Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ash Dieback Disease (Chalara fraxinea) in Ireland

Options
1202122232426»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Tim what size ash are you talking about in terms of diameter and length (1.3m or so)?

Any ideas on how to split that length

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭timfromtang

Suitable for handles means straight grain usually, once there is going to be at least one handle in each quarter then the log is large enough, larger straight logs will of course yield even more handles, wider quarters are needed for axe handles.

As for splitting, you can certainly go the traditional route, use a club and froe and a cleaving brake, for smaller material, and an axe and wedges for the larger logs.

there would be little wrong with ripping down the pith with a sawmill or indeed a chainsaw and quartering logs this way too.

Handle material is quartered to allow movement whilst drying without introducing stresses into the wood.

tim

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Do you have any problems with woodworm in stored wood Tim? I have a bit of beech racked in a shed and a few creosote stakes left around it and on top seems to deter the moths.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

yes problems there, i've lost some timber in the past to the pesky borers. creosote is a good tip, thanks for that.

tim

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭SCOL

I was going to cut down a few trees that's affected for firewood, when they eventually die is the wood any good for burning ? does it go all wet and spongy or does it dry out ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Best cut them before they die if you want good firewood

I have noticed a good few dying trees beside a road AFAIK there’s no need for a felling licence for road side trees, but what about dying trees away from a road or house? I think it’s better just to get rid of them now before they rot. What is the point in waiting 3 years for a felling licence?

I don't know about the point of waiting for a felling licence, but would say that deadwood standing has significant ecological value and provided trees present no dangers etc there is a benefit of leaving them standing.

I would also note that if a tree presents a hazard then proceed and fell it, licence notwithstanding.

tim

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

The greatest silence aroung Ash dieback is that nobody will admit that this was a monoculture. Why no admittance? Because it is a broadleaf and broadleaf =good, conifer =bad.

Ash has NEVER grown naturally as a monoculture, only in groups or in mixed broadleaf. Sitka Spruce on the other hand, grows as a natural monoculture over 80% of its range, and in mixtures with other conifers, and over its long lifespan of 700 years will diversify.

The blind planting of Ash monocultures without any understanding of its growth patterns is an indictment of the Forest Service technical staff. Given the catastrophe that it has wrought upon the industry for the last 10 years, it it high time that the Forest Service be replaced with a new Forest Authority and its senior forestry staff either fired or pensioned off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭accidental forester

I've started removing about 30% of the 200 ash we put in 9 & 10 years ago. Out of the 200, these are well and truly dead. There's another 30% that are in fairly poor condition; some dead branches or only growth re-sprouting from the base. The question is should I bite the bullet and pull these also? The remaining 40% look okay for the time being. The plan is to replace removed ash with a mix of birch, native cheery, alder, rowan, hornbeam, and oak. I'm in agreement with cavellaria above that mono-cultures are, in general, asking for trouble.

On the positive side, we were gifted a Root Assassin shovel some time ago, it's the ideal tool for digging out smallish trees. I stremmed around each stem first for clean access to the ground then could cut through the remaining sod and lift out the roots.

Anybody know the current procedure for the Ash Dieback or RUS scheme? Can you replant with conifers? What is the grant aid? Last time I looked the Dept was not even processing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,737 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

There is a world of difference between native Sitka forests on the West Coast of the US and block planted monculture plantations of spruce here on peatland soils in terms of ecology, water quality issues etc. Monocultures in general leave such plantations vulnerable to pest issues and Sitka is no different in that respect, which is why its still being sprayed with pesticides by the likes of Coillte etc. much to the understandable dismay of local residents, NGOs etc.

What a load of bollix.

What spraying of Sitka are you generalizing about? No such spraying. Total nonsensical post.

The planting of SS on peat is effectively a thing of the past. I suggest you drop your preconceived notions and familiarize yourself with the history of forestry in Ireland and understand the various reasons peat land was planted. There are several reasons and it now happens where peat depth is less than 50cm. Hindsight is wonderful. The dreck that you and your ilk spread is toxic. Khamer!

Sure your name shouldn't be Birdbrain?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Sure your name shouldn't be Birdbrain?

No need for that sort of childish reply. Attack the post not the poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,737 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Typically hurling childish insults like that smacks of someone whose agenda and BS have been outed - the likes of the Woodland league have highlighted the ongoing issues with poor forestry practices in this country, as has the EPA in terms of the of the detrimental affects via block planting of alien spruce has had on water quality in many upland catchments. I also suggest you get out more cos most folks who visit Coillte, Vulture fund etc. forests in recent years would be very familiar with warning signs advising the public not to gather wild fruit, mushrooms etc. due to applications of pesticides on these plantations

Loaded with prejudice and preconceived ideas.

For the record, the only spraying I am aware of is for pine weevil. Nothing else.

Now I happen to believe that indeed we need pine weevil protection, but that spraying is not the route to go. One cannot guarantee precise targeting of the tree. Best is to replant a clearfell area with large i.e minimum 50cm trees, which have been dipped in the pesticide. There is little if any runoff and no contamination of surrounding vegetation. Trees should also be planted in March April to ensure that the pesticide is available for the first weevil emergence. It works.

The Woodland League...AKA The Fairy Council of Ireland. This organization could do with running a spell-check on its website. I wonder how many of the people involved earn a living suckling at the breast of the Irish State. Quite something else when you make your own income.

I get out alot...more than you'll ever know and I'll eat you for breakfast and spit you out when it comes to discussing forestry. Go teach your granny to suck eggs.

Is this your good self? Or a member of the Fairy Council?

Cavellaria you have been given a warning for personal abuse.

howdy,

as much pain is added to the world when offense is taken as when it is given

perhaps the ash dieback thread is not the place for this?

tim

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭ppn

Well said. Buffoonery of the highest order, on any number of issues.

• Advertisement

Well how are growers feeling after today's 5k per ha announcement?

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Accidentally

I'll wait for the terms and conditions before I get too excited.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Good loser

Not impressed. Growers should be allowed to abandon the forestry enterprise if it is their preference. As a failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 AfricaTwin

By the time all the trees are cleared, drains cleaned, brash tidied etc, I can't see a few bob left in the ash scheme. A few bob from firewood maybe?

( Real ) Inflation will eat into the climate payment as it's paid over number of years.

20 years in, forestry has been a disaster for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭redbeaard

I was initially happy. I have a roughly 10Ha plantation with 80/20 mix spruce to various hardwoods with ash making up 1Ha. Whatever grant was there would be enough so that I could afford to do the necessary work. Then today I see this clause "Ash planted as a component of additional broadleaved planting in conifer plots is not eligible for
    the Scheme."

So I don't qualify. Along with the vast majority of forest owners. I know 1Ha is nothing compared to a full ash plantation but how many Ha's of full plantations are there compared to plantations like mine? I really think the Dept just excluded us because they couldn't handle the volume of paperwork.

I just can't afford this without the grant. I also have a good bit of roadside with a load of very old ash trees that need removal, there are 5 already dangerous looking that I will just about be able to manage myself. I just don't have the time, or the money, to do half of what needs doing.

Advertisement