all and episode 4 probably the best of the lot.

one thing that bugged the **** out of me in the last episode, it's a very small detail really but surprising for show that prides itself on 80 nostalgia and authenticity, the dj mixer shown is from the early 2000, knew the second I seen it on screen it wasn't from the 80s, very small detail that I doubt most noticed but annoyed me 😂

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The Duffers acknowledge and admit they're trying not to add more characters to the show's already bursting roster...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,038 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I was gonna say if they don't add anyone, who will they kill off, but then it is the final season so everyone is expendable.

Watch them do a Walking Dead and announce details of the spinoff before season 5 is released, giving away a number of people who will survive.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

From what I read the spin off is very very loosely connected to the world of Stranger Things. It sounded like when BBC would advertise a new show with "from the producers of Line of Duty" but it be something wildly different in genre and tone.

Yeah think I read that. But was just giving an example of how they could make the stakes lower by spoiling who survives.

Like I was thinking of catching up with Walking Dead before the finale but then saw all the spinoffs announced.

Would make for an interesting deadpool (no, not that one) as to who we think will live to the Credits of the final episode.

Like, I can't decide if Eleven will live or not. While I'm fairly confident Hopper will sacrifice himself, for realsies this time.

• Advertisement

I'm going to guess they all live. They haven't had the stones to kill anyone of consequence yet, despite all the chances they've had.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

yea, i am going to say they all live too...

and they pretended it happened with Hopper already, they won't do that again...

All in all, really looking forward to the final season.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,411 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yep it's remarkable that for a show with an extremely high body count, they haven't killed any main characters yet, instead introducing brand new ancillary characters for the primary purpose of killing them later in the season.

They've even already had big death scenes for both Max and Hopper, and immediately backtracked on both of them.

There's a decent chance one or two relatively central characters die in the final season (maybe a Hopper or a Jonathan), but I wouldn't at all be surprised if all or almost all of them lived to see end credits either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭dogbert27

I think they'll go down the Dallas route and the whole thing will end with Dustin waking up and it was all a dream

• Registered Users Posts: 33,607 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Either Will or Jonathan would be first on the list to die, as characters who are pretty surplus to requirements, big emotional scene for Joyce etc. Robin/Priyah would be next as "main characters but not as long as the others", maybe Brett Gelman's character either. After that I guess Eleven in a big sacrifice to end things, considering it all centres around her.

Or all a campaign in D&D.

They risk overdoing it but I can see them do similar to Max and tease killing characters throughout the season, to play into the fact we know it's the final season. They also may say going in something like "Who will make it out alive" or "Not everyone makes it out alive".

Yeah but don't underestimate the power of the Last Season; apart from fan response there's literally no (external) pressure to keep anyone alive - and it's a cheap way to increase stakes & drama if Main Characters start dropping like flies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,778 ✭✭✭Evade

My money's on L going out in a noble sacrifice.

Or they make it look that way to take her off the government's radar again.

Will they do the usual final season thing of bringing people back, like will we see El's sister come to help? Since that's the episode everyone wants to be reminded of. 😃

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Advertisement

For some reason I thought Vecna was done digitally, at least for some of him. But going by that video it was pretty much all practical.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Will and Vecna will tag team in season 5!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Finally got to watch The Piggyback last night - like someone else said above I also had difficulty finding two and half hours.

Bloody good stuff as always.

I am certain that it had been announced season 4 was to be the final season - am I completely wrong about that?

Was it just assumed by people that it would be?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,268 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

To be fair when they announced season 4, they definitely said season 5 would be the last

• Registered Users Posts: 25,749 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I heard when they announced season 4 that they also announced a final ending so I missed the season 5 bit and got confused.

Don't think I was the only one.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,607 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah I think they announced it was renewed for Season 4 and Season 5 at the same time, and S5 would be the last. So maybe people missed the part about S5 and thought S4 was the last.

Netflix are using Stranger Things as part of the draw for this Tadum thing they've been doing this week, despite the fact they've barely started writing S5. People have said it before but it really makes you wonder what they're going to do when it does end. They really don't have another show as big as it on their service.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Does any streaming service have a show as big as it?

And I’m pretty sure it is the show with the most merchandise too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭dogbert27

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,268 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Not sure those brands are comparable as they’re long established film and Tv franchises

I don’t watch it but Bridgerton is absolutely huge for Netflix too

Advertisement