Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was the government right to put no limit on the amount of Ukrainian refugees in Ireland? Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Nope, just wondering what the posters in question were doing about the issues when they were just as live, previously. And wondering why it's only the arrival of Ukrainians that seems to have provoked any concern about the issues now. It's a valid question.

As to entrance to third-level: the same way they do for HEAR, DARE, FET, mature and foreign students - i.e., just set the places aside? 🙄 There were over 1,000 extra college places announced for the new academic year, so it's not like anyone is being denied a place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Where did they magic up the extra teaching staff ? Professors tutors and alike. What about traveling where are they going to stay already no places so where.

A) I imagine the universities were told there'd be 1,000 extra places, what the resources were, and judged if they could afford additional staff and went ahead and recruited them if they could. Like, why wouldn't they? Why are you asking questions to which any sensible adult would know the answer?

B) "They"? The tutors? The students? Yeah, I dunno, there's a housing crisis, but what can you do, people keep voting for the parties that engineered it, despite it being flagged as a problem for years.

We can imagine a lot but there has been no plan from the start that has been shown time and time and time again. How do you know where the extra places are and who is affected ? I don't have the relevant minister on speed dial maybe some do. So admission is we have nowhere to put them and no Idea how they will travel. Seems a great plan alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,334 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

We’ve been compassionate enough I think….

compassion is falling over into stupidity. We’ve been almost conditioned to think that whatever we have now in life has to be in certain percentages enabled to Ukrainian people.. housing, healthcare, college places, jobs….

really all just eating into our wellbeing we’ve done billions in damage to our economy and wellbeing.

Support for the Ukrainians… It’s expected to cost the Irish taxpayers a further 3 billion in 2023… we’ve literally thrown billions of our taxpayers money, healthcare opportunities, housing and more besides… The Public Expenditure Minister Michael McGrath said the Government is preparing to spend around €3 billion more in 2023 on this….

3 billion, could be more….

time the politicians in this country were reminded as to who they have been employed to work for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

really all just eating into our wellbeing we’ve done billions in damage to our economy and wellbeing.

How has giving sanctuary to refugees effected your wellbeing, please be specific?

Also did everyone on here miss the mammoth give away budget during the week? 😂

That's going to fix the hse ? housing ? school overcrowding I could go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

This trick doesnt work for me.

It doesn't change anything.

1 billion spent on 60,000 asylum seekers in 1 year, another 1 to 2 billion ringfenced, found 25,000 PAID rooms for them, and almost nothing done for students around the country.

Well, you've never shown any compassion, on this thread, or the last!

€3 billion? Really? A 30% increase in what it was going to cost on the last page. And at least that was sourced! 🤣

If the population of Irish people is 4 million people then that is EUR 750 for every man, woman and child that is getting taken away from spending on Irish citizens and being spent to help Ukrainians.

• Advertisement

Indeed, maybe some do. Or - bear with me, now - maybe some of us know how the world works. Minister asks how many more places can be made available, given X resources, is told Y amount, some horse-trading takes place, an announcement is made. Will the resources be sufficient? Almost certainly not. Were they sufficient in previous years, prior to the arrival of a mere 500 additional Ukrainian students? We know they weren't. Were you complaining and trying to something about it back then? I know I was.

Oh, do please go on.

What's going to fix the HSE? Implementing Sláintecare.

Housing, school overcrowding? Electing someone other than the FF/FG/GP who (in the case of the first two) have been in power for literally 100 years and have led us to where we are.

What has any of this to do with Ukrainians? Nothing. Maybe take it to a politics thread.

If the population of Irish people is 4 million people

The population of Irish people? That's a new one. 😂

The population of Ireland is nearly 5 million.

Non core expenditure or off book expenditure would not be spent in Ireland on every man, woman or child, it's an accountancy trick at EU level.

We just had a mammoth giveaway budget, but the gimme gimme gimme cohort, still prevails, the idea that someone's wellbeing is effected at the thought of helping a literal refugee is beyond sick.

Do you think that all the extra students will be crammed into the one college, doing the same course, living in the one area?

Would not surprise me in the least. Places like UCD will only have the extra places.

There stressing already broken systems Why does this need to be said. There are finite places rooms teacher Wave around a wad of cash that they never had for Irish people before. Will not solve any of that you have just admitted.

They DON'T care.

Our young people can go jump in a lake. Better still they can EMIGRATE not OUR problem anymore. No free room and board for YOU.

