Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Uninterested Grandmother

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭dtothebtotheh

Sounds like the kid is better off without that grandparent to be honest, I was lucky to have a a fantastic grandfather and grandmother on my Dads side, I was their first grandchild and they spoiled me rotten. My Mams side was completely different, absent grandfather (think I seen him about three times in my life) and my grandmother on my Mams side definitely had her favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

If genes were split out evenly then your grandchild is made up of the genes of 3 others besides yourself. In the case of great grandchild this increases to 7 others and keeps doubling from there. Your decendants very quickly become complete strangers genetically and in many other ways. I don't think I would have much interest either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭3DataModem

You can't make her want something she doesn't want, whether its fair or not.

Lots of people would be happy for their parents to set boundaries when it comes to grandchildren.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭ChickenDish

I had wonderful grandparents, ironically they were more doting over their grand kids than their actual kids when they were younger. Anyone who tells you that the grandparents owe you nothing or shouldnt bother with their grand kids are talking out their holes. Everything about how you describe your mother screams narcissism. Normal and healthy family relationships are where your family engage with each other and help each other out, anything else is dysfunctional. No family is perfect, you always allow for certain quirks, but never indifference.

Both sets of my kids grandparents dot on them, this is normal behaviour form grandparents. A grandparent doesnt have to baby sit every week to show they love their grand kids, but some engagement or effort is required otherwise they are just self centered.

Your brother needs to grow the **** up, sounds like a begrudging twat.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭seamusk84

Toxic people, including your brother. They are not good for you and your family.

Cut them out and move on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,758 ✭✭✭zg3409

From the child's point of view it would be nice to have a relationship of some sort.

My child's grandparents are elderly and I don't expect them to drive long distances to visit regularly.

We have a "policy" of attempting to visit one day each weekend but we limit visits to 20-30 minutes as noisy kids are a handful. We also deliberately meet sometimes at playgrounds as it allows kids to run and not be bored.

In reality many grandparents are not up to the job, don't have interest, don't have the strength, remember it's your kid not theirs. I have deliberately not asked them to babysit as I feel it's unfair.

Families often have problems but it's still family particularly from childs point of view. A 15 minute visit once a month might be plenty from all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

You'd have to question some of the answers on here, would people spout this **** in real life? Genetic dissociation?

Your mothers actions and your brothers are absolutely abnormal, i would cut them from your life

I would assume that this behavior is not out of the ordinary and what kind of mother was she to you? Be glad it hasn't ruined you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,243 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Some people aren't interested in kids or family. Thats just life.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Ursulal

The fact you say it was you making all the effort, says all I need to know about your mother.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭triddles

Your mother and brother are behaving disgustingly. Id block both their numbers. Weird fuckers.

---------------------------------------

Warned for Breach of Charter. Tone down the language, and lay off the name calling.

Post edited by Big Bag of Chips on

• Advertisement

I think people don't realize this. But once you do it you can't unsee it.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

You can't change her, and forcing her will only cause resentment.

While I do empathise with your brother, I've also been in the same position with siblings announcing a pregnancy when I was in the throes of yet another miscarriage. It hurts, yes. But you congratulate them, stick a happy smile on and leave to have a quiet cry in private as soon as it's socially possible.

Do you think that your brother is your mother's favourite/ the golden child? It's common if a parent has a favourite kid that their children become the favoured children as well. I see it in my own family dynamic and while it hurt when I first realised, I just withdrew a bit and adjusted my expectations and actually, now my son would be old enough to notice the favouritism, he's not there to witness it or get hurt by it so maybe that's the way to go?

I invite my mother to our family events that you'd typically invite a granny to. She comes if she feels she should, but wont stay long. And we now know that and don't get hurt about it any more. Other times she doesn't come and that's grand too. I visit as often as I feel I should, and help her out if I can - but my own family is my priority, and I've also learned not to give opinions, suggestions or make any decisions she wants me to make on her behalf - because if it goes tits up or isn't how she envisaged then I get blamed for making her do the thing in the first place. Classic scapegoating I suppose and took me an embarrassingly long time to figure out. Emotionally withdrawing is the best thing I ever did.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

OP, it will be better in the long-run for your daughter to have no relationship with her grandmother than one where she feels like a burden. Children pick up on what’s being said and energy/tension a lot more than they’re usually given credit for. She’ll start realising what’s going on sooner than you’ll think.

Let your mother and brother come to you if/when they realise what they’re missing out on, and you can use the extra time and energy you would have spent on your mother on your daughter instead.

Every family's dynamics are different.

OP, I have a feeling - and I know I could be miles of the mark here - that this woman's lack of interest could also be rooted in her trying not to upset your brother. Was he the favourite child?

To be honest, I would be more upset, hurt and angered by his behaviour towards your child. Ignoring her existence for 2 years is appalling.

While fertility issues are difficult, what he has done is not normal, and extremely hurtful. I personally would find that impossible to get past.

I think there's a point where you have to accept you can't get the relationship you want with a parent or sibling. Then move on, life is short, don't waste it on people who aren't interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭triddles

Makes zero sense. The granny can see the kid without the brother. >>Mod Snip<<

---------

@triddles when posting in PI/RI posters are asked to offer constructive advice to an OP in a civil manner. Insulting another poster taking time to offer help to an OP is not considered civil. Please read the Charter before posting here again.

HS

Post edited by Hannibal_Smith on

I think there's a litany of excuses.

