Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

So I went today to have a look at both the Kia Niro and the Hyundai Kona/Ioniq5.

When at the Kia dealer they used the SEAI grant as part of the deposit whereas the Hyundai dealer took the €5k from the total price.

Are The Kia dealers wrong here as everywhere else I’ve seen it taken away from total price. It makes the monthly PCP repayment go from €400 to €640 since the car basically gets €5k more expensive and I can’t put more than a 30% deposit down.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,373 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I don't think there's any rule on how they have to do it, they're still giving you the grant amount

It is pretty cheeky since it increases the purchase price, and therefore the loan amount

I guess it might be worth ringing around a few other Kia dealerships. As far as I can tell they've a pretty free hand in how they do things, so the situation might be different elsewhere

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mc2022B2TF

That utter boll%x if that's what they did. That is totally wrong. The grant comes off the purchase price and then u work from there.

They probably think they are doing u a favour but if u want to put down 30% net of the grant then u absolutely can.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭zg3409

Yes the trend is for newer estates to only have parking away from house in shared areas. Even brand new estates being built today with no plans for on street charging with zero driveways. This is more common in cities and council estates. Really every new house with a driveway should come with an Ev charger and 100% of new on street parking. In the plan for national rollout they said they don't want on street charging to happen in housing estates which is crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

Most dealers / finance companies do this, they treat the finance as the total price of the car, include the SEAI grant as part of the finance deposit, meaning that your max deposit is generally 30% which is made up of the SEAI 5K + the balance from the buyer, this allows them to stay within their finance formulas for max deposit and guaranteed minimum value. €640 pm seems very expensive for a Kia with a max deposit on PCP, a Tesla model 3 is about €500pm on max deposit

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,316 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

You realise that all new estates have the ducting in place to allow on street charging.

In DCC I’ve seen this as far back as 2018 with the Grace Park Development in Drumcondra.

Its a minimum requirement of the Building Regulations .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

That is wrong, 5 k more on say a 40k loan will not shift the monthly by 60% unless the bullet is very small

I put down 10% on 38 and am on 540 monthly , with bullet of 17 if i remember correctly

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

But how do we go from that to having chargers in place? There is often no designated spaces and so all spaces would need a charger for this to work. As a result if it did happen it would probably be an expensive to use solution using shared power and shared maintenance so costs per kWh would be higher than possibly diesel. Like apartments, great in theory but in practice hardly any places will get a reasonable number of chargers any time soon. Many of these shared parking spaces for houses may now be handed over to the council for public lighting and road resurfacing etc, so it's now a job of council to roll out charging solution, and in reality council has no money, no desire, a policy against this, and in reality nothing will happen. If it does happen it will be expensive to use and not drive change to EV. I am all for ducting but we also need to start rolling out real world street charging.

It's PCP so not as straightforward - there will be different GFMV on different cost prices etc. or the dealer may use the same - you will need to look at the finance quotes closely.

Bottom line is if you want to put in the max deposit after the grant you should be able to.

Otherwise you are paying interest on money you would rather part with now that get a loan for.

I presume the E-niro is about 50k pre grant and 45 post grant roughly.

Make sure you are comparing apples with apples. Some dealers may have a very high GFMV (maybe the hyundai dealer is doing this) versus a lower one (could be what Kia are doing). And the Kona may be a bit cheaper too so that could affect it.

In new estates, parking spots are assigned to individual dwellings. The spots have the house number permantly marked on them and the spot is mentions in the deeds or MC agreement.

New estates nowadays are never handed over to the council, hence management companies.

• Advertisement

for anyone looking for a decent PCP/HP calculator:

https://www.pcp-calculator.com/PCP-loan-calculator.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I'm not aware of any ducting in place for on street parking in my estate in SDCC. They did dig up the path to install a public charger in the visitor spaces on my road. I recently found out we have to pay standing charges/PSO levy for the public chargers when they go live. SDCC required 10% of spaces in the area to have public chargers yet the homeowners of the estate are paying for them, we already pay to rent the equipment in our management fee even though they haven't been turned on for the 2 years they've been installed...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,343 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Looks like Coyne's Cross is the next Applegreen in line for proper infrastructure...

Don't eCars units usually get delivered not in boxes, so this is a good sign...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,080 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Between there and Gorey I'll never need to worry about a charge between Dublin and Wexford return trips.

I know one about 2 years finished. All houses are council. Roads are council. No driveways, no marked spaces, no chargers, possibly ducting. The layout means often you cannot park near your house meaning carrying shopping long distances and no easy ability to keep an eye on your car from the house. I know similar older estates like this, say 15 years old, and petty crime on cars is high, and no hope they are getting chargers soon. While there is a management company in theory, in practice nothing gets done while shared bins areas are regularly set on fire.

Wow, sounds like a right kip, and i say that living in Finglas!

I have a house built in Dublin in 2006, no front garden but all the parking spots are numbered and assigned to the house. Easy to install a charger but no ducting as it was pre regs for this.

I don't live in that house anymore so never explored charging options.

My current house, typical 3 bed semi built in 1996, Council haven't taken in charge yet. Both houses within 5 minutes of each other!

It is a problem going forward i suppose but at least it's been captured in new estates going forward.

This is for Buildings other than Dwellings :

"(e) A building which has more than 10 car parking spaces, that is: (i) new, or (ii) subject to subparagraph (g), undergoing major renovation, shall have installed at least one recharging point and ducting infrastructure (consisting of conduits for electric cables) for at least one in every 5 car parking spaces to enable the subsequent installation of recharging points for electric vehicles."

