Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Twitter and The Journal... I don't know exactly what you're on about, but if they're the 2 to look up to, the world is far more fecked than I thought.

I've no idea what I'm going to do with my extra €15 a week. Really not sure. Might be able to move out of home, surely that would be enough to show I can now pay bills and save for a mortgage!

Even when you're expecting to get ridden raw, it still hurts.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

This is a fair point.

I am against one-off rural houses, except for farmers.

But I am all for one-off houses in villages and towns.

There is plenty of land in most villages to allow the village to double its population.

By this I mean all within 1km of school, shops, etc.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,536 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

1 km from most schools in rural villages will have you out in the sticks.

Small villages that have high dereliction are like that due to commercial activity having been removed from the small village. Pubs, shops, supermarkets etc all suffer because there are bigger and better available in towns. The one off risk house actually keeps rural parish like alive these days, because the villages cannot do this

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

The village dies because rural Ireland is sitting in its Dacia Duster driving to the nearest city or large town of scale from its one-off in the middle of nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

The standard of living has in fact started going down, per ESRI, Millenials are thought to be the first generation in the state to have lower living standards than their parents.

The main reasons cited are stagnation of wages throughout what should be their peak earning years and the collapse in home ownership in that group and its knock on effects.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/stagnant-wages-and-expensive-housing-leave-young-people-in-ireland-worse-off-than-parents-1.4560760

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

Laughable! If income tax rates were cut, more money would go to local businesses. But you think its morally right, that the worker contributing, should benefit far less per week, than the long term waster?

Usc needs to be scrapped. Its easily affordable given the billions wasted in this years budget...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

No increase to unemployment payments. Usc abolition.... 2 basic ones for a start! Time to start rewarding those paying to run this country, I'm shocked that its those sitting on their ass that they constantly bend over backwards for...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

There is the question of whether the rich should pay any tax. They are least likely to avail of state health care or education.... They may use the roads, certainly not public transport and never need handouts.

If you believe in user paying I think there is a case to be made the slash taxes for anyone over 150k to the bare minimum.

Do we all agree?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,086 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

There is the question of whether the rich should pay any tax. They are least likely to avail of state health care or education

Rich people aren't educated?

That's a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

So let me get you 2 right. We should pay more and more in tax (even do we just ran a very high surplus) and give it to others who don't work or don't earn as much and then with what ever money we have left over pay again for the majority of decent services and then we should cycle everywhere no matter the distance, no matter the weather, no matter if your carrying heavy goods, no matter how dangerous the roads are and we should all be happy with a dilapidated sh1tbox in a small town and be happy about it no matter how many kids you have, or how small the place is. REALLY

Some people spend their money on nice clothes, nice food. nice holidays and some like a nice place to live and forgo aspects of other areas. Who are you 2 or anyone else to tell and dictate what people do with their discretionary spend if you work for it you should be able to do what you want with your cash after the taxman takes his pound of flesh and also without the taxman coming in looking for more if you decide you want to live outside a city or drive a phucking car. Delusional the pair of you. The fact is the person buying the car and house has already paid income tax, stamp duty on the house, VAT on the life insurance for the mortgage, VAT on the home insurance and a recurring property tax, then on the car they have paid VAT on the car, VAT and carbon tax on petrol diesel and VAT on the car insurance and Motor tax. How much more do you 2 want to bleed from someone

You're both right, there are people in this country who have public transport options that they could use instead of driving and likewise there are people who have no public transport options and are forced to drive or be socially isolated

I think a good solution to this is to increase petrol/diesel/public-charging taxes at forecourts - but only in our large urban areas and decrease the same outside of these urban areas. The EV grants could likewise be tailored to be higher for rural dwellers. Just one solution

That's the "user pays" sometimes called the "poluter pays" strategy. It means that the person who can't afford to pay doesn't get the service. Not something that works in terms of healthcare for example

I think what he is saying is they don't pay for public education, ie they go to public schools

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭jj880

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/money_and_tax/budgets/budget_2023.html#ladfa1

October 2022

People getting a long-term weekly social welfare payment will get a once-off payment of an extra week also called a ‘double week’ (minimum payment €20) as a cost-of-living support.

November 2022

Double Child Benefit payment

Once-off payment of €200 to people getting the Living Alone Increase

Once-off payment of €400 to people getting the Fuel Allowance

Once-off payment of €500 to people getting the Working Family Payment, Disability Allowance, Invalidity Pension, Blind Pension and carers who qualify for the Carer’s Support Grant

Lets say you are living alone, getting Disability Allowance and fuel allowance. Do you get double week in October, a 200 payment, a 400 payment and a 500 payment in November?

