Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Softening house market?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,383 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

They either negotiate reduced rents or move to somewhere they can afford.

Explain to me how you think that subsidising the market decreases the number of people renting? There is a finite pool or property for rent. There are a certain number of people competing for properties.

I'll give you a simplisitic example below with three scenarios. I make it simplistic because there appears to be difficultly on here with basic concepts.

(1)

There are 3 identical properties to rent in an area. 5 people really want to rent there. The maximum amounts that they can pay or are willing to pay in rent are as follows:

Person A: 100

Person B: 90

Person C: 80

Person D: 70

Person E: 60

Under this scenario, the rent will be 80 Euro. A/B/C will get the houses and D/E won't.

(2)

Now a second scenario with the same people and same houses where the government subsidises every who rents to the tune of 50 quid. Now the amounts people who are willing/able to pay are:

A: 150

B: 140:

C: 130

D: 120

E: 110

Result!! Now E can afford to pay more than A used to be able to pay............ But wait, there are still only 3 houses and now the price is set by C at 130. A/B/C will still get the houses and D/E won't. It hasn't changed their financial situations, but it has made the landlords very happy.

(3)

Let's take one final scenario. The government decides to give 50 quid rent subsidy to all low paid workers (C+D+E). The amount that the people can now pay or are willing to pay to live in that area is

A: 100

B: 90

C: 130

D: 120

E: 110.

Woo-hoo. Problem solved according to awec. Now D&E are able to rent a house along with C. We can all go home. Wait, what about A&B you say? That they now can't rent there? Ah don't mind them. The problem is solved. A can go and just pay his 100 to live in a less desirable area. Plus the price in this area is now 110 so the landlord still gets a nice bump too.

• Administrators Posts: 53,732 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

or move to somewhere they can afford.

Honestly, I think you are completely out of touch with the rental market. You have no grasp on the reality of the situation if you think this is how it works.

People on these subsidies require them to be able to house themselves. Do you think they are all living in top-notch accommodation, and there's a ton of cheaper properties lying around empty? What do you think happens when people evicted from their current tenancies all start competing for these cheaper properties?

This is like suggesting people who get income supports should just find themselves a better paying job, sure their income support is artificially making everything more expensive for everyone else. We're at that level of thinking here.

There is no way to remove the subsidies without having an alternative available, unless you are willing to accept rising homelessness as a consequence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 The mrs

I have been a long time lurker on this thread and finally registered because scenario 3 in your post is my big yes moment.

Long time renter here with no assistance from government and yes to everything you said, I cannot afford the level of rent landlords expect because those with assistance can afford more hence living in a very low standard apartment in a less desirable area despite a higher than average salary.

You still haven't explained how you think that having C,D&E in the houses in scenario 3 leaves less people needing housing compared to A,B&C getting the houses as per Scenario 1.

We'll just have to assume that you are someone with a vested interest. Either the person in Scenario 3 who gets benefits to jump over A&B, or else the landlord who is benefitting from the artificially inflated market. You are only seeing things from the viewpoint of D&E. The poster immediately above is either A or B who is seeing the reality.

The point here is still sailing over your head. I am not a vested interest. The only house I own is the one I live in. I have never been a landlord, and I have never received any rental support from the government.

Of course the government subsiding rents will lead to higher overall rents due to increased competition for a limited supply, nobody has disputed this. But it's such a vacuous point to make, the government HAS to subsidise rents. There is no alternative other than mass homelessness.

The reason you can't answer what happens to the people who get subsidies if they are cut is because you know full well what happens to them is very bad, but it's easier to just pretend they don't exist than accept this reality.

• Advertisement

So maybe we could have solved the housing crises by allowing a 2x5k tax credit rather than 2x500? We might be sitting here today talking about what we will do with all these extra houses?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,474 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

That is all rubbish. From 2016-2022 there was no increase in HAP rates yet rents skyrocketed. RPZ's should have caped rents to modest increases however during one of the largest increases in rental income from houses LL's ran out the door.

The biggest factor in house and rental prices is SUPPLY. Last time I rented my houses I did not have to advertise. Most houses now are rented by word of mouth. One of the biggest factors in rent increases is RPZ rules. The compounding factor in 1-2% rent increases yearly rather than only increasing when a tenancy ends is a huge factor in higher rents

The quite simple factor with HAP is that without it LL would not take those tenant's that could not afford the rental rates. These LL's would either sell up or leave houses vacant. Move into the house for 30 days a year avoids the vacancy tax.

It's exactly the same with HTB. Without it builders would probably concentrate on the mover upper market more than the FTB. It's questionable whether removing it would see a price drop equivalent to the value of the HTB. It would also prevent a cohort from managing to put a deposit together.

You are posting theoretical rubbish. It the equivalent of ''if my aunt had balls she be my uncle''. Essentially the government is giving an edge to FTB over investors and mover uppers. If the subsidity was not there would house prices drop by 20-30k or would builders target other markets.

One thing for sure the REITs would not be crying if it went.

Slava Ukrainii

Bass, things are not binary. And what you are invoking is a non-sequitur. Just because rents went up when HAP did not does not mean that increasing subsidies would never affect the market.

