Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Stadia

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭wassie

So it appears there are some hacks already - this one was described on reddit as a 'semi-hack'. It works wirelessly - but only if connected to your phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I've a small USB c to USB c and use it on my phone with a clip.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭eggy81

It’s a shame really. Have really enjoyed using it since got decent internet. Found myself going to it for fifa and destiny more than my consoles. Not even sure why. It was so handy and played well with a good connection. Wasted opportunity

If you have Pro you won't be charged but can keep playing until January.

Mad the day they launch FIFA 23 with cross play they shut the shop so no one can buy it.

Ubisoft must be annoyed too, they gave a free month of ubisoft+ too.

Google say they are in gaming for the long haul but no developer or publisher or gamer will touch anything they do now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭franglan

I know Google are famous for not promoting things and then killing them but this really could have completely turned the industry on its head in making expensive consoles obsolete for the general gamer. Why do we think it wasn't progressed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭feargantae

It feels so bittersweet about this. I remember having a great time playing Cyberpunk when it came out and laughing that it was best played on Stadia at the time! The launch of RE Village was a fun one too.

Ah well Google will be Google...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭recyclops

Once it didn't have elden ring or even look to get it the writing was on the wall, it was never going to take cod or fifa players away from their consoles, so it needed more stuff like cyberpunk/ resi evil.

• Administrators Posts: 53,843 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It's down to the lack of good content and the networking effect (people want to play with their friends, and since most games don't do cross-play this means buying a console). I would also say that Google's reputation when it comes to services also held it back.

Cloud gaming is the future, but it'll be delivered by either Microsoft (more likely) or Sony (less likely).

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭somebody_else

Damn again.

Was hoping to play CB'77 DLC next year.

I've played it on Stadia and it was working fine on my broadband connection (not fibre to home) or even over hot-spot from phone while I was abroad.

Could be delivered by Sony ... via MS Azure infrastructure which is win win for MS and from what I've heard Sony are using MS resources for cloud.

Not at all surprised by this though Google made no effort to drive it. I got a cheap controller and 4k Chromecast out of it. Which I'll actually be refunded for as I bought on the google store????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I am sad today 😥

Microsoft are rumoured to be launching their streaming puck next month. They're really leaning into game streaming from the cloud

They made a balls of the launch. Launching with a Subscription tier with the need to buy €70 games that were already at the €20-30 mark elsewhere.

When they did the free tier they told no-one.

Even today I see people claiming that no one used stadia as you had to sub and buy the games. No one knew they essentially had a free gen 5 console.

Amazon Luna and MS Cloud will take over now. Both have the right netflix for gaming approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

FIFA23 with cross play could have been a game changer for them IMO, do a "Buy the game get a free Stadia kit and you can play with all your friend".

Some people don't seem to have realised you could just have the chromecast and controller and buy each game, you didn't need a subscription (unless you wanted upscaled 4K and 120 fps).

I'd just started the Ubisoft+ free sub and had decided I'd probably keep that up for a few months and play a few games I'd missed, may still do that till January.

Wonder what Ubisoft might do next? Google said the were planning to white label Stadia, could they do that i.e. an Ubisoft+ app which is Google Stadia by another name? And support the Stadia controller? Did they know the shutdown was coming?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The buying each game was the most unattractive part of the whole endeavour. You were paying full price for games while being wholly reliant on Google keeping the Stadia servers on (something we all knew would never happen for long). If you buy a game on PC or on a console, you can save it locally and often back it up. Or, of course, you can get a physical copy. No such benefit on Stadia, or the ‘Cloud versions’ that pop up on Switch from time to time.

With subscription services you at least know you only have access to the material for as long as you’re paying for it or as long as it’s available. That creates its own issues and concerns, for sure. But Stadia’s business model was kinda the worst of both worlds. At least they’re refunding customers, which to be fair is better than most companies would offer in a similar situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭ebbsy

When you look at the competition it was up against in Sony/Nintendo/Xbox, it never really had a chance.

A good idea in some ways, but I look at my sons gaming habits. He only plays a few games on the PS4 with his friends, FIFA etc.

They would have absolutely no interest in Stadia.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Ironically that's probably the market in which it could've had its greatest success, it was ripe to muscle in as the low-barrier-to-entry, annual EA/whatever release casual machine/service and they fumbled it so hard it almost feels like actual self-sabotage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭ebbsy

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Stadia would have worked if it was seen as a viable long-term solution. And Google have proved time after time that you can't trust them. For a lot of people, cloud gaming is a viable solution. The likes of Gamepass in particular are excellent and you know Microsoft aren't going to delete that. Plus you have the subscription model of Gamepass which Stadia didn't really replicate all too well.

Technically it's a shame, as it did work quite well. Not surprising though.

• Advertisement

Just reading a bit from a developer that was due to release their game in stadia today. First they heard about this was reading it in the press.

I wonder how many millions were sunk into projects that can't launch now.

Ubisoft have announced that anyone that bought a Ubi game on Stadia will get a free PC copy.

So you should get a refund from Google then a free game from Ubisoft.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Really disappointed with this. I have 2 of them that are used a fair bit. Controllers arent much use now. Probably sell the 2 ultras on adverts and move away from Googles ecosystem completely. They cant really be trusted with anything they release these days.

Ill probably dust off the Switch and XB1 and just stick with them for now.

Stadia controller works wired on almost everything.

I'd hold on to it, if their ambition is to sell a white box version then maybe more companies will use it and the controller will have an extra wireless life.

It does have blue tooth but it's not used for anything other than initially setting it up. But I'm sure some will get a hack to get it working.

Google will have to enable Bluetooth. Just think of the eWaste from all the useless controllers if not. They're always shiteing on about being more sustainable, time for them to prove it here!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

Im still a little confused as to what they are refunding here?

Games or hardware?

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭somebody_else

Looks like both if one purchased from official Google store.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Hardware from the Google store.

And software from the Stadia store, including add-ons.

Not refunding Stadia Pro subscription.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Stadia worked great for me.

Had a few months of Pro for free, bought a few games with Play points which had been earned and gained a couple of controllers.

Have got a cheapish subscription to Xbox now, but struggling to get it to work on anything other than the phone. Can't get it working on the Android TV box, and mirroring the phone to Chromecast is an overly complicated faff with lots of lag.

Advertisement