Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - Part 3 - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Even The Journal is covering it.

The comments look a bit negative. Wonder if the FFers will remove him as leader? The attendance figures for the Ard Fheis are supposed to be down on previous years according to the Irish Mirror a few days ago.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I agree with you, however the 2 current government parties have in the past said that in the event of a border poll they would welcome the 6 counties into the republic. SF and the SDLP (who are now part of FF) do enough campaigning on those grounds

I also agree that a border poll today would today fail in the 6 counties, mainly on grounds of health (No NHS in the republic)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,136 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Good article.

"The coalescing of FF-FG in Government since 2020 has only solidified the public’s perception that the two parties are one and the same, they added."

The Irish language also a higher priority than 'Strong Public Services'. That wont fly in a recession.

"Fianna Fáilers have for a long time known that if they fail to make progress with the housing crisis, it is game over for the party. "

"Those within the party say it will take more than a few social media classes to get the party’s message across. Sorting out the problems within is simply the first step."

That's for sure. The next couple of years will be chaotic.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,667 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Another complete flight of fancy from you. After the biggest giveaway budget in the history of the State, you are wondering will FF remove their leader!!!!!

Silly nonsense. Desperate stuff.

Short sighted budget. Completely dependent on MNC taxes too. Let's see how next year's budget compares. The tech stocks are in freefall so that bonanza will end.

The FFG inspired massive national debt has left us completely hamstrung for options as we enter stormy economic waters.

And yet health and housing are still an unmitigated DISASTER.

But at least Bertie will be president.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,096 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Tommy Bowe asking Leo the tough homeless questions and no real answers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

lol whos pricing this stuff. Apparently the hse are going to spend over 600m on bolstering cyber security ??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Is it just me or does your man Darragh O'Brien look like Johnny Vegas??

A big 20 chin bag of Malahide shite.

The most houses built in history of the state. 50,000 houses.

How many. Sorry?

How many? Sorry?

Answer the question.

Sinn Fein, Independents, PBP>

So how many?

10 or something.

Hardware updates, softwhare updates, new software, redesigned networks, backup systems, staff training, hiring people. It all adds up.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Have worked in the industry. That means they have been running crap for pretty much 20 years say. No regard for security patient data ability to restore was an afterthought. But over half a billion it's pretty insane amount of money. Just think 1/4 of a children's hospital. Makes you wonder what shape the revenue is in sw local government even the dail. I had the misfortune of supporting the Revenue Administrators with no idea what they were doing or talking about. Probably some high ups son. But I don't believe that eye watering figure is accurate. Lets wait and see "who" has a company that gets a contract.

Hard not to be cynical having worked in the industry. One of the biggest problems with HSE it the lack of uniform sytems. Some software might not work on the latest version of Windows 10 and lots of computers may be incompatible with Microsoft's latest brainfart of Windows 11. There are also different operating systems and potentially Cloud issues. Then there's the licencing costs and staff training. Ideally, a system would require a hot spare that could be put into action at any time.

It is a huge operation and the problem with the government, and previous governments, is that they often appointed ministers with Mickey Mouse intellects and no experience of business to run the department. Donnelly has more of a clue than previous ministers as he worked for a well known consultancy. The problem with governments is that they often base their decisions on which bidder puts on the best dog and pony show. The government procurement process is flawed. If you remember the old expression that "nobody ever got fired for buying IBM" that's the level of knowledge of some politicians. That's why things like PPARS and the HSE happen.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 15,064 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I would not be too sure on Martin either going voluntarily or being pushed.

I get they feeling that he is not that popular within the party and has not been for some time. Many appreciated after the banking crisis that he saved them from oblivion and did not wish to see him as the first FF leader to break with tradition to not become Taoiseach. There is also a tradition in FF as far as I know, but I may be incorrect, that any leader of FF who stepped down as Taoiseach also stepped down as leader of the party. It will be interesting to see within the parliamentary party what the reaction will be if he does not do so and give a new leader time before the next GE.

If the rumours of him looking for the Foreign Affairs post while remaining on as leader and Tanaiste are true I would not see that endearing him to many. I could see it being looked at as a vehicle for his own aspirations for a future post with the E.U., U.N. or a future run for the Phoenix Park.

Neither would I see this latest budget gaining him much universal praise. Give away budgets are those that leave people with more money in their pockets. That is not what this latest one is. People will still end up with less in those pockets. While this energy crisis is partly the reason for that, there are many, especially among the traditional FF rural based electorate, that would see FF and Martin, especially as leader, also hitting them in the pocket.

What is wrong with the gobdaw ministers in our government? They are refusing to answer straight questions these days. Any question on housing brings a coached response...."supply issues"...."won't be fixed overnight". McConalogue on Katie Hannon was asked straight questions about house builds and planning numbers and he just refused to answer. Wafflers. It's clear they haven't a grip on things. The housing minister answers exactly the same way but in a very aggressive and arrogant way.