An analogy would be me saying that being drunk when driving would increase your chances of crashing your car. And you retorting that that is rubbish based on the fact that your buddy crashed his car when he wasn't drunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Q&A

So in all 3 examples 3 people are housed today and 2 are not. Option 2 & 3 are inflationary and do nothing to provide extra rented homes tonight.

Might option 2 & 3 serve a public good if it leads someone to build and rent an extra property (or 2) if they thought they could get a higher level of rent

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Ozark707

Can we split off this off HAP issue and get back to discussing whether the market is softening or not

Apologies that it went over your head there Bass. It appears to happen a lot so I'll take it you don't mind

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Looks to be slowing in Galway City for sure. 100+ property's on daft.ie compared to this time last year but decent sized houses are still selling and especially houses in good condition , seen asking prices drop in the last 2/3 months for do-uppers. What'S happening in the apartment sector here I have not been following at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭houseyhouse

I’m aware of a couple of houses in Galway in desirable areas/good condition that have been on the market for months. At the same time I’ve seen a few houses go up recently with crazy asking prices so either the owners are insisting on high asking prices or estate agents think there’s still plenty of money to be spent .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

With the new levy on concrete and bricks etc, I'd think that anything that would need work would 'soften' even more, and may help turn key houses hold value?

I see myself that houses that need work in are a shock when I get a quote on anything that needs to be done-windows. doors, electrical work... the whole shebang really.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,217 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

The discussion was not about HAP although one or two posters zoomed in on only it. It was about whether the government would intervene again to keep prices high.

It has intervened by giving tax credits to all renters in the recent budget. That is, in all practicality, a subvention to landlords.

If prices decreased, and, say hypothetically the government decided that landlords could now pay zero tax on rental income, then that would be an example of something which would inflate the prices again. So government interference is indeed relevant to the market. If you want to look across the water for an example of an indirect effect, due to the UK governments ridiculous fiscal plans, consensus forecasts for 2-year fixed rates for next Summer have jumped up to 6.5%! Their central bank might have to decimate their property market in order to try to counter their proposed fiscal measures.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Not sure if the market is softening - if there is a leveling off or the start of the begining of a fall - it might be irrelavant for many wishing to buy as mortgage rates seem to be heading upwards a bit which, together with cost of living increases and wider worries about lending, may make it more difficult to access the funds needed to buy in the first instance.

(The area I am near, hasn't seen any major decreases in sales prices or increases in the number of housees for sale in the past few months so no softening as such here as of yet)

It will definitely make it more difficult to buy. The conditions required to drop house prices are the same conditions that make it more difficult to buy. If it's still easy to buy, prices won't drop. A lot of people have it in their head that prices will drop and everything else stays the same.

As I've said over and over on this forum, the only way house prices drop is if potential buyers are removed from the market. Many, many people who think they will benefit from falling prices will be in for a shock when they realise they were the collateral damage that caused prices to drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

Have you figures Claw Hammer its pay protected?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭kippy

It does depend on the circumstances of the buyer - but yes, in general rising costs of living and interest rates don't make it easier to buy.

One would suggest that these will remove potential buyers from the market - and if you are someone that isn't impacted by rising rates/increased costs of living then you will benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

There will also be the element of people who can afford to buy thinking hang on another 3 - 6 - 9 - 12 months prices might continue dropping, which will further take from the demand side on the short term.

It doesn't give the overall figure of decline, it just says an overall decline. But it does give figures for sub-categories:

Buy-to-let mortgage approvals down 21%

Approvals for people moving house down 5.4%. Movers account for roughly 20% of mortgages.

Approvals for first time buyers up 0.7%. FTB approvals account for 44% of mortgages.

Approvals for mortgage switchers up 179.5%.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭wassie

I dont have any hard data, but observing the Property Price Regiser over the last few months, sales appear to be taking a very long time to complete after going sale agreed, especially outside of Dublin. If this is true, then the time lag involved with getting data that shows any drop in prices may take longer than usual.

Anyone have any data on sale volumes that may indicate if this is happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭IWW2900

Things are unraveling quickly in the UK. Crazy. More than 300 residential mortgage products withdrawn from market in last 24 hours

Anyone who thinks we wont face our own problems is living under a rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭IWW2900

Now now facing rising mortgage rates, just as pension funds are getting hammered.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,024 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

They are fixed rate products that will be replaced you would imagine, but again proof that the circumstances that cause prices to fall will remove a lot o buyers who are convinced they might be in a position to pick up a bargain.

So basically you are looking at BTL's being significantly down. Two thing about that last year when I got into a BidX auction site I would see a lot of properties going for auction. However the banks have moved through these so there is probably less demand for BTL loans.

Switchers are down 5.4% of 20%= to about 1% of the market. FTB is up 0.7% which is where the action is.

The only real drop is in investors but there market has ceased( bank property auctions).

Basically nothing to see here

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Fantana2

The huge number of switchers could be delaying all other applicants.

6.96kwp South facing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭wassie

Yep - their mortgage products have (or did have) a variety of features available to consumers. I was always impressed with what is available in Aus - features like offset accounts are brillant and fee packages. But none of that in Ireland thanks to no competition - bog standard loans for Paddy and thats that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement