Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home heating automation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,711 ✭✭✭deezell

It's not relevant per se, but your existing boiler does have an unusual set of connectors that facilitate firing specifically to heat HW. If these had been connected, it would have made transference to the new boiler a little more complex. From what you say, heating of HW by the boiler is incidental to the heating for CH. There are no controls specifically for HW, so this will remain the same with a new boiler connected to existing flow and return, and triggered by a new smart stat via OT terminals. This will be a very simple install so, as there are no zone valves to open, and all flow comes from the new boilers internal circulation pump. In that case an OT connection will give the added benefits of communication between boiler and stat, enabling fine control of the boiler flow temperature to supply the required room heat with the lowest return flow temperature. Its this return flow that enables the best rate of heat recovery from the flue gases in the condenser, and thus optimum efficiency. It may mean cooler HW temperatures in your cylinder though, if after the initial heating if your radiators, the flow temperature is reduced to lower holding levels. It shouldn't be a big problem, but it does mean that there are no specific calls for heat to the boiler for HW only, it will have to depend on the flow temperature under OT CH control being hot enough for your HW needs. Its simple enough to override an OT boiler to fire at full temperature in non OT mode for HW only if you decided to add that feature, but thats another discussion.

That eph is just a battery powered wired thermostat.

Tadi will do as many zones as you want, it's just that you can only have on wireless CH wall stat, if you're adding the extension kit for wireless CH and HW timing. Additional CH zones are possible with wired wall stats.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

These houses were built with a single zone. Even though the boiler has a switch for HW only, they were never plumbed. RGI down the street is entirely unimpressed with it, and also hasn't worked out how to do better w/o ripping out half the house. For HW, the solar PV mostly does an excellent job, and it's easy enough to schedule overnight boosts if we find the new boiler doesn't have the hot water hot enough.

My gas man is a massive TRV fan, TRVs as far as the eye can see (unless the rad is tiny or its where the main thermostat lives). I'll swap out a few smart ones for rooms that get used occasionally, but the manual ones do well for us now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 aoifem11

Hi,

Interesting thread here, hope I’m not going off topic….

We had a hive system installed shortly after moving into our house 2 years ago and the installer told me mid install that he was going to have to install it in such a way that the upstairs zone would only work when downstairs was also on.

This defeats the purpose of having zones and is wasteful and expensive for us…

Might be hard without seeing the system but do you have any idea if I can get someone to set it up as two independent zones?

We had a new boiler installed in Jan and I asked the engineer but they didn’t want to get involved in the hive set up - although I’m not sure it’s actually a hive issue.

Aoife

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

For a Hive setup to control two zones you need two receivers, each receiver is independently wired to an individual zone valve.

You then sync a stat to a receiver and put it in the correct location (upstairs or downstairs).

Can you confirm if you only have the one receiver (white box with solid green light - sometimes installed directly beside the zone valves).

• Advertisement

Thanks Wildcard.

Tried to attach a pic (which may or may not work), and I see the unit you mean with a green light… And there is only one of them in the house.

So I guess what I need is an engineer to come and set up zones, which may or may not be a simple job from reading other similar threads.

Thanks for explaining that.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

Hey, no if you have only one receiver that means there can only be one zone.

What you needed at the time were two receivers. I'm not expert to be clear, just going off how I did mine. Deezel seems to be the best to confirm I'm right before you go spending a load of money ha!

Essentially, I think, you need two white boxes which will also mean two thermostats.

Your best bet is to buy another Hive setup, you don't need another Hub so shouldn't cost as much, and contact an electrician who should be able to redo the system for you by wiring receiver A to zone valve A and receiver B to zone valve B.

So, I'd be saying buy this:

Again, no expert. You could contact Hive to be sure there'll be no issues between the Hive units (again, this is what I have so should be fine but better safe than sorry).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Be careful with Opentherm, depending on the boiler, some have problems modulating at low temps (below 40c) and when TRVs or other valves are closed, the return comes back too warm and can cause boiler to short cycle. This happened to me with Ideal Combi boiler, works okay with all valves open, modulates at 45c and boiler doesn't have to cycle but when it can't shed excess heat it causes a problem.

Make you want to pull your hair out. Let me guess, you got the Hive as part of an energy company upgrade? Some blather about saving with smart controls etc. Blah blah, then someone arrives out and defeats your two zone system with a single stat. This has been going on for years, and the energy utilities were collecting a fat payment (effectively a grant), on the basis they had 'upgraded' your system to a more efficient smart home.

@WildCardDoW is correct, you need to buy another Hive CH stat and receiver, without the hub. Only €113 in Screwfix.