The latest Sindo/ Ireland Thinks poll shows no Budget Bounce.

SF: 37% (+1)

FG: 21%

FF: 17% (+1)

PBP/S: 4% (-1)

GP: 4% (+2)

SD: 3% (-1)

LAB: 3%

AON: 3% +/- 2 Meán Fómh/Sept 2022 Via

@ireland_thinks / @TheSundayIndo

Deir Fómh/Oct 2022 S: 1,254

FFG may have been hoping for a Budget Bounce but it has not shown up in this poll. The movements are all within the Margin of Error but with FF not getting a bounce, the ice beneath Martin is getting thinner.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

They shite on about it every day in the media.

Back in 2000 and whatever we had 6 or 7000

Now 20 years later we have 25000 ( the biggest in the history of the state0 don't know if it's social or private but it was fact checked and the number was 127

Seriously though a lot are in Dublin but what good are gaffs selling for 7-800,000 to a million or rentals at 2500 +

I know **** all about it but there must be some levy's or duties hidden in there like the insurance cartels they would do **** all about, they don't want it to decrease because the more we pay the more they get back in tax.

and they all own peoperty everwhere, be it ff, fg, sf, ind....

They really are scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,608 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I posted a few days ago that I didn't expect there to be a bounce, at best, they have avoided any mis-steps.

It really is going to come down to execution, get builds completed, get things like childcare costs organised and reduced, use the windfall from the energy companies to solve short term pains which makes the opinion polls a long slog.

We may see a bit of FG upswing after the Taoiseach rotates, but I doubt it will be much (and will be interesting who tries to take credit for the windfall).

It is mid-term, the opposition should be far ahead in the polls, it is only the last four to five months before the election that you would expect to see a change.

Expect away. They will need a miracle 😂

Leo on the way to piss the electorate off even more.

I can imagine the slogan in GE.Next...."We ruined housing and health and crippled you with debt but we gave you a few quid towards the ESB bill in 2022. Vote the power swap."

Vote FF, get FG. Vote FFG and get higher bills.

Opposition parties will gut FFG at the next GE.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement

I'm not sure that the handover will see a rise in support for FG. Its fans in the Sindo/Indo will be doing their bit to promote FG but those energy bills are going to damage any prospects for a boost. Talking down expectations of a Budget Bounce is very much an excuse at this stage. Most of the energy companies have put up their prices and will probably keep trying to increase them. SF is going to use this and is also going with a motion on the bricks issue. AS for FFG not making many missteps, look at its past record with Troy Story. Varadkar got slapped down by McGrath over the Finance position and it looks like someone in FF has decided that Martin's craven grovelling to Varadkar and FG is a thing of the past. If FG tries to hold on to positions that FFers want, it will cause serious problems for the longevity of the FFG government.

While the Sindo/Ireland Thinks polling methodology is generally unfavourable to FF, the RedC poll is yet to come. FFers seem to like the RedC poll if not its results. B&A is more favourable to FF due to its face to face polling. What should be worrying FF is that the 17% is almost becoming a constant across different polls. I think that there's an Irish Times/Ipsos poll due as well. If that's bad for FF then the gloves will come off in FF. FFG had better be praying for a mild Winter because energy bills are going to be the new Water Tax.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 16,608 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Vote SF, get FF (it will probably be FFFF by the time the election gets here).

You really do get lost in the polls. There is no point in anyone looking at them at the moment, certainly not to the extent of examining and comparing their methodologies. The time for polls will be when an election has been called.

A portion of the SF support includes people who are angry at the moment. As an emotion, it is difficult to keep anger up for a long period of time, and often, when reflecting, anger fades. That is why mid-term polls, based on emotional anger are not a good long-term guide to elections that are far away.

You should report jmcc for talking about the latest polls in national newspapers 😂😉

I love these polls and jmcc's analysis is excellent.

I get that they make you uncomfortable but feel free to ignore the poll discussions.

The fact that FG had it's worst ever result in a Red C/Business Post poll recently is not an anomaly, it's a serious trend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭howiya

Seán Fleming says its right that the construction industry should make a contribution to mica redress. Then goes on to say that the cost will be passed on to consumers

That concrete block levy was a crazy decision. A tax on first time buyers essentially. A punishment on new buyers for the Mica disaster.

Affects a lot more people than first time buyers as pointed out by Fitzmaurice on the show

• Registered Users Posts: 15,070 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Do you think the mica redress scheme should be scrapped as well? If not how should it be funded?

Why do you think it should be funded by consumers?

Ultimately the levy won’t be funding the mica redress scheme if the target is to bring in €80m a year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,070 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Where did I say it should be funded by consumers?

I asked another poster a completely different question I am not sure why replied to my post.

Advertisement