Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A global recession is on the horizon - please read OP for mod warning

Options

Comments

Why don't you stop being a know-it-all and post-proof that Russia did it. You have no idea who did it. So stop pretending that you do. The US is more than capable of having carried out such an act and there were US Navy vessels in that area previously they even conducted underwater operations, but I'm sure you will come along and call me a Russian bot for posting that fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭rodge123

Russia were not likely to get their European customers back to buy their Gas…Europe would have been weaning itself off them over next year or so, will be a more sudden shock now.

Once bitten,twice shy.

Simply no chance Europe would go back to buy gas at same rates as before. Regardless of any end to the war and deal, Europe was always going to significantly reduce dependence on Russian gas after this…they simply can’t be trusted as a reliable trade partner.

My theory is that Putin figured this was the case also so why not get some win out of it - “Hey comrades, look at America blowing up our pipelines…I told you were were fighting NATO, they want to destroy Russia militarily and economically. A sort of rallying call for mobilised men.

You can argue both sides would be mad to blow it but I reckon America has far more to lose by blowing it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

No point in trying to engage with someone who gets that personal about a topic like this. They've obviously made this whole thing a part of their identity to fill a void created elsewhere. The mention of Tucker Carlson and the likes is a red flag. We're dealing with someone feeding into the idiotic left v right battle taking place in the heads of many across the Atlantic.

Beverly Hills, California

There was a not insignificant chance that if Germany got hit by a bad winter, public sentiment could change and demand that the pipeline be reopened. Germany would then pile on pressure to Ukraine to do a deal with the Russians and bring this conflict to some sort of end.

The US has a lot to gain from the destruction of the pipelines and Germany no longer being able to import Russian gas. Now German industry is going to suffer badly and the country we'll have to keep importing LNG from the US and the US can demand whatever price they want since the Germans no longer have any other option.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

You almost word for word repeated Tucker Carlson idiocy, that's why I mentioned him. A man that has made an utter fool of himself over the last few months and a modern day Haw Haw. But at least he's getting paid at the end of the day.

It actually has very little to do with American left v right, that's very distant from my world and frankly I don't give a sh*te - what isn't distant to any of our lives is the fascist invasion of Ukraine, and defenders and apologists of it get no breathing room and no respite.

• Advertisement

You really do love to insult people's intelligence don't you? And again, with the tired old insult of accusing someone of being a Russian bot, just because they hold an opinion that differs to your own.

So go on Mr. Knowledgeable. Present evidence that Russia was definitely the country that blew up the pipeline. All you are doing at the moment on this thread is throwing around cheap insults.

You're insulting your own intelligence, not me. I'm not the one living in denial that Russia did it. You are.

This isn't a difference of opinion, you have been consistently peddling a defence of Russia from day 1 of the war and before, and got banhammered on the Russia thread for repeating disinformation and proven lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

https://www.ft.com/content/756e81d1-b2a6-4580-9054-206386353c4e

“At some point this morning I was worried this was the beginning of the end,” said a senior London-based banker, adding that at one point on Wednesday morning there were no buyers of long-dated UK gilts. “It was not quite a Lehman moment. But it got close.”

Some mess across the sea.

Beverly Hills, California

As I have said numerous times, where is your evidence that Russia is 100% responsible because at the moment investigations into the cause of the explosions is still ongoing.

So go on Mr. Expert present the evidence that Russia is responsible. I've asked you this numerous times but still you have presented nothing but cheap insults and false accusations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭macraignil

Why would the US risk falling out with its NATO allies to destroy civilian infrastructure that was not being used?

The russians must have known their playacting with turning the pipes off unexpectedly for "maintenance..." had left their gas customers making alternative arrangements and likely to never use the pipelines again so as simple scrap these targets allow them put on a show that they are capable of destroying things and making life more difficult for civilians outside of Ukraine as well as in the country they have attacked directly. I think their feeble attempts to blame the US will be shown to be their usual lies to deflect attention from their own attempt at terrorism and lead to more resolve in NATO to face up to their behavior.

• Advertisement

Russia did it and it's as plain as the nose on your face. And what's more, you know it. You'll be eating crow when the evidence comes out and you'll be chased around the forum to made swallow it. EU defence ministries already have accepted it's Russia. Are you ready for it?

Because you were made eat crow on the Russia thread time and time again for puffing up proven Putinist propaganda, and eventually you got banned for it.

You getting banned for signal boosting disinformation isn't a cheap accusation btw, it's exactly what happened to you.

Truss is coming out of her bunker tomorrow to face the media.

I reckon she's done. If Starmer has the cajones to call a motion of no confidence, it may well get over the line.

Again, another useless post with no hard evidence presented if you are so sure that Russia did it. How do you explain the Twitter post from the former Polish foreign minister congratulating the US on blowing up the pipeline?

And lots of people were banned from the Russia thread. Anyone who didn't swallow the line that Ukrainians are perfect and incapable of doing anything wrong that whole thread has turned into a pro-Ukrainian echo chamber so honestly I don't care what goes on in there.

Also just curious Yurt what do those bars in your profile picture mean?

Who's that no-name twitter user and why is anyone supposed to care?

The former Polish minister is either a prize-idiot or posting tounge in cheek.

How do you like your crow served when the evidence comes out? Sweet? Savoury? I specialize in bitter. And you best have an answer because you'll be made swallow it. For your crank credibility, you best hope the story goes away.

