Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A global recession is on the horizon - please read OP for mod warning

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The damage was done years ago when Merkel handed over that control to a man she described as intent on destroying western Europe.

Putin had decided to cut the gas before he decided on the date to invade.

At least Germany and national Govts are taking action. There is no response to a Holocaust of businesses in Europe from Brussels. Examining options in a crisis where days and weeks matter.

In other news, inflation for Germany accelerated again in the last month, 2.1% jump to 10%.

All other things point to that acceleration continuing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

In the grand scheme of things we are here living in this world for a small period of time and you should let people do what they want with the money they earn without the guilt trip after all they pay a sh1tload of taxes you need to look at the tax take in this country and the fact that our welfare is competing with jobs and is possibly one of the most generous world wide.

"And I say to my people’s masters: Beware,

Beware of the thing that is coming, beware of the risen people,

Who shall take what ye would not give.

Did ye think to conquer the people,

Or that Law is stronger than life and than men’s desire to be free?

We will try it out with you, ye that have harried and held,

Ye that have bullied and bribed, tyrants, hypocrites, liars!"

She is a breath of fresh air . A better Europe is possible.

Enough hot air in this thread to keep all of Europe warm during the winter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,048 ✭✭✭timmyntc

US economy shrank by 0.6% in Q2, second successive quarter - they are officially in recession.

One can't be sucking lemons every day.

Reality is we live in a world of immense beauty, potential and love and joy.

That's always there, even when our lives are beset by problems, tragedy and human flaws.

Look at it this way.

Every day and minute of every Day there is a little things to be greatful for and enjoy, appreciate.

Make a list of them each Day, then jot them down through out the day. All of a sudden after a while one can find immense pleasure and joy and countless things to be grateful for, it's kinda overwhelming at first but it is such a relief to train your mind to look for the joy in the cloudy day.

Changing my outlook is the biggest thing I have done this year and it is such a relief to be free of my own head, bit freerer from worry, but starting to realize that even on the worst day of my life there will be countless wonderful and beautiful things.

I'm putting the work in on my head.

#Danzyisnothigh.

The US economy is fucked. The only reason for a strong USD is that they are slightly less fucked than everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

How f*cked?

Like, back into growth 2023 f*cked? or the IMF just told the new British Prime Minister what to do or they're landing in Heathrow f*cked?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Out of line is that which you deleted. Don't get too clever now... You didnt want to have to morph into Yurt3, a yet more diluted version. I get that.

I haven't got time to educate you. Your posts brim with confidence, but I am not fooled by them. I'm sure your groupies here think you've all the answers. I'm not in that camp but, once you're civil, you're entitled to express your opinion. Like all of us.

• Advertisement

A fantasy about two autocracies and three developing word basket cases magicing up a currency that somehow will supplant the dollar isn't a difference of opinion. It's fruit loop land.

Don't bother anyone's head about "education". If that's the standard on offer we'll all pass.

Oh and FYI: my username is followed by a 2 as my previous username contained a character which limited settings functionality - the mods changed it for me at my request. Same account, different livery.

Re-register accounts are for Tankies and political cranks. Smartypants fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

😁👍 Good lad.

You're typing goodo for me tonight. Karl Marx's 21st century prole.

Haha, I warned you last week who the sick man of Europe was, and that's the UK the most vulnerable economy in Europe while you were high as a badger on the Queen's fumes trying to mock Ireland for a bilateral loan. How right I was, and in spectacular fashion.

That's what you call a 147 break for me my Chumley Warner friend.

Some folks just don't know how to take an L.

And I don't know why I'd admit I was wrong (about what?) when I dished a spectacular I told you so to you.

Have you managed to find all those people arrested for holding up signs yet?

no?

your arrogance is impressive, I have to admit. Shame you can’t see when you are making a fool of yourself.

I'll refer you back to Google. Because it's on record how many were arrested. And you are 100 percent wrong.

And I also deliver to you with ultimate smugness the fact I spoonfed to you the UK is economically crocked when you were trying to do down Ireland, and like clockwork the UK implodes the following week.

Should be pause for thought for you.

You didn’t spoon feed anything, you went on one of your little rants, in the hope you can bore people to death with your bullshit.

I asked google, it said you weed talking rubbish.

now, care to tell me what of my post was incorrect? Which country’s economy isn’t fucked?

China? Nope, there’s a reason the Yuan is at its lowest ever level.

