Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slat Matts 2022

• 20-09-2022 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi all,

Have a new 3 bay suckler shed just finished. i need to put slat matts down - for heavy suckler cows. Ive seen several old threads here on slat matts going back the years. Have got quotes from Comfort, Easyfix and Mayo Mats. The comfort ones by a good bit the most expensive - but from what ive researched may be the best for heavy suckler cows. Easyfix seem to cover the slat holes a bit more and may leave the stcok dirtier - which isnt ideal for suckler cows/calves/scours. Any thoughts from those in a similar situation that may have bought either??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭minerleague

Have easyfix here good no of years, good grip for cows, not the softest but still look the same now as when they went in. cattle stay clean as long as you have pens fairly well stocked. Concreted toe area near feeding barrier to stop them lying there ( instead of flat mat easyfix supply ) I think easyfix now do a mat that slopes more to either side to let water away quicker. ( dont have calved cows in shed so cant comment there )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

@minerleague - do the cows not kick up the edges of your mats at the concreted toe area?

No, the wedges on slat mats are very tight ( had to drive them with sledge ) and concrete is a small bit above the level of the mat (edit to say concrete put in after so to get good depth ended a small bit above mat ) . At the back of the pens I put the flat mat sections on the 18" of bare concrete and never put the screws supplied with them and dirt sometimes gets in at a joint alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Fine Day

Comfort mats here for the few years. Find them a good job and I did a few more pens this year. Have no experience with other brands. There is pros and cons for every brand I'd say. All down to your preference and requirements. It's a long term investment so I would put the time and effort into researching them. A few different companies at the ploughing this week so plenty of options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Sami23

Does anyone have the newer type Easyfix Mats with the sloped curved surface under suckler cows.

How do they compare to the older flat Easyfix Mats in terms of slippyness and cleanliness of the Cows ?

Ordering some next week but unsure which type to go with.

Tia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Talk to one of the reps. I’m after putting in a couple of pens of the curved ones. He said they were best for finishing animals. He will advise.

Yeah I had the rep out alright to measure up and he said people are putting in both types and it's down to personal preference.

He did say the newer ones would definitely be a bit slippery than the originals but loads of people are using them so I was hoping to get opinions of people that are actually using them.

Presume you don't have cattle on yours yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Conversations 3

Anyone use Durapak mats?

Spoke to them at the ploughing and they seemed to be a good crowd, not sure on price yet.

No cattle on them yet. It’s finishing bulls that’ll be going in it. The older ones are a safer bet if you are still unsure when buying them.

Yeah I'm leaning that way alright but just think they'd be a lot cleaner on the smooth ones 🤷‍♂️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 922 ✭✭✭leoch

Wat price are they

Looking like €1100 plus vat per bay for 11'6" slats

What is folks rationale for buying the mats? Is it welfare based or do you think that the increased daily gains will pay for itself?

Thinking about it - am I missing something here?

Teagasc state 0.17kg increase in ADG on slat mats (source: Rubber slat mats deliver benefit in Teagasc finishing trial 13 January 2021 Free (farmersjournal.ie) )

So, in a typical 15ft x 15ft bay that's approx 21m2 and a stocking density of 1 animal per 3.0m2 (as per the study above) that equates to 7 cattle per pen.

Over a 3-month wintering/finishing that is 0.15kg (ADG) x 90 days gives a gain of 13.5kg per animal over the period. Across 7 animals that is a total increase of 94.5kg beyond bare concrete slats.

Taking an approx DW price of €4.25/kg results in an increase income of 4.25 x (94.5/2) = €200 per pen of 7 animals. So, in theory it would take to the end of the sixth year to pay off the slat mats if finishing cattle. Is that not pretty good for return on investment? The lifespan of the mats would be well beyond that timeframe.

Is anyone else seeing improvements like this? Was interesting to note that a study on weanlings showed no significant benefit - must really only benefit when the flesh starts to pile on the animal.

For me it's mainly down to animal welfare as its not easy looking on to see suckler cows near calving struggling to stand up due to slippy concrete slats.

I worked it out like this.

they say It’s an increase of 11kg carcass weight over 120 days. I’d suspect with bulls this may be higher. Many lads finishing bulls run a couple of lots through the shed every year.

So 11kg by a pen of 7 two times a year is 154kg extra per pen @ €4.5 is €693. 2 years should pay for them at that rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Gudstock

Any reviews or experience with the Durapak mats?

I never get near their quoted weights, so scaled it back to 6.75kg carcass. Is a fattening period not usually 3 months as opposed to 4? It's still a decent return.

I wonder is it just a matter of time though before they are compulsory and what that will do to prices?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Conversations 3

I can only find the info on their own website, I'll contact them and get a quote anyway.

http://www.durapakagri.ie/products/durapak-slatted-rubber

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

If they wanted to make them compulsory we would have seen grants to encourage the install in new shed and also for retrofitting Bigger problem is to get farmers to check the condition of slats. New Tams will be interesting to see it they included. The only way I can see them allowing grant aid on mats is if you install new slats

No experience but they cover 3 slats compared to easyfix 2. every second gap in slats is free of any wedges then with easyfix

• Advertisement

Condon's do Kraiburg slat mats. Not sure what they are like, but totally generalising, German stuff is usually well made - although I'm not sure that the space to surface ratio is sufficient for keeping stock clean?

Their trial was bullocks over 120 days. This winter the finishing period could be halved to 60 days in a lot of places.

Tell me more please on how I can half my winter finishing period. I am cautious on finishing cattle this winter with the high input cost and what way the market will be next March.

You’ll halve it by only feeding them for half the time. They’ll not be properly finished obviously.

I’ve heard of a few lads that are letting bulls off as soon as they’ve any sort of cover on them at all (after 40-50 days).

As for bullocks it’d probably be time to get rid of as soon as they hit 2+ if feeding inside.

Would they still meet spec or would there be penalties?

I don't know if I would go that route. I'd carry less and finish them well before I'd considered that. Maybe I am just old school but I feel it's a sin killing cattle that are not fit. I know we are in different time but that's half doing a job in my opinion.

Bulls would be ok at 2- I’d say but they’d grade and kill out better with more flesh on them

This thread has go me looking at the comfort mats again and I just noticed something in the Installation Instructions. There doesn't seem to be a mat which covers the 350kg - 750kg range - which most of us running weanlings and finishing would require. I'm guessing that the dairy mat would be the one to opt for though with a talk to them.

Another thing is that we have central mixing points (no ability to move outside) and these mats have a 1tonne limit. So a non-runner - disappointing as I think they are the best system in regards to space to surface ratio. Not sure if the others can handle a tractor on them.

Just seen in todays farming life that slat mats are now grant eligible in northern Ireland.

Might be soon the same in South.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭DBK1

Hi Cavan, just wondering how you found these mats after a year with them? I rang Easyfix today for pricing and a rep is to ring me back later. I’d be interested to get your opinion on them. Thanks.

Advertisement