They just aren't interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,750 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I've seen this in my own family, albeit to a lesser extent and a generation removed. My own grandmother absolutely idolised and adored my sister's son when we was born. He was the first grandchild to my parents but not her first great-grandchild. My brother had his first daughter less than a year later and my nana couldn't have been less interested in her - even referring to her as "that other child you mind" to my mother on more than one occasion. Needless to say this upset both my brother and my mother greatly but my nana was absolutely oblivious to the fact that she treated them differently when it was pointed out to her - she genuinely couldn't see how much she favoured my nephew.

It sounds like there's a similar dynamic but perhaps with deep-rooted issues at play in your family, OP. I'd echo the suspicions others have voiced that this is more about your brother than it is you. The pandering to his fertility issues is beyond ridiculous. He's not the first to go through this and he won't be the last. He needs to shed his notions of exceptionalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

This thing were it's assumed grandparents should be readily available for childcare...

My OH's aunt is a recent grandmother and she is pretty much babysitting 4-5 times a week, all while she works night shift and struggles to sleep...she is utterly miserable but feels ridiculous guilt if she says no or pushes back even a little

• Advertisement

There's a difference in childcare and being completely disinterested.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Balagan1

Whatever the sensibilities involved and whether or not depression might be a factor, a parent has to cut to the chase and put their child's best interests first at all times. You do not want anyone, be they relative or not, taking care of your child when there is any sign whatsoever that they are unwilling or unable to do so for whatever reason, be it emotional or physical. Just don't do it. The grandmother described by the OP is showing you who she is. Believe her. Your child's safety and security comes first and way ahead of issues of understandable sadness over unmet expectations.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Liath Luachra

OP, congratulations on your littleone. Your brother is simply mirroring your mothers behaviour and fertility issues are a convenient excuse. My brother and his wife have no children and went through years of IVF, all the while babysitting and bondong with my kids. They are godparents to two of them. In contrast, my MIL would not recognise my children if she saw them, the distance between houses is the excuse (an hour) yet she will travel to the ends of the country for clothes shopping. But she, like your mum has shown who she is - family is not important to her, her needs are paramount and simple acts of kindness, such as helping in times of illness etc. are not in her nature. Ironically, my MIL espouses christian values constantly and attends mass 4/5 times a week. Her social media is filled with "be kind" sentiments.

It can be very disheartening and a real rejection if your own parent shows no interest in your new little family but to save yourself more upset, its best to acknowledge that she has shown you there is no interest. This is nothing to do with you and more reflection of your Mum.

We focused on fostering relationships with those who wanted to be in our lives and put our energies there. It sounds like your MIL loves your little one, focus on that, share the photos on family whatsapp - no reason why the rest of your family should not get to know your daughter.

Yes weirdos

I'm sure if they didn't get on then the OP wouldn't be surprised by it

Very few aren't going to be interested in their kids or grandkids

not normal

No, they should want to provide a bit of support for their own kids the odd time, they are still parents themselves

Juts like the kids would look out for them

just because one person takes the piss like the above doesn't change this

• Registered Users Posts: 6,387 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Every family is different so there is no “normal”. The OP has clarified that the parent had always been somewhat distanced and passive, so this isn’t a new dynamic.

Just because it seems weird to you doesn’t mean that it is not normal.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I’d have to wonder if your mother ever actually wanted to have children herself, and whether she felt she had any choice in that decision. Could her rejection of the ‘grandmother’ role have any relationship with her perception of her ‘mother’ role?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

I've 2 young children. I have a sibling with fertility issues, going on several years. Yes I have been a little careful in some of the things I'd say around them, e.g., not talking about how difficult it can be having kids, blahh blahh. But I'd never have dreamed of hiding the birth of my children from that sibling as a shield to protect their feelings! It's a big occasion in a family, it's utterly bizarre to conceal the birth of a child from a sibling on grounds of protecting their feelings!

Your brothers reasons for not visiting or having an interest in your child is tripe. Of course he may feel a little envy, or find baby conversations a little much (fertility issues or not.. .most find those conversations a bit much!), but he needs to manage that himself, same as you need to be considerate of his feelings by not blathering on about baby stuff. But I wouldn't accept his reasons as excuse for not seeing the child who is almost 2.

Remember this though OP, nobody gives as much of a toss about your child as you do. Other people's kids aren't all that interesting to many - me included.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Because for a long time being child free by choice was not a valid choice.

If you had not married and produced a few kids by a certain age you were to be pitied.

There are alot of parents who should never have had children. Only had them as it was what was expected of them.

The OPs mother could easily have fallen into this category. He says it was an unhappy marriage. So being trapped (as seperation/divorce wasn't the done thing) in a marriage with a few kids, you may not have fully wanted doesn't sound like much fun.

She now has her freedom and just wants to suit herself.

As others have pointed out there maybe an element of favouritism towards the brother and is taking the fertility frustrations out on the OP.

None of us really know her reasons behind her actions.

She has shown her cards though so the OP needs to manage their expectations accordingly.

Invite her to the things a grandparent would be invited, if she comes she comes.

If you're invited to dinner go.

However, don't expect/ask for any babysitting or general help.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Mod Note

I have deleted some off topic posts. A reminder to all to offer advice to the OP when replying to their thread.

@triddles and @Flinty997 if you wish to have a discussion on normal or weird family dynamics there are other places on boards where you can do that.

The Charter can be found here if you are new to PI/RI please read it before posting again.

HS

Advertisement