Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ballisodare road works.

Options
  • 22-06-2015 10:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭gabe1977

Does anyone know when the ongoing roadworks in Ballisodare are due to be completed.
    Pass here twice a day and it's a serious pain especially in the evening.
    How it takes 2 months to complete a 200 yard stretch of road is mad.. Never seems to be any work going on when I pass just a lot of workers standing around

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

gabe1977 wrote: »
    Does anyone know when the ongoing roadworks in Ballisodare are due to be completed.
    How it takes 2 months to complete a 200 yard stretch of road is mad.. Never seems to be any work going on when I pass just a lot of workers standing around
    the end of this month or july. its a bit longer than 200 yards...

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭gabe1977

shanec1928 wrote: »
    the end of this month or july. its a bit longer than 200 yards...

Not much longer if it is. Do you not think it's very slow progress for what is a relatively short piece of road.
    How long have they been working on it now. Must be two months

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

That reminds me of a story a friend of mine once told me. His dad owned a construction company and had a tender from Leitrim CoCo. Anyway, my mate starts doing some summer work for his Dad's company and after the first week, his Dad called him into the office. He was pretty angry and he told him to slow down and stop working so hard. Because at his rate of work, the job would be finished in 3 weeks. And his Dad had planned to stretch out the job for 6 months. It's the kind of sleveenism, that sums up what's wrong with this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Not much longer if it is. Do you not think it's very slow progress for what is a relatively short piece of road.
    How long have they been working on it now. Must be two months

Not really its about a half a mile of road where the drains have had to be laid on either side of the road and the whole road is being resurfaced with parts if not all of it being dug completely out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

That reminds me of a story a friend of mine once told me. His dad owned a construction company and had a tender from Leitrim CoCo. Anyway, my mate starts doing some summer work for his Dad's company and after the first week, his Dad called him into the office. He was pretty angry and he told him to slow down and stop working so hard. Because at his rate of work, the job would be finished in 3 weeks. And his Dad had planned to stretch out the job for 6 months. It's the kind of sleveenism, that sums up what's wrong with this country.

What usually happens is the council guys have time set aside for a job and the contractor has to fit their schedule. They're only to happy to rack up the charges but at the end of the day it's council foremen and engineers that oversee the job. Resurfacing a road or other big jobs would often be done on tender so they should want to do it as quick as possible as you tender a price and that's what you get paid on completion whether it takes you a week or a month.
    I got caught in the traffic at Ballysadare last week so on the way home I took the back roads. Didn't save any time but I prefer moving to sitting in traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭whatswhat

End of July I heard. Hope they don't let the lads out on it after that painted Cemetery Road to do the markings. They have been quiet of late so paint stocks must be building up and they will be getting bored, not a good combination. They will be like something out of trap 5 once they get the go ahead, you watch.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

whatswhat wrote: »
    End of July I heard. Hope they don't let the lads out on it after that painted Cemetery Road to do the markings. They have been quiet of late so paint stocks must be building up and they will be getting bored, not a good combination. They will be like something out of trap 5 once they get the go ahead, you watch.:D

Might be saving them for Hughes Bridge as well. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

Apparently Engineers outnumber manual workers by a margin of 4 to 1 in the council, because all manual work is now contracted out, whereas all the work on the technical/professional side is, ummm, ermm also contracted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭whatswhat

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Might be saving them for Hughes Bridge as well. :D

You're not wrong!:D
    It will be epileptic fits all round the Monday morning we all drive into that!

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭aunt aggie

Any update on when this will all be over? Monday I drove through at about half 8 in the morning and both lanes were open with no lights in sight. Today the traffic lights are back. Wrecking my head!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭littlejp

They've started painting some of the road marking so hopefully soon. It's been going on for far too long in my opinion. What is is, 6 months now?

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭aunt aggie

littlejp wrote: »
    They've started painting some of the road marking so hopefully soon. It's been going on for far too long in my opinion. What is is, 6 months now?
    Hopefully :) Driving through this morning lights were back up again even though no works were taking place. There was just a white van parked in the closed lane. I understand it's a big job and it take awhile, but I don't understand why they can't open both lanes at busy times of day!!

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭gabe1977

went through it this evening and the road is finished and marked yet there was still lights.
    Ridiculous the length of time this small piece of road has taken!!

Its a joke at this stage in Ballisodare, three sets of traffic lights for a small section of footpath replacement! Massive tailbacks on three main roads coming into the village!

• First Covid 19, then Russia invades the Ukraine and now this, where will it end?

• Registered Users Posts: 46,094 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Is this the same roadworks that were being discussed in this thread 7 years ago?

No,footpath works on the Colloooney bound road from Ballisodare!

Advertisement