Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Recliner

A what's in the spice box curry using chicken thighs. Also added red pepper, frozen cauliflower, and some leftover cooked potatoes. A tin of coconut milk and served with rice. I was too lazy to make flatbreads.

I feel like I'm getting my cooking mojo back.

The aforementioned straitened times are a great incentive to get back to basics and back into the kitchen.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Anything form LKK is very salty, but I still love their stuff.

I do have this, but not sure how to use it...

I think @Shenshen idea of blitzing actual dried mushrooms is brilliant. I've never noticed the dried ones to be particularly salty so I'd say you'd get a much better umami flavour without all the saltiness.

And you'd still have the option of just rehydrating them as normal.

@igCorcaigh I literally use them everywhere I use fresh mushrooms just to pack a punch. And also in recipes using what I call dark meat to add extra flavour.

EDIT.. @igCorcaigh just looked up the Ballyhoura site and they also do packs of dried mushrooms. I'd probably go for those if they don't contain loads of salt.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Beef chilli and chilli cheese cornbread.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

After six hours in the slow cooker. This pork loin will never feed six people………

And there’s less when you take the fat off.

But shred it and it magically grows

Add some Blueberry Ketchup

In a bap with some coleslaw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,185 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Looks delicious just have a simple question does it make any difference leaving the fat on before putting it in the slow cooker?

I have copied this once https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/uk/food/recipes/a574749/slow-cooker-bbq-pulled-pork/ and was happy with the results.

Just wondering do I need to go to the effort of trimming the fat before putting it into the slow cooker.

I usually leave the fat on and season it really well and add some dried herbs or a dry rub. Put it in the slow cooker with the fat on top. It melts down the pork to create a cooking liquid.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,185 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Thanks I was under the impression the fat needed to be removed but that makes life much easier.

Yeah, you can just peel the fat off afterwards.

The the fat and connective tissue should render down if you've cooked low and slow enough. I use a conventional oven or a kamado but can't imagine the principle changes. For any cut like this you want the fat intact for sure. Some cuts without a fat cap won't work at all in fact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Quite the opposite, imo. The fat will help keep the meat nice and moist - pork loin can be a pretty dry cut.

Korean chicken, pickled salad, gochujang mayo. So easy.

Antipasti selection. In a restaurant. It were nom...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Sausages, mash, and peas, slathered in onion gravy

• Registered Users Posts: 11,947 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Made this lovely fish pie with a crispy breadcrumb topping.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Slow cooker season... A simple tasty "stewp" of chicken drumsticks, potatoes, onions and garden greens... and half a packet of sage and onion stuffing mix... delicious and sustaining as the first autumn gale raged... NB Gathering the greens was... interesting...

Post edited by Graces7 on

A half leg of lamb, prepped yesterday. Forgot to take a snap of the finished product. This is with the yoghurt marinade.

Served with a cumin and onion rice and a quick mint raita.

Made a batch cook of chicken and mango rendang as well, but not a very visually appealing dish!

Cottage pie. Used beef and pork mince and topped the potatoes with leftover stuffing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Working long hours at the moment, so I'm using the slow cooker a lot. Put something in at lunchtime, enjoy a hot meal in the evening.

Yesterday, we had a smokey, spicy, warm and wonderful lentil and bean chili, with lime rice and guacamole.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

A simple but delicious beef stew done in the slow cooker. I'd hoped for a thicker gravy (I used cornflour instead of flour when browning the meat cos that's all I had) but otherwise happy with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,792 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Thai chicken and prawn soup kinda thing.

Garlic, ginger, lemongrass, red onion, star anise, gochujang, soy sauce, lime, coriander, radish, noodles.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Lamb with za'atar rub, salatet malfouf (Lebanese slaw, apparently) and some cumin roasted potatoes. Lemony, minty, jalapeno yoghurt dip. Was planning to have a veggie dinner, but the lamb was on sale so I decided why not...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭sporina

wow that lamb looks savage - what cut of lamb was it?

Tried making naan bread to have with the Indian leftovers. Need to use the BGE to get the bubbling / puffiness going next time

This was tasty but the pan only goes so far.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

• Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Loin. Was about three quid on sale for one person's portion.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Roast duck breast, roast sweet potato, asparagus smeared with butter and oven fries.

Time to cook something nice on a rainy Sunday. I made malai kofta, aloo gobi and masala parathas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭sporina

@Shenshen looks delicious

• Advertisement

Thank you! The malai kofta were unreal. The recipe I used was loosely this.

Advertisement