Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭cosatron

Drive the f**k on, why would you dry up with potentially 70 cent a litre this winter

• Registered Users Posts: 29,524 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I had a lad ringing me today as I was scanning looking for culls. I said with milk price at what it's at I'll be milking them on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭straight

Because of the stupid banding legislation that teagasc wrote which says that if you produce a few hundred litres over 6300 then they are going to fine you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,201 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

just shy of 70 last month ….should break it this month ….agree

• Registered Users Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭jaymla627

If you didn't draw down the dole money you can basically drive on, nitrate derogation is basically goosed going forward anyways your just buying yourself a year our two at best given the 220kgs/ha been muted for 2024, what's the plan then give the 400 acre for ground to keep numbers at current levels our destock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Whats the first band 5500? I sold culls the other day, grass gets scarce here in October. Had 6%empty so happy with that. Would we be better off feeding less meal to get under the 6600 band or 5500 one

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Not as clear cut as that anymore either. If no bps or whatever twill be council/ epa come into play afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

It will for me atm any way, we’re just on the edge of heading into higher band and selling good kgs ms

for us here I’ll just focus on the percentages and less on the litres and still try sell the 560 kgs /cow

Bord bia can deem you non compliant as far as I’m aware, if you’re not bord bia approved the coop won’t collect your milk

• Advertisement

Ya, based on what you supplied the previous 3 years. If it's over 6300 you are severely punished imo.

Bord bia? Will you give over, if they enforced their 90% grazed grass as part of your cows diet 90% of the herds in the country would be non-conpliant

That's a very grey area and a boogeyman been used to scare lads, when you see the slap on the wrists lads are getting for discharging slurry into waterways leading to fish kills, you logically need to dive into it a bit more, and work out what exactly they can actually do to farms like you mention above that aren't actually polluting our showing up on their radar, re high nitrates in adjoining waterways etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,201 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Wouldn’t look on it as a punishment …..I do think those bands are a load of ……. Though …if anywhere near 6300 then you’ll be over it pretty quick through maturing stock alone ….drive on into the higher band and to hell with it …..don’t get this stigma some seem to have re keeping less cows ….every herd has cows they could cull …less cows …better quality cows …more milk …more solids …less nitrates pressure .all positive

It is punishment because I'm going over the 250kg. What are the fines like? I believe you can sell entitlements next year with no clawback? I always followed all the rules and now I feel as though I'm getting blaguarded. Maybe time to break the immoral rules as they say. I'm being limited to 2.3 cow/Ha while teagasc are promoting signpost farms as the saviour and they are all stocked at 3+.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

From recent Oireachtas debate on banding.....

Bill Callanan DAFM

I will address the issue of banding, which is what the Deputy is getting at. From our perspective, we were operating a single band across all cows. Administratively, that was easy for us. People might not realise it, but the Department performs an administrative check on every single farm for nitrates compliance. The checks are not universal, but we perform checks comparing single farm payments versus farms' animal identification and movement, AIM, data, that is, their livestock, in respect of every farm in the country. It is a large check and quite a number of farmers are non-compliant and suffer a penalty as a consequence.

Moving from a single band will be a challenge, but we are putting our hand up to do that. At European level, most countries were working a banding system and the Commission was adamant that it was a minimum requirement in terms of discussions-----

Deputy Micheal Fitzmaurice

It was the Commission that made Ireland introduce banding?

Mr. Bill Callanan

Absolutely. The Commission was clear on that. The bands, as constructed, are scientifically determined by the nitrates emissions associated with relative categories. I am aware that presentations have been made to the committee. We examined having six bands. There were complications around that. There are pluses and minuses. The structure that is being put in place maximises those in the low and middle bands. Approximately 15% of farms are in the top-----

Banding is an EU requirement, not something dreamed up by our own government. Fact.

I'm not disputing that fact. If only they set the band @ 7000 litres like the milk recording it would be much fairer is what I was saying. Also I would probably be under it if I was feeding milk to calves and not giving accurate dry off dates on ICBF.