Germany? They’re staring down the barrel of a depression, let alone a recession and that is the rest of us fucked.

but you toddle off on another of your little rants because you are still hurt from being made to look stupid.

You obviously can't work Google then, because now, just as then, you are 100 perent wrong.

Germany isn't in a good place, but it's not f*cked. The US will be back to business as usual once inflation is tempered. The UK, now there's an economy that's f*cked, and you were told as such when you were on a bizzare mawkish rampage about Britain's greatness after the Queen's death.

Less than a week later, there's p*ss pooling beneath the feet of the British economy, just as you were told would happen.

147 break. Chalk another one up in the win column for Y2.

and as predicted, a little Yurt sized rant right on que.

bravo sir.

Ok, I'll shorten it for you.

147 break. Y2 takes the W, Monopoli slinks home with the L. Stops in for a curry cheese chip in Supermacs on the way home to blunt his pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

The angriest poster on boards is that fella 🤣

• Advertisement

Not to get involved in yere spat but Britain was in the same troubled boat as so many others but decided to blow that apart by delivering a mini budget that had global finance running from Britain.

As Bloomberg said about Truss and Kwarteng, no political leadership can survive looking so incapable and foolish, they have destroyed themselves in the eyes of Finance, Investors and markets.

Hopefully they do not crash the economy there so hard that it takes down the wider Western economy.

Some analysts now predicting that the Bank of England will have to push rates over 7%.

Things are going to be savage there for years to come.

The world’s markets are like an airplane wing at the moment, all undergoing significant stress and getting gradually weaker and weaker.

what the UK did was to effectively create a scratch in that wing, focusing those stresses in one place, so they need to do some pretty major smoothing over to keep those stresses at bay.

whatever the UK does, it does not get away from the fact the world is slipping in to recession and winter is going to be very long and very cold all over europe.

Created a scratch? 🤣

Did you just miss the run on the currency that required the IMF to issue a statement to them as if it was a South American junta in the 80s? The UK was already f*cked. 15 years of next to no growth, notably even in the bull market years preceding covid.

The place is structurally banjaxed and there's no way out. There's zero point in being deluded (well perhaps for pride's sake as you were trying to mock Ireland for taking a bilateral loan a decade and a half ago).

You were warned that it would be and egg-on-your-face statement given the cut of the UK economy, you just didn't think you'd have to scrub the yolk off your face the very next week. Hilarious really.

To get back in to yere argument once more, doesn't that describe the Euro zone as well, a deep structural malaise for most of 20 years now.

It does in some respects. But here's the rub, a weak euro actually suits countries like Germany, the Netherlands (less so France), even Ireland. Germany in particular is what is known as an inflation exporter. It has for obvious reasons, been inflation adverse and exports its inflation to other parts of the eurozone (Ireland and Luxembourg most notably) which tempers spiraling wage demands in their pillar industries and keeps their outsized export industries competitive. The euro facilitates this.

The euro is good news for Northern European countries who tend to run surpluses and their economies would otherwise overheat, less good news for Southern European countries that carry large debts but experience chronic low-growth (notably Italy, less so Spain).

If the Italian lira was still around they would devalue the sh*t out of it and could grow their way out of trouble with their strong export sector. If the Deutschemark was still around, excess surpluses would (traditionally) have nowhere to go and generate an inflation spiral. They're getting inflation now, but for very different reasons due to currency issues.

The UK is trying to do Reagonomics without the dollar. It's science fiction.

EDIT: It also needs to be said that Ireland being in the euro at a time like this is extremely good for the country. A notional punt in 2022 would be hopelessly exposed to the clusterf*ck going on in the UK. Pensions destroyed etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭deirdremf

You'd really wonder if those chemicals will be replaced by production in the USA.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Yurt2 and monopoli threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭jackboy

Maybe, but it will take while to ramp up production. Even our pharma industry here imports lots of materials from BASF. BASF is huge, more like a city than a production plant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭brickster69

It also requires the same amount of energy as the whole of Switzerland uses.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,048 ✭✭✭timmyntc

The US would be best positioned to supply that energy - IF BASF was across the pond. Getting all that gas across the atlantic is a big (expensive) bottleneck.

More interesting to watch is what happens to European made automobiles - european steel and metalworks almost shut down will have massive ramifications for euro auto industry - how can they compete with cheaper US made vehicles?

Advertisement