The thread is all the better for the mass banning of Kremlinite fools. And no one has said they miss you in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭bb12

Sea Power Magazine reported on June 14th, the US Navy’s 6th Fleet Task Force 68 was running underwater explosives removal drills in the area where these sabotage explosions took place. 

Also around the time of the explosions there was a US amphibious landing ship in the area as well as a US Maritime patrol aircraft that entered the area before the explosions and then stuck around for a while afterwards. I don't know. Seems kind of suspicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭bb12

All the kindergarden bickering here back and forth is absolutely pointless.

We're facing the worst trouble we've ever had to in our lifetimes. Everyone needs to get prepared.

How gas rationing at Germany’s BASF plant could plunge Europe into crisis

A shutdown would have a far-reaching impact across all sectors, from nappies to medicine

The consequences of a shutdown at Ludwigshafen would be far-reaching, not just in Europe’s largest economy but the entire continent.

BASF-produced chemicals are used to make anything from toothpaste to vitamins, from building insulation to nappies. It is one of the world’s biggest manufacturers of ibuprofen for painkillers, and its single largest customer industry is the automobile industry, meaning sputtering pipelines in Ludwigshafen would directly affect carmaking regions such as Emilia-Romagna, Catalunya or Hauts-de-France.

One of the few remaining end products still produced at Ludwigshafen is AdBlue, a liquid used to reduce air pollution from diesel engines. It is a legal requirement for heavy goods vehicles, so a shortage could bring lorries to a standstill across Europe.

In other economic related news.

Any idea of where we are going to put these people? I guess we could fill up every other hotel that hasn't been taken over for asylum seekers and refugees already. I mean it's not like we need accommodation for tourists and I guess the people like me who work in hospitality can just learn to code.

Conspiracy crankery. NATO navies are in the Baltic day-in-day out, and have been for years.

You get hot under the collar about getting roasted for conspiracy theorizing, then after throwing a sook about it, revert to conspiracy theorizing, and will probably throw a sook about this post.

Russia blew the pipes and you know it.

Again, I am still waiting for you to present evidence that Russia is responsible. So far you are doing nothing but throwing around cheap insults. Surely for someone who claims they are so clever. You have much better ways of spending your time?

And clearly it is you who is the one getting hot under the collar. Personally, I don't give a f*** what you think of me.

And you still haven't answered my last question. What do those bars in your profile picture mean?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭joseywhales

• Registered Users Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Meh, lads are getting bored in their thread so they try to export their russophobia elsewhere.

If it start raining tomorrow they will figure out how to blame Russia for that. And if it wont rain, bet that Putin was involved somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

That's a very unique take on history and only possible by ignoring all evidence from the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

All you had to do was mention Trump for the bingo .

You are spot on here.

It's deeply wrong what they are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

The most likely scenario is that the American did it. Only a complete loon would not consider them as the prime suspect here.

They actually threatened to do it on several occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

Okay the last few pages on this thread have been horse $hit about Russia, Ukraine the US. This is a thread on a global recession, we should be talking about what the consequences of never ever having cheap gas in Europe is not wondering who blew up pipelines, there gone now anyway so time to forget about them and cheap energy.

I would be extremely worried with what's going on in Germany now, As an earlier poster said BASF who makes everything from chemicals for pharmaceuticals, Ad blue, chemicals for fertiliser, admixtures for building materials and concrete the list goes on.

With the certainty of never returning to cheap energy now for Europe, coupled with main industries shutting down leaving a shortage of necessities it looks inevitable that a stagflationary recession will hit Europe. The sad thing about this all is the ECB and how weak they are, this will not end well. Last time the US was in a bad Stagflationary period they had to go full Paul Volcker, the EU is too indebted to do that now and lacks the balls also, that that leaves us with one option, print money to control the bond yields, tolerate high inflation with way lower interest rates (negative real interest rates) which in turn over a period of 5-10 years will inflate away a lot of the debt problems and keep the show on the road. This could work so long as the people are pacified, but it runs a thin line between all out anarchy and pacification. With the rise of populism, no doubt they will not be able to pacify the people and this is the scary part.

It looks like things are going to get very very precarious indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭brickster69

It does not take much to swing things. If people start to struggle, see it's government sending cash to others and an influx of refugees heading towards them it could happen very quick.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

Good post.

It probably is what will happen but it won't placate the people because it will break them.

Not going along with a deeply flawed and failed status quo is not populism.

In North Rhine Westphalia inflation hit 10.1% yesterday, a jump of nearly 2% on the previous month. That's their industrial heartland. Where the deindustrialization axe is falling hardest on some of the best companies in the world. Stagflation would be a lift up from that.

Last month the Producer Price Index in Germany jumped nearly 50% year on year. So producers are seeing input inflation way above end price inflation.

There will come a point where consumer demand will drop and production will also be break even at best.

This is all before rapidly rising interest rates start to impact.

One German Chemical CEO said Germany is on "automatic deindustrialization" now.

Outside of manufacturing the German economy is very moribund, as is Germany itself.

It's fax machines, poor internet, reams of paper, decaying infrastructure and a deep unwillingness to change any of that.

Germany is at a cross roads, it's probably through the cross roads. It's facing a decade of being the Sick man of Europe, again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,048 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Why would they need to blow up a pipeline, if they are able to unilaterally close pipelines themselves with no repercussions?

The scheming russian boogeyman is alive and well in some people's heads thats for sure. The Russians are soon going to replace the dog as #1 excuse for not doing your homework

Advertisement