Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Tiernster7

Mary Considine on Mandy Johnston show on Newstalk.

Working with airlines towards next summer (Aer Lingus, Ryanair)

Looking for new airlines (Delta, American Airlines) mentioned

Delta and AA would be coming back if anything not new. Hopefully Ryanair can add extra capacity.

Aer lingus id be very surprised. No base and they have even cut the ORK base in half to 2 a/c from 4. So ORK first for any growth outside DUB id say

Not everyone wants to go to America. Mary Considine need to get this into her head.

Agree, I Would love to no what the route Team are up to. There is So much could be done with Ryanair. No new routes even from them for this Winter. Just new summer routes extended.

I know they are in recovery mode but this is even before the pandemic. SNN was very slow to get EU routes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

The lack of Northern European routes is a joke. You used to be able to fly to Paris (BVA), Berlin (SXF), Brussels (CRL) and Frankfurt (HHN) (and probably more I can't remember) from Shannon.

Luckily Vueling are bring Paris back via OLY, but more needs to be done.

• Advertisement

There is a section in middle of interview where she talks about the routes team talking to everyone but what I've said is very much what she calls out. Agree with Cookie though, while I work for a US multinational and their visits are facilitated by Shannon more then half of the visits are Belgium and the Netherlands, for that they are going through Dublin.

We house share most years and can see the houses liking ours. Germany and France are where all our requests come from. France has got alot better in last 6 months to be fair.

Anecdotally I see lots of reasons why a connection to Frankfurt, Charleroi or Amsterdam would be seen as a huge win for the region.

On Clare FM the head of communications in Ryanair was asked directly about Northern Europe, not much of an answer given but at least he knew it is a pain point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

What do u expect out of a glorified accountant,no talking to her sure.. like asking a plumber about your electrics. same crap she goes on about the whole time.

Post edited by JamesBond2010 on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭Masala

But its always the same with both Shannon and Cork... a fixation on getting USA flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭pajoguy

Mary welcomed the Indian Ambassador to Shannon today to view the facilities. Hope he got to see a plane or two take off.

Cork has good EU route network though. FRA/AMS/LHR and more routes with FR. Hopefully EI increase there services again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

Ya she showed him everything Cdp,Vip, even the Airplane gallery

• Registered Users Posts: 15,635 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Anyone know what the current security times are like? And the breakfast queues?! Flying out Friday morning.

2 minutes for both

He saw the Lanzarote flight anyway and probably the 2 New Yorks too. I was on the Lanza one and saw her walking him around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

I really think a route east has potential from shannon. Shannon to dubai. When you think of the amont of irish teaching over there, then Dubai been a hub for Asia, Australia and New Zealand. Not to mention the large influx of workers from India into the midwest region in recent years.

Totally argee with previous poster not everyone wants to fly to the US. While more US routes would be welcomed, esp the return of Chicago the European side of the business needs to be ramped up

I really don't know. I know from looking at flights to Australia via shannon recently the comparison really isn't too bad if you were within an hour of Shannon.

Airlines like Malaysian Airlines operate 3 day a week flights from London, so I guess a service like this 2 to 3 days a week to the middle east could be attractive.

I'm surprised about the ambassadors visit, I don't see the angle. The French ambassador visit was clearer as was the reason for the visit(and the outcome with Marseille and Paris).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭McSween

I saw EI-HES 737 max8 take off to EDI today. I assume there is no way of seeing a schedule of what a/c you’d fly on. I’d like to go on one of these.

Manchester cut from 5 times weekly to 3 times weekly for the winter.

Was previously showing as 5 times weekly for the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Best of luck to the paris route. Hopefully its a success and may get increase frequency on it

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Flew from Shannon recently. A few thoughts:-

1/. It was a pleasure to use the facility. No queuing, and a fairly speedy journey through security too.

2/. The new scanners are class. No need to get laptops or electronics out. Same for liquids.

3/. A nice touch was that the CEO was actually right in front of me going in through security. I didn't realise I was a VIP. She looked very classy.

4/. Ryanair to Lanzarote - flights were on time (actually ahead of time a bit) and were exactly what it said on the tin. Great value also.

Post edited by Henry Ford III on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,261 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Flying out early (06.45) in a couple of weeks, anyone confirm you can get a breakfast from 5am onwards?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭knockon

JJ Ruddles open in arrivals hall at 5am. Sat and Sun 6am. Buffet breakfast served

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Paddico

It really is a pleasure.

Dublin is a first class dump

I thought Kerry - Dublin was also a PSO too.

Anyhow this sounds like its being considered too. Amsterdam capacity is being reduced, and I've seen Klm have already announced their winter routes (Katowice, aarhus & nantes the new ones) but this would be very good, and honestly the most required route right now.

https://www.clare.fm/news/aviation/department-transport-considering-request-provide-shannon-amsterdam-route/

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

Ryanair took over the Kerry Dublin route last year on a commercial basis after Stobart collapsed. Would be nice for SNN to win Amsterdam as the connectivity from Schipol is fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭Masala

"....... financial support is provided to airlines to operate what are considered ‘essential’ services in isolated areas......"

WOW.... gonna be a hard sell to say that Shannon /Limerick are now 'isolated' areas and need a subsidised services to Amsterdam so that the area can stay connected to the rest of the world.

Agree , it opens up a huge can of worms. I guess the angle will be Brexit and protecting the FGI presence in the region.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭finbarrk

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Providing a subsidy for that route would be absurd and open a massive can of worms.

Why would IAG operate routes to London, Paris, New York and Boston if some other airline will get a subsidy for a measly route to Amsterdam.

No real consideration behind this, just simple politicians trying to be seen to do something.

• Advertisement

I agree but maybe IAG are the ones who'll get the subsidy

Advertisement