Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abuse of Referees

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Manner14

Problem is in a lot of cases people see the referee as an enemy before the game even starts. How many times have you heard "say nothing to that ref he's a prick" or "He done us the last day so be careful" It's bred into lads early on that a referee is there to annoy you and not actually officiate the game.

Are there bad referees? 100%. But lads tend to forget that without referees there would be no game in the first place. He's there to do a job as much as players and mentors are.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,229 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Just on this point, agree that it's widespread / endemic etc but hasn't this always been this way?

We live in a different world now and 20 years ago, I'm fairly sure I wouldn't have heard about the incident in Castlebar at the u17 match even though it happened just in the road from me at all, let alone it making the national papers. But within a few hours I had been sent the article, a video and an eye witness voicenote of the incident.

News travels very easily and very quickly these days. I'm absolutely not downplaying any of the incidents rather questioning if we're just getting to know about them at a greater rate. I think we undoubtedly are and that is a good thing in terms of raising awareness / tackling the problems.

But to take the angle that it's only recently become / becoming a full blown crisis is probably understating the issue at hand imo. It has been an issue for decades / generations and that's going to take a lot more work to fix than something that has just reared it's ugly head in recent times.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,243 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Whatever happened in the past it's not acceptable now.

Regardless if you agree with that or not. You can't operate the sport without refs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Yes, I've seen that happen many times. And often it's lads way too long in the tooth to be at it.

Some interesting ideas in this piece - also a bit Wexford referees upbeat after 'constructive' meeting (rte.ie)

Also, a bit of an interview with Jimmy Heavey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,103 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

i dont think clubs on the same sideline is a problem but the numbers of people on the sideline is. reduce those numbers and it makes things easier for officials.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,384 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Team I am involved with have had five championship matches this year, and in four of them, the opposition had at least one member of their management team encroach into our 'area'. One of the four matches saw us take up a spot on the sideline first and they planted down next to us, despite having the entire other side of the pitch to do as they pleased.

Now its generally been calm, aside from the usual baying for a black card or silly stuff like that, but I can see how it can get out of hand. Especially when very often we wouldn't get a neutral linesman.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Morris Garren

I wish every referee well- it's a tough gig in most sports. However the lack of proper governance from the GAA once again shows what a useless amateur organisation they are. A continuous embarrassment to the nation. And so on etc.... I gave up GAA as a teenager due to the ongoing pitch-invasion nonsense of my time... loada bollix is not much better in 2022

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

I have two kids, daughter aged 10 plays football and son 7 playing football and rugby.

I am involved in coaching both without having played either sport in any majorly competitive way.

I can see a massive difference between the 2 sports. In rugby, there is respect for the referees and coaches too. It's instilled from day 1. The **** that goes on the GAA pitches is simply not tolerated on a rugby pitch.

At a an u10 rugby blitz last weekend, a coach from each club had to ref a game. Before each game, the coaches all discuss what we want to achieve in the game so we decide what rules are we going to focus on. The biggest issue for every coach was dealing with backchat from their own players. So they all made a conscious effort to hit the kids hard on it.

Neither of my kids are enjoying the football and both are on the verge of quitting. Given what we see and hear on a daily basis, neither my wife or I will be trying to change their minds. It's an appalling culture for an amatuer sport that prides itself about being all about the community. It's toxic in my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭celt262

Why are they on the verge of quitting football, why are they not enjoying it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Interesting point.

You can of course say the same about a lot of things that were common place in the 1930s 40s 50s 60s up to whenever.

The thing is at some point it has to be tackled honestly. Because if its not, nothing changes. And usually with these things, there is one particular case that really jumps out - and puts the issue on the front pages, when it wasnt before, even though its been going on for a long long time.

You've made a fairly seismic leap from "we had an u10 blitz and this is what we did" to "the GAA is toxic".

There are hundreds of thousands of kids in this country who get a lot of value from GAA.

The refereeing is an issue.

Lets not forget either of those two points.

Funny enough, I find the parents can be as bad as the opposing mentors, often a lot worse. We had parents shouting for frees and yellow cards last week - whatever about the Ref hearing it, its a pain in the hole for the kids to hear it (these were 14 year olds).

TBH, in the past two years we've had very few issues with opposing mentors hassling the ref and we dont do it ourselves. There was one yellow card given out to a mentor, that was it.

The bigger challenge in some ways can be getting the kids to respect the ref, mouthing back. A number of times I've thanked a ref after the match for giving our lads a yellow or in one case a red, purely for acting the maggot. Teach them a lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,484 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

"the refereeing is the issue"

OR is it ...

the abuse of referees is the issue

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 21,229 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Absolutely, I wasn't trying to down play it at all rather highlight that the problem has (probably) always been as bad as this... If it was a recent phenomenon then you might think swift action could quickly resolve it, but the issues are ingrained in generations imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭Quitelife

The GAA seem to allow anyone referee matchs despite the fact their not able to referee a match, There appears to be 3 catogories of referees in the GAA

1 The good referee who knows what hes doing

2 The middle of the road referee whos doing his best and will manage away

3 The disaster referee whos only doing it for the 40 euro , hasnt a clue but talks down to everyone and normally makes a mess of it , causes mayhem when theres no need

The GAA allow too many level 3 referees do matchs and they are normally involved in incidents , when clubs/players spend 6 months of the year training and they get a level 3 referee its a receipe for disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,660 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

What is the % split between the three categories?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭Quitelife

I would say in Limerick

90% are level 1 or 2 and 10% level 3 but that 10% create a lot of bad will towards referees not to mention driving many players and mentors/supporters over the edge.

"10% create a lot of bad will towards referees" - This is the kind of logic that perpetuates an abusive focus on refs and attaches the fault of abusive behavior on refs. This is the problem.

Yes, the abuse of referees is the issue - or to be even more specific, aggression from the sidelines spilling on to the pitch as to be fair the referee is not the only recipient - albeit thats what this thread is specifically about, as well as aggression & violence on the pitch both towards the referee and towards opposing players.

• Advertisement

This absolutely nothing to do with the current conversation.

Whether a referee is good, or bad, they dont deserve to be abused.

They need a mechanism to report constantly bad referees.

But it's has to be zero tolerance of physical assault and abuse. The clubs should still that into all club members and parents.

Fair point.

The other probably bigger thing that is ingrained is 'turning a blind eye' to it. Lads that have been shouting at refs for years, that the club and the parents let them at it, let them continue to mentor and coach. Same with players that are in effect dangerous and out to hurt people.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,484 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

You mention it again, but cannot explain how your 'mechanism' would work.....

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

Bear in mind also - why would you even want to ref. Its 40 euro a match, 80 for two games. That would be four or five hours out of your Saturday. The financial rewards are not generous.

Add in the time to do all those 'courses' that lads are calling out for.

Never mind the hassle and abuse from the sidelines....

Some people enjoy it. It's almost like a vocation to the sport. It's keeps them involved in a game that perhaps they wouldn't be otherwise.

I assume.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭celt262

There is one referee in Cavan who is at it every evening during the week and a couple of games at the weekend. He would sometimes have his young children with him and they would sit along the line. It's pure greed and nothing else so he must see it worth his while. Not the worst referee about i might add.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Exactly - I mentioned numerous tims earlier in the thread that people are victim blaming and they're too thick to even realise it

Advertisement