People need support for sure I'm not knocking it just curious whats going to happen in the new year and future budgets? Throw in the 3 x 200 euro electricity supports then also. It just seems to be getting out of hand with the reactionary policy here. Everything in this country turns into a mess then the panic starts. Let everything go to sh!t then throw out the cash afterwards. Is there any plan in the New Year to come up with with a long term fix? Government needs to tackle the rising energy prices and cost of living properly ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,053 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Its not laughable. The money is paid in cash and goes back into the local economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I think what he is saying is they don't pay for public education, ie they go to public schools

Well complete nonsense so, also private schools are subsidised by the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,755 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

You have got the solution backwards. The greatest use of petrol and diesel is in the rural community. We need to increase taxes there to change the behaviours. In Dublin for example, the Bus Connects and pedestrian projects are doing the job of reducing car usage anyway. Reducing car usage in rural areas is the next step.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

The thing about no increase to unemployment benefits does sound good on paper. However, I am not sure it holds up.

What about those who have long history of working and find themselves out of a job they have mortgage, bills etc based off that salary sometimes it isn’t easy to walk straight into another job with same salary level and so you might need time to up skill or to find something suitable.

A very small amount of people are unemployable for various reasons. These people may have families/dependants. Whether we like it or not we support people like this because an increase in poverty is correlated to an increase in crime which affects us all. Now it’s not possible to eradicate crime, but we want it as low a level as possible.

There children in this country reliant on school meals. That is not their fault. Should people who can’t afford it have multiple children…no, but they do.

There will always be those who take advantage of the system and there is probably changes that can be made to reduce it but it’s a delicate process otherwise you will punish those that don’t deserve to be punished.

I didn't say any of that.

What I am saying is that in line with the principle of the polluter pays, we need to find a way to ensure that there are no more McMansions built and that people start living in towns and villages. If that means higher taxes to do so, so be it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

I'm genuinely torn on this budget. Part of me understands that with increasing prices and such that the government has to increase payments, change the tax bands and give payments for electricity etc to keep people and businesses afloat.

Another part of me worries that if the government runs a budget surplus in an already inflationary environment, that it is only going to increase inflation further next year. I don't know if there is any economic theory underpinning this i.e. a limited amount of inflationary spending can be tolerated, or whether this is how countries like Turkey, Argentina etc end up in inflationary spirals (and that is not to consider the more extreme examples of Weimar Germany, Venezuela at present and Zimbabwe in the early 2000s).

So yeah, I hope it works out, but I have a feeling that what the government should really have done is increased the upper rate of tax, provided limited supports for energy etc (mostly in respect of fuel allowance) and then ran a surplus to try to stop the inflation. Because if they don't do it this year, is there much chance of them doing it next year as we get closer to elections etc?

Well give the polluter an alternative, you put up pics of a few dilapidated houses as viable alternatives for people to move into from outside the cities and towns, how much would someone have to pay to get that up to living standards. The alternative is not there ergo the housing crisis we are currently facing. Right then we should pay zero motor tax if polluter pays , you cannot double/treble/quadruple tax it. If they put the tax on petrol/diesel and took away the motor tax then I could see some merit to what your saying but a person driving a car has already paid multiple times in various different taxation payments, polluter or not.

Those houses are very cheap, and full of grants to fix up. I mean, they are cheaper than sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,319 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...seriously, whats the craic with such nonsense! again, most money received by welfare recipients is spent back into the economy, very little goes towards savings and paying off debt, this keeps many businesses in business, maintaining and creating jobs, of which us workers work in, i.e. round and round the money goes....oh and most revenue at the moment is currently coming from corporation taxes, so unless your a large corporation, most welfare payments arent coming from you, the taxpayer!

They are small pokie and run down and builders generally take those grants and up the price to the same amount.

love to read the few experts on what all rural houses are and what all rural people want

very edifying stuff ye should surely all be proud of the posting standards ye are demonstrating here

im sure that ye would be as happy with such widespread muck flung at other groupings- inner city corpo housed jackeens, for instance, or cyclists for instance

do better lads, a few of ye are far better posters than this when it suits ye

pity there wasnt anything in the budget for more mods huh

Perhaps leave the Diesel/Petrol taxes the same in rural locations then, increase them in the cities and use the money to reduce the cost of electricity (public chargers and households) in the countryside as well as other incentives to promote them to move to EVs?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,619 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

So, increase the urban to rural subsidy even more? There's a whole host of reasons why this won't be done and wouldn't work anyway (including determining what counts as "rural").

• Advertisement

Why would you do that? You would be subsidising unsustainable living. It has to work the other way around, increase the costs of rural living to encourage sustainable living in towns, villages and cities.

Advertisement