Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Peer to peer car rental

• 28-09-2022 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hello,

Has anyone tried peer to peer car rental platforms like Fleet? How does it work if you rent out your car? Do many people use it? Does it tend to be busy and have there been any issues?

Any information would be great! Either as a renter or as a renter. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

• Registered Users Posts: 19 modea2011

Thanks! Yea the discussion is quite dated though - I was wondering if anything has changed as car rental prices have shot through the roof and I think the Fleet platform was quite new in 2019, no-one on this thread seems to have used it, but they are very skeptical.

Maybe it still hasn't taken off? Does anyone use it? It seems like a good idea but maybe not in practice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I just looked on the Play store for the Fleet app and it's only had 10k downloads, I'm one of them who installed when they launched and uninstalled it shortly after, so it's not popular.

It's a bit like Elon saying that people will be renting out their €100k Tesla's when they have level 5 autonomous driving. No one who values their car will rent it out to strangers. While most people don't rally rentals every rental I've had over the last few years has had paint damage, either world brands or cheap local places, and some have had serious issues. I've been in cars with people who have no mechanical sympathy.

What happens if the renter seriously damages your car? You might not notice for a long time, so you can't prove it was them and have to pay for the repair yourself, or until its too late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

Stupid idea that would never work in practice.

You wouldn't know what sort of weirdo or prick would rent your car. They could have kids getting sick or pissing in it. Do drug runs. Dogs.

People would intentionally abuse and rally the car. People who burn clutches.

It's not popular because anyone who values their car wouldn't do it.

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

I dunno about dated, last posts were from August 2022 and one of them by someone who had used the app

• Advertisement

Aha! I didn't see the second page. Thanks for that, first hand experience exactly what I was looking for, although yea it seems like it doesn't get too much business

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭zg3409

I rented a few times my third car which did not get much use. It was often to the same person.

I looked at hiring a few times but never actually did.

One of the issues is your "request" to hire and it takes time to get approval from renter. Those wanting to hire cars may put out multiple requests to multiple people to ensure they get something for say the next day and then cancel all the other requests.

The final price including car and compulsory insurance can be quite high, but the hire price is set by car owner.

The other general things are what happens if car breaks down at other side of country and renter abandons it.

What happens if renter does not come back the day or time they promised or they come back but the car owner is not around to inspect the car.

What happens if petrol tank is empty?

What happens if car is scratched or damaged, do you need to put in an insurance claim?

It can work particularly if you have a spare car to rent and you are not too worried about it. It does not seem to have taken off. There are similar apps in USA that a very popular like air b n b is for rental. Plenty of horror stories from usa but still used a lot to undercut hire companies.

The big upside for renters is there may be cars available in your area outside cities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

If there is an accident and your insurer finds out you hired out your vehicle, there will be a big pile of plop to deal with, regardless of whether ot not the hirer has arranged cover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,726 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Anybody used the app recently? Doesn't seem to be working for me today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭zg3409

I'm getting an error too if I open the app

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭mikeecho

This just had red flags all over.

In Ireland the registered other is responsible in almost every bad senario .

If the renter doesn't have insurance .. did the reg owner allow them to drive without insurance?

That's a summons.

Does the registered owner know who's driving the car at any given time.

That's a summons.

In this country.. peer to peer rentals is just a bad idea.. the laws aren't there to protect either party.

Post edited by mikeecho on

Advertisement