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/hive-hubless-active-v3-wireless-heating-smart-thermostat/673jk

Before you got hive, had you two manual wired stats on your zones? Probably an older 3 zone controller next to the boiler, 2 CH and HW. This was probably removed and replaced with the hive receiver. I notice your existing Hive receiver is the 2 zone, 1CH and 1 HW model. With any luck, the wiring behind this will show one connection out to your HW valve, and two wires from the CH terminal out to each of the CH valves. Locate the CH zone valves, they're probably in your hotpress. Check when you turn on your single CH zone that both valves open. They'll whirr, and may have a small pilot light. The receiver of the new hive stat can be wired next to the existing one, and the control wire to the upstairs zone valve transferred to the SL of the new receiver. Its a job for a sparks, or even a bright spark who's handy with diy and a phase tester screwdriver. Gas fitters are generally scared of this simple wireless tech. They just like to see one wire arriving into the boiler with a switched live (SL) voltage on it to fire it. The zone valve wiring and the boiler SL from the zone valve relays is something they would let an electrician supply.

Yes it was a seemingly good deal to help SAVE energy, and correct that it replaced an existing 3 zone controller. Grrrrr….

Good to know it’s an electrician I need because I did ask the guy that installed the gas boiler in Jan and he really didn’t want to get involved in the Hive setup, I just got a blank look.

Thanks again.

Aoife

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I went with a wired Tado thermostat and 6 radiator thermostats, threw some discount codes at their website and managed to get 20% off in the end as well which was way cheaper than anywhere else.

Are these codes generic? And not expired? Do share.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Raoul

I have a 2 channel climote that I want to replace. I have a combi boiler with no hot water tank.

I was looking at the Drayton wiser system but any of the offers seem to include the thermostat which I don't really want. I use home assistant. So essentially I just want to use the hub as a switch.

My thermostats are in silly places in the house where I don't necessarily need to get to that temperature.

If you don't have temperature feedback from a thermostat, then you can't set up your zones to heat to a set temperature, even with Home Assistant. All you could do is turn the individual zones on and off for set periods of time, with the temperature reached in each zone unregulated, climbing and falling, too hot maybe, or too cool, entirely without feedback and control. You do not need the wiser system for that. A couple if cheap SonOff wireless switches will allow you to set on/off times via Home Assistant.

What you should do is get the Drayon Wiser (or Hive) system with two Smart wireless stats. These Smart stats can be optimally located, to replace the Silly stats you currently have, with meaningful temperature readings. The receivers for these stats will then replace the two channel Climote to control the two zones. You can use home assistant to set these stats' temperatures and adjust their schedules, or you could just use the stats' own apps to set them up, and use HA to monitor, and manually boost when needed.

Without stats, you have no feedback, and no temperature reading to report to Home Assistant. I don't think a stat's receiver, of any brand, can be actuated as a simple relay switch by HA if the associated stats are not paired. If it's relays only you want, a simple HA controlled WiFi twin wall light switch could replace the Climote for €20-40. This one in Power City at €37 would do the job.

https://powercity.ie/product/271788

That's a good point actually.

I do have some aqara temperature sensors that I was planning to use in combination with the Drayton wiser hub.

Eventually I was hoping to move towards smart TRVs in individual rooms. But potentially I could actually do this in home assistant with the sonoff switches? Or am I missing something.

I'm not aware that the wiser hub relay can integrate with any other brand of temperature sensors other than its own stats and TRVs, except perhaps via third party integration with Alexa, Homekit, IFTTT, Google etc. Zigbee coding enthusiasts no doubt will differ. As I said, if you only intend using the wiser hub as a relay or switch to provide the live mains signal to your boiler/valves to fire CH, then there are cheaper and simpler ways to do that.

If you want a system with TRVs, which can address the Drayton hub relay, then Drayton have their own integrated ones. It's fun and a challenge to blend devices from different manufacturers into a system, connecting them with the various home automation protocols on a logical and physical level, but you need to get at least a working system up and running, and Wiser in It's most basic form provides that in a proprietary package. Wire free stats to measure temperature. A receiver hub for these stats to connect to. A relay or relays to fire the boiler or open the zone valves, and a bridge from these to your router and the Internet. With Drayton, these three functions are contained in the one box, the hub or receiver. WiFi connection to your Internet router. Zigbee connection to Thermostats or TRVs . Wired connection to your boiler or zone valves. Have a view of this installation tutorial which is both instructive and very informative. https://youtu.be/yuxWDCRwIuc

While it is possible to use some of the Drayton parts alone, integrating them with other devices, sensors and relays, it's very much an enthusiasts domain, and often results in an unreliable system that only the perpetrator can operate. Get the Drayton kit 3 with 2 stats. Get some TRVs later. Once it's running as expected, and you can see it on Home Assistant, experiment with your other sensors, see can they influence the operation of your system beneficially, or do they just cause confusion. You can always revert to the proven system. If you're not the sole user of the heating system, and you create a Frankenstein hybrid for your own amusement, you will quickly find yourself the sole user. Have a read below of Tommy8844's unstructured query to the Home Assistant forum. Nest, Zigbee, Wiser, no hub, blah blah, then the stern warning from Angelo as to the consequences!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭CPTM

Does anyone know of smart radiator valves which have 0-5 type settings as opposed to temperature readings? Basically I want to set a timer for switching radiator valves on/off at different times. For example the baby room would be on during the night but off during the day. I want the kitchen off during the night but on during the day. I'm hesitant to buy the thermostat ones because so many people complain of faulty temperature readings.. and I move my hive thermostat around with me anyways so I don't really need ones in the radiator.. I just need to be able to turn them on or off with my phone or preferably a timer.