They want to look good by saying no limits for others though. These inexperienced , got my job from Daddy , far from the top of the class ministers are too busy with their pet social projects or preening on social media to deal with the nitty gritty of looking after the citizens of this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Mammoth give away budget if you're not a low or middle bracket worker.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,996 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I guess when we "agreed" to those EU treaties we ended up with a puppet government.

Also, we have such a huge fondness for puppet governments that we decided to keep the Seanad too.

The Muppet Show.

• Advertisement

I believe the population of the republic is 5.1m. I think he is referencing that in the previous census almost 20% of the population were foreign born. I don’t know what % of them have or don’t have citizenship. The % of foreign born people in the country hasn’t been released in the latest census as of yet.

You try to paint your self as an empathetic person where it comes to Ukrainians yet try to paint all students as scum. Really weird.

IMO any new refugees from Ukraine who enters the country and who is given accommodation and meals for free should be placed on a reduced rate of welfare for that period . Anyone who is fleeing war will still be looked after but Ireland won’t be as an attractive place to go which will help alleviate the pressure of trying to house everyone.

For instance a mother with 2 kids who enters Ireland will receive 300 euro per week lone parent payment and almost 300 for childrens allowance from January. That’s 1500 euro per month with free accommodation, food and no bills. That’s just obscene. If you were Ukrainian and had a choice of multiple countries to go to, a decent % will pick which one gives the best deal. That’s not a criticism of Ukrainians that’s human nature. And that’s why Ireland has one of the highest rates of Ukrainians per 100k in Europe yet it’s pretty much the furthest away.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Madd002

Although I have complete empathy for the Ukrainians it's not their fault that their being placed in accommodation snatched from underneath the noses of everyone else. Blame the government again. Close friends of ours 1owns a business & partner works full time in same town. Landlord was moving back from abroad but lets them stay as long as possible so they can source a house. They sourced 1 and looked at it said yes immediately for €1000pm next day a phone call to apologise and say local Co Counselor rang estate agent and said council will pay double to house Ukrainians so they said yes. Managed to source another house again said yes only to receive a similar call next day same story but a different Co Councilor 2 different areas of the county. They now squashed in a rundown 1 bed.

So this is what I cant get over that 2 local Irish born and bred people contributing to the local economy are being turfed aside like any other local person in every area of Ireland. Would love to see a register of the Td's / Co Councilors who are now renting out their portfolio back to the council getting double the rate of what is already extortionate rent pricing.

I've really no time for stupid posts like this. I’m all for helping Ukrainians. I didn’t say they shouldn’t be helped. I think it needs to be done within the resources available because if it isn’t, it isn’t fair on anyone. For example make shift tents in fields housing Ukrainians because their isn’t accommodation available. I don’t think they want that. I don’t think the government wants that. I don’t think the Irish people want that.

All I said was to lessen benefits for those who are housed and fed for free to make it less attractive to come here as the state is struggling to house people. That is surely a sensible approach. It’s not as if Ukrainians are going to die over it now is it? Refugees from other countries survive on just 39 euro per week when housed and fed.

And what country is it that you’re from? I think when people like you try to shut down debate with stupid comments like yours it helps no one. It’s not as if I was calling for extreme measures now was it? Just looking at possible solutions to lessen the amount of people who are attracted to come here while the state struggles to deal with it. If I was posting extreme views I would expect that comment. I’m by and large a leftie. My fear is that legitimate concerns given our capabilities and current circumstances are constantly shut down with accusations by some.

We should be able to have a rational debate about this. There are extremes on both sides of the debate, I’ve been measured in what I’ve said. If people continue shutting everything down and the state reaches breaking point in the months ahead we run the danger of the far right taking off and I don’t want that.

You mean posting facts to actual entailments from social welfare ? Care to point out anything that is not factual there in relation to social welfare payments.

..and you dont even have to work or look for a job!

There is no country remotely as generous as Ireland. No backgroud check, no means test, don't even limit to Ukranian nationals, 300 euro lone parents allowance (even though husband exists back home?), Childrens allowance, food and board indefinitely, medical cards, free education books, stipends for college, open work permit, PPS handed out on entry, automatic license exchange, no pets check, no car insurance enforcement, free parcels to homeland.

Tell me where can compete?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Ukrainian's driving around without any car insurance, really?

• Advertisement

in the months ahead we run the danger of the far right taking off and I don’t want that.

We really aren't, you'll be grand. 👍️

Advertisement