Teagasc were given the job of coming up with the bands and they only made a half arsed effort at the task.... FACT. See if I write fact there it makes it more true apparently 😉.

Had to take the wife out to breakfast this morning to talk her into selling a rental property to buy land.... Bit more work needed to bring her around yet maybe.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I don’t know if it’s as clear-cut as that. From farm reps I’ve spoken to, the EU asked DAFM to “look at banding” but didn’t specify a deadline or what they wanted to see at the end of it.

DAFM then asked Moorepark to consider it and they jumped all over it, producing more figures and details than you could shake a stick at. DAFM ran with it and are now being the best boys in class with the EU.

This might not be the full story either but what’s clear is that DAFM and Moorepark are very enthusiastic for banding, and they’re claiming (as ever) that the big boy made them do it.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭alps

Your "best in class" department has us still holding onto the derogation.....by a thread.

• Advertisement

Setting the upper band at 7000kg would have resulted in a 118kg N outcome from the calculation for farms in the top category. As the number of farms between 6500 and 7000 is relatively small, the total impact on those farms at the higher level of output would have been more negative if 7000kg cut-off point were used. There will always be a cluster of farms around a certain cut-off point that feel hard done by but if you had say 6 bands then there would be even more famers complaining about being the wrong side of the line. More lines, more marginal cases.

In effect then, whether intended or not (!), the 8000+ litre herds are gaining most by the 6500kg banding as they are not being penalized for their 1500 litres of milk above the threshold. Also, for herds at say 7000, they can drive on now with no additional bands on the horizon to trip them up. The highest output herds have been well treated in this setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭cute geoge

why sell rented property ,could you not remortage it to come up with the readies .I taught ics used do these sort of loans .Many acres are you after?

I would be slow selling anything but easy enough get back into property later on at any rate but you will rarely seen nice farms coming up

I agree with you. 8, 9k litres herds are getting away light. The band was set too low. And if lads were not feeding so much to calves, if they had compact calving and if they were recording dry off dates accurately there would be alot more over 6300 litres in reality. As I said, it was a very poor effort from teagasc in coming up with the bands. A guy feeding a ton is treated the same as the guys with the diet feeder and feeding 2 ton.

But setting the band around 6500 to minimize the cumulative effect is the whole point. In the methodology used, in any country you like, if you push the band up then the organic N value by definition will go up too. That holds because more milk = more feed= more excretion of N. The same calculation that gives you 106 at 6500 would give you 118kg N at 7000.

Imagine the reaction if the system was published saying herds over 7000 are at 120kg N and over 8000 are 130kg N for example?

I think it would be a much fairer system if it reflected the inputs.

I have a high ebi, compact calving, getting as close to 300 days in milk as possible, automatic calf feeder, recording accurate dry off dates and feeding 1 ton of ration. Good grassland management and maximising grass in the diet. I'm treated the same as the guy feeding 2 ton in an indoor system. If I changed to milking the cows once a day I could milk as many as I like. Makes no sense - FACT. 🙄

You'd wonder why the plug is been pulled here, millions spent on the place, and money wouldn't be a issue, finding staff to run the place was ment to be a issue

If I was you straights I would take the wife out for dinner this evening and tell her your sorry and keep the rental cause the reality is that farming in Ireland could go either way so I wouldn't be making any rash decisions based on banding. It's like when the quotas went everyone was freaking out about trying to stay under but the majority of us went over and paid the superlevy and I didn't see any dairy farmer dying of the hunger

Dry off dates has nothing to do with the banding

it’s going to be calculated on litres sold to coop on coop report divided by av cow numbers for the year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭ginger22

Best of luck with your new project. Have you considered the extra workload, burning time and money travelling back and over to that extra bit of land.

Think you should also have a chat with your accountant before selling rental property, revenue could do well out of it. I think the "wife" would be doing you a favour if she refuses to sell.

Advertisement