Get the Hive TRVs, they will integrate with your existing system, and be able to turn on the boiler as well as opening or closing the valve, using the same app. Use this chart to set hive TRVs temperatures in terms of mechanical TRV 0-5 scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭10-10-20

No, because 0 to 5 is a non-linear variable and is only suited to mechanical devices rather than digital devices which measure in degrees C.

I use TVR's which have four functions: Off, eco-heat (set-back), normal and full.

In my case eco-heat is normally set at around 15 degrees and normal is around 19, but you can set each as you desire. That's what you should do - set the baby's room to your preferred temperature in normal mode at night and then set it back during the day. The inverse applies to the kitchen. Would that work for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭comete

I’d be cautious of using a light switch to actuate a boiler without knowing what sort of power you’ll need. I have a sonoff 1pm controlling my oil boiler and that spikes to nearly 300w every time the boiler fires up, so you’d be pushing those switches to their limit if a combi boiler is similar.

• Advertisement

300W load is only 1.4 A current.

It's a two zone system, so it's only driving motorised valves, and boikeris a combi so SL is driving relays, not directly driving the burner motor. For a direct to boiler connection with an old oil boiler I'd advise a heavier switch.

You are too good with your time. I think you are right about going for one all encompassing system. I'll watch out for the Drayton wiser system on Amazon prime day and hopefully get a good deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭CPTM

It sounds like I could make them work with the portable thermostat I have. I couldn't find them online though - Would you have a link or an exact model name please?

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭comete

Have to hand it to you deezell, you’re a wealth of information on smart heating!

Per my comment above I’ve had a fairly simple setup of a Shelly 1pm replacing the original clock timer for an oil boiler, with temp sensors in each bedroom feeding to a minimum sensor, so heating is always driven by the coldest room (through home assistant) - a very cheap, slightly smarter system than what was there while I decided what route to take. Totally agree with making something simple the entire family can operate, as much as I’d love to manage it all through HA. I’ve made a button on my wife’s phone that she can hit to just boost the heating for 45 minutes when she feels a bit chilly, and overall it’s been rock solid since this time last year. I do want to go down the road of zoning with trv’s on an old fashioned single zone system, and can’t help but think doing this through HA could tip Mrs. comete over the edge.

It looks like Drayton and tado are the two best options with trvs, have you experience/preference for either of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Spirit Plus, z-wave TSR.

z-wave is a bit funky though... bit of a learning curve, but seems very stable in HA than in other IOT platforms.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭chelseavera

Help please! I want to be ready to pounce on anticipated Black Friday deals for a Tado set-up for my home. I'm deep down a rabbit hole around wireless receivers and extensions etc. Everytime I think I've narrowed it down, I see something that undermines it. So! If someone has the time and knowledge; this is my current set up.

Firebird condensing boiler (installed 2011). Water underfloor heating downstairs - with 5 wired thermostats (Honeywell dial ones installed in 2001) in different rooms. Upstairs we have radiators - 5 with TRVs installed in 2011)

This is where I get confused; there's a dual 7 day programmer in the utility room, which deals with radiators and Hot water, wired to the boiler room where there's a boiler, UFH manifold and a pressurised water cylinder.

Original plan was, Wired thermostat starting Kit - with all the add-ons. But then I see the V3+ plus HW extension - but it only seems to say Wireless. I don't understand WHY wireless, when I have wiring in place for multiroom thermostats.

What's my best bet? If I'm spending all those €€€s, I'd like to have tado control the HW too. My plumber is a bit old skool and we struggle to get an electrician to do anything in these parts - so would hope to do the install myself. Like many, am ok on tech, but not on plumbing/wiring/relays etc. Pretty confident I can swap over thermostats and TRVs though. As long as I have the correct kit!!

*Of course, if there's anyone in Mayo who is familiar with and installs Tado, then I might go that route too!

Appreciate any advice - thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I just googled Tado discount codes and got one of those websites that list codes that never work, but it did show one that was TADO35 which didnt work so it just started throwing TADO** at it and TADO20 worked

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭heffo500

I would recommend Drayton Wiser, I've used it for a while now. Each room is zoned, can pair multiple rads to one wireless thermostat. It can detect when you're mobile devices are not present in the home and reduce the temp down to a set point.

Well worth a look. Any questions, I'll answer as best I can. My boiler is controlled via open therm using the Drayton Wiser.

• Advertisement

Hive receiver uses Zigbee to communicate with Hive hub, Zigbee MQTT Home to be exact. HIVE can operate via alternative hub devices using this protocol. It's not clear exactly which protocol is used to connect Hive Stat to the receiver, it may be a low power subset of Bluetooth. I wouldn't be confident that you could connect Z Wave TRVs into the Hive environment, other than using top level communication between Hive and Spirit plus at HA level. I'd still advise @CPTM just getting a hive TRV and pairing it into the existing Hive system. Just use 21° as On or setting 4, and 6° as Off or setting 0.

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/hive-white-smart-trv-head/265gx

Post edited by deezell on

Advertisement