For Apartments :

"1.4.6.1 For a new building (containing one, or more than one, dwelling), where there are more than 10 car parking spaces, ducting infrastructure, consisting of conduits for electric cables, should be provided for every parking space, to enable the subsequent installation of recharging points for electric vehicles where:

 the car park is located inside the building, e.g. a basement car park; or

 the car park is physically adjacent to the building, i.e. the car park is within the curtilage of the site."

Strangely TGD Part L is quiet on Ducting for single dwellings. I'll keep digging.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭innrain

I think it is for those building with planning permission applied after a certain date in 2021(?) There are some exceptions which probably builders pay hard money to take advantage of.

There is a video from the housing agency and the SEAI regarding the grants for apartments if someone is interested. They say there the new builds after March 2021 have to have the charging infrastructure provisioned hence don't qualify for grants. For those living in apartments might be interesting to see how they intend to run the grants.

Builders can’t pay to exclude any Building Regulations thankfully so they will have to apply them in their entirety.

It’s something I’m keeping an eye on through work and many builders are doing it thankfully already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

like the headline, same old story…

Didn’t know about this

”we can reveal that EV charging prices will not be displayed on site until 2023…

Ionity’s 71 cent high powered rate will go to 73 cent on November 1st.”

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

Not sure why anyone should be surprised. Can't depend on private providers to provide a good value service. Same as EV maufacturers, their primary focus is to maximise profits at expense of consumer.

Just supports the position that unless you have your own driveway, forget about EVs if your sole motivation is to save money. Course many EV owners won't care as they have more lofty motivations such as improving air quality for future generations, bringing despotic oil producers to their knees etc. I jest..

• Advertisement

Bit of a more balanced article, although I'm slightly annoyed they only used EI rates given there's better options out there

I've never gotten the idea behind people not shopping around for electricity when they own an EV

I mean it takes like 20 mins to change provider and I've known people to drive 20 mins out of their way every week to save 2c on a liter of petrol

You CAN save money even if you're living off public charging, albeit not as much as home charging.

I think the obfuscation of what price you're paying is causing a lot of people to get trapped. Having to display the basic price is a good start but there's still plenty of scope for third party providers to put a surcharge on top

People need to do their research when signing up for paid plans. It's still buyer beware with a lot of these schemes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Re: public charging, I think anything under 70c/kWh is the cost saving point for me coming from a petrol Golf. Plus savings on servicing and tax. Although more expensive tyres will eat into some of that cost. You'd be a bit mad to get an EV and only use public charging though.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

If you are stuck in a situation where you are forced to regularly charge in public, the subscription services become very economical. I moved to an apartment in April. I'm paying €4.80 a month and can charge at eCars AC for 26c/kWh or DC for 31c/kWh. It's much better rates than I'd get by paying the walk up fee to eCars. If there was an Ionity location near me I could pay an extra €12.50 a month and charge at Ionity for 26c/kWh. That's all through my Mini charging provider.

I'd totally pay the Ionity fee if it was nearby, as having more available chargers would be worth the €12.50.

I think the question of whether you can live with public charging or not is very dependent on where you live and how you drive.

Up until recently anyone living near a Lidl could charge for free on AC, and if you only need to charge once or twice a week then it was pretty easy to find a day you could plug in and walk back home then collect your car a few hours later

Same goes for workplaces that provide free charging. I know of one business in Dublin which has ~16 AC charging spaces and is looking at installing many more than that in the next 12 months. Currently the charging is free for employees but I imagine they'll start charging something to prevent abuse of the chargers

Not even the cheapest home charging rate could beat free charging

And as Liam said, if you're regularly using public charging then the subscription plans can offer pretty good value. I imagine for example that Applegreen will have a subscription plan, and anyone living near Ballymount in the near future is likely to have plenty of chargers available for a 30 mins top up one or twice a week

My random EV thought is....why didn't I put my name down for a Hyundai Iconic 5 18 months ago - so regretting it, considering how prices have spiralled- the repayments would have been high but the depreciation oh so low relatively speaking compared to "normal" times of new cars.

Anyway, that boat has sailed. I'll be buying a second hand diesel to keep for about 5 years in early 2023 - of course cue massive increases in motor tax for such vehicles but considering my relatively low milage, it's probably the better choice from a financial perspective. But so regretting not just going for the Ionic 5 at the time- hope anyone here who has one is enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

You mean the Ioniq 5 that went up just 2k over those 18 months?

If you're doing low mileage then couldn't you buy a second hand Ioniq28 and then rent a petrol car the odd time you're travelling long distance?

Seems the best option financially, you get the benefit of low cost EV driving, get a car with low depreciation and you don't have to pay the cost of diesel all year round

Or go for a PHEV, if your daily driving is within the electric range and you can charge every night then it's basically as cheap as an EV to run

I mean, there's more options out there than high spec EV or car with a tractor engine shoved in the front

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Redfox25

If we are going random regrets, regret is that I didnt take a punt on a M3 in Jan this year and put a deposit down before the price increases

:)

• Advertisement

I did the sums on EV 4 years ago and every month I thought about it was costing me around 250 euros in fuel costs. I was doing 110km a day plus toll road twice a day.

I hung on to an ICE for longer trips and I rarely needed it and it's sold now.

Depreciation is real cost of ownership along with fuel for ice and maintenance and servicing.

For 2 car households with decent daily commute it makes good financial sense. Buying new may make more financial sense with used prices so high.

Advertisement