Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shock Absorber rebuild Service

Options
  • 26-09-2022 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭

Is there anywhere that rebuilds shock absorbers? I have a 2002 CB400SF and the back shocks aren't great!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭ratracer

I used VMTEK in Cork a few years ago and was very happy with the service:

http://www.vmtek.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭muddle84

I will give them a shout. thanks for that. Is that for a road bike or track? I presume they do both

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

Surely it would be mad expensive to recondition a shock?

Would it be cheaper and easier just to replace the whole thing. Shocks are cheap consumables.

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

Once its just the seals that are gone you're just paying for a few seals and oil and labour so I would have thought a couple of hundred for the pair. But somebody might be able to correct me on that.

The shocks for my bike definitely aren't cheap, I've found it very hard to source and the only place i have found them is 1100 this the reason I am looking at the rebuild root.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭ratracer

It was a road bike for me, it was the front end of my VFR800 that I got done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Fabio

Try VMTEK and NDM (they're about the only places around really).

Don't hold out hope though. I attempted to have my OE-Showa VFR 750 rear shock rebuilt here. It's not officially rebuildable in the way that something from Ohlins, Wilbers, YSS, Hagon is.

I ended up sending it to a crowd in England (MCT suspension) and they rebuilt it for me. It might be an option for you, plenty of places over there do this work including Ktech, Firefox Suspension, Brooks Suspension, but I don't know whether Brexit has destroyed that idea now with potential customs charges etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I replaced the air shock on my H-D from Hagon with a pair of brand new ones for less than the cost of the repair. Even made me a custom length and I had them in 4 days from UK. It literally wouldn't pay you to open the old ones up.

About £410 - £590 for a pair of Nitron piggyback shocks for yours.

https://www.hagon-shocks.co.uk/common/pdf/TwinShocks2022.pdf

https://www.hagon-shocks.co.uk/

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

Oh right. We are talking performance stuff.

I was just thinking your average run of the mill shocks. These would be just consumables as in when they are shot you just replace them.

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

Certainly not talking performance in my case! Its just a 2002 CB400sf run about, just parts are very hard to source for it!!

I love those CB400s! I knew a guy before who had one and replaced the stock shocks with ones he got from China. I'm not one of those people who would usually slate Chinese products, I keep an open mind, but the rear of the bike was awful. It was so bouncy, it was as if they forgot it needed oil for damping!

Look into YSS shocks, they're reasonably priced (still expensive but, for what they are they're a good price).

• Advertisement

Thanks for that, where do you source the shocks?

I found a YSS for my Deauville on ebay. It was actually secondhand, got it from a breakers in Poland for very reasonable money and the shock was in great nick, I'd say it'd been barely used. That said, anything was going to be better than the standard shock which had all the damping and control of a pogo stick at this stage in its life!

+1 for YSS. I got one for my Versys 650 and it transformed it from something that impacted my spine on every bump to a bike that now makes prime motorway out of even the roughest Irish boreens.

Did you source yours from ebay too?

I see they are on xlmoto too but hard to get specs for the shocks on that

• Registered Users Posts: 35,057 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

You've probably arrived here from the homepage, we are not talking about cars here.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

no, not performance stuff.

The majority of bikes run on very mundane bike shocks.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

I got it from some company in the UK. I got YSS shocks before for a CB750 on eBay and am convinced they were fakes.

I toke apart the rear shocks and they were completely done, the oil had completely leaked out of one of them altogether! I ended up getting YSS units from Motorcyle parts Ireland in Cork. They have transformed the bike completely, I had no idea it was as bad as it was until I fitted the new ones!

Thanks for the help everybody! I 've managed to source the oil seals for the front shocks so will rebuild them myself over the christmas!

Is that Pat, formerly of Lee Honda, who has Motorcycle Parts Ireland?

Nice fella.

Yeah Pat's the man I was dealing with. Extremely helpful!!

• Advertisement

Glad you got sorted. Must keep an eye on that site next time I'm looking for bits and bobs.

Advertisement