Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

It's not just the price of entry. The PC provides too much choice and options. And stuff that might / might not work. Or that need tweaking, configuration. The consoles are plug and play.

I can't understand why MS don't allow dual boot on an Xbox ? Then it could run PC titles, including Sony exclusives. 😝

Or Sony and MS create one console platform. They could distinguish themselves the same way Netflix and Disney+ do. Or with VR rigs. Would save software developers and consumers a load of cost. Also, would save Sony and MS a load of costs subsidising console sales and developing competing consoles. Also save a load of landfill.

Also, when everything does go cloud based ... Nobody will know or care what's running in the backend.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Choice and options is a myth spread by console owners that haven't played on pc in years. Pretty all modern games are plug and play. Consoles are getting more and more complex and have pretty much lost their plug and play nature. It really isn't that hard. PC hardware has gotten a lot easier and the advent of steam and gog have made playing games on PC an awful lot easier.

Sure there might be some fiddling to get an old game working but all that takes is to find the thread in the steam discussions that walls you through and it's never as hard as you make out. Gog usually make sure these games work unlike steam.

Of course there's some bad ports and rushed releases but they are in a very small minority.

The advent of the fast ssd access has at least made the console UIs a lot more useable. The PS4 and XBox One UI in comparison were absolutely atrocious to use compared to say steam on pc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Hopefully the next AMD GPUs are affordable or Intel up their driver game, because at the moment I find it hard to recommend traditional PC gaming to anyone other than enthusiasts. Just too pricey to achieve the usual benefits over consoles.

I think most people would be better off with a next gen console (fantastic performers for the price) and a Steam Deck - a pair of excellent devices that together would be around the same price as an entry to mid level desktop PC. PC still has its benefits - from VR to emulation to niche titles / genres to highest-end graphics - but the pricing is silly. There was a time around the last gen launch when you’d get double or better console performance with a €300-400 GPU. Now you wouldn’t get anywhere near that for the price alas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I notice MS keeping XBox price static despite the strong dollar and inflation.

If they'd have bought exclusive rights to e.g. Elden Ring for a couple of years instead of pumping ridiculous sums into yet another Halo they could be really competing now.

I know Elden Ring is a "niche" title, but it's the sort of thing that carries a huge amount of kudos with it.

That and that Cat game that came out earlier this year. Small change for MS.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

As much as I love how much pc brings to the table over consoles, I'd be the same recommending a console over it due to the price and parts scarcity. Finding a GPU broke my heart.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Same. I much prefer PC gaming and it has advantages but prices have just gone mental.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Only tangential to games, but Yikes. I watched a few more of those Jordan Peterson písstake videos (where he's inserted into games as the ranting villain, ala Command & Conquer), the meme has already flamed out but whatever ... suddenly YouTube is recommending me a bunch of anti-woke essays and rants by scruffy neck-beards. I really hate the world of algorithms sometimes. There's enough of that on Boards as it is thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

This is where the Steam Deck comes in, at least for me. Has made me a primarily PC gamer for the first time since the early 2000's. Now that it is (relatively) available, it is going to be a serious option for a lot of people.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

You lose a lot of the key PC advantages with a Steam Deck, and it’s seriously compromised if you wanted to connect it to a TV or monitor. It’s a pure handheld, for better and worse. But for anyone who just wants access to a good chunk of the Steam Library, emulators etc… it’s a perfect entry point, and a great companion to a traditional console. It’s also excellent value compared to the general costs of PC gaming at the moment.

The docked experience has improved massively since launch, it is a completely viable way to play games on it nowadays.

• Advertisement

I'm Looking for a new GPU at the moment. Looks like around €525 for a 3060, upgrading from a RX 580. I have a 1440p monitor, so it's mostly a 1080p -> 1440p bump I'm looking for as 1080p games on the monitor have a bit of a fuzzy (not sure what the right word is) look to them.

But now I see it's the same price as a steam deck more or less. Mmmmm... What's it like plugged into a 1440p monitor? I'm guessing pretty "fuzzy" looking? :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,023 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

A steam deck won't be a powerful as a 3060. Huge waiting list on them as well.

Theres a 6700XT on Amazon for £449. Would be better than a 3060 I believe. Probably find something cheaper and that's the first I came across with a quick look.

Yeah this is the limitation of the Steam Deck. It works great as a handheld with a 720p screen, but you'll hit major graphical limitations when you try to play anything fairly modern (like PS4/XB1 era and beyond) on 1080p or higher. You'll get nowhere near the performance of a 30 series card, and yeah it'll look fuzzy or 'soft' on a 1440p monitor. You'll be absolutely fine with (supported) older games or streaming, but not so much on newer ones running natively.

But that's the dilemma - the chase for graphical oomph and DLSS magic comes at an increasingly high (and honestly ridiculous) cost, while the SD offers great handheld performance / price while offering a much more limited desktop experience than you'd get with a traditional PC. So it depends on what you're looking for.

If you're in no major rush I'd wait until reviews come in for the new AMD GPUs and the higher-end Intel ones. They could be a better upgrade than an expensive 30 series one, although Intel has a lot of work to do with its drivers.

Good video from Digital Foundry here showing what you can expect from the Deck performance wise - from native 4K/60 Half-Life 2 through playable but very fuzzy and ugly FF7R or Horizon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭Cordell

That's a 3060ti price, 3060 8G and 12G versions are cheaper, around 350 and 450.

The Waiting list has been cut down massively, people ordering them now are getting them in a matter of weeks

If the PC is your primary gaming device then def get the GPU. I love the steam deck and have spent more time on it than any other device since I got it 6 months ago, but it just isn't capable of replacing my primary device.

Where can I find one at that price? Not that I want you to do my shopping research for me, but if you have know a good site with those kinds of prices I'd love to hear. I haven't bought a GPU since Brexit, the shopping experience has all changed.

Amazon.de, which is usually my goto place for computer components.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,023 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Honestly it was my first thought the moment the tech was announced. It's obviously company policy that while they have these "incubator" aspects to the company, there's no appetite or strategy to actually push the products into the mainstream. Suppose it keeps the engineers engaged, without committing to actual outlay of income - and if it succeeds despite the negligible support, bonus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Anyone the figures Google lost over the years with stupid purchases and crazy ideas.

Yes, I know they are super rich but still.

I imagine the "creative" accounting done in the upper climbs of the business has ensured nobody loses their shirt. Christ the way the US tax code works, or doesn't, I'd not be surprised if Google earn money from these failures.

Anyone know if Google will be refunding game purchases, I have 4 games that I have on other platforms would be win, win if they repay

We will be refunding all Stadia hardware purchases made through the Google Store, and all game and add-on content purchases made through the Stadia store

So yes, but only if you got them through Stadia store

• Registered Users Posts: 9,175 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Not sure about financial losses, but there's a website that tracks what they've killed:

The number of messaging apps they've started and let die huge.

I still miss Reader and Inbox.

It's not a complete financial loss to them, they still have the patents. And patents are much more easily defended in litigation if you also have or had a commercial product.

Good riddance. One of the best ever fighting games, the samurai showdown reboot was murderer by releasing on stadia and delayed a steam release by over a year to launch as a dead title. **** stadia.

• Advertisement

Seems that The Last of Us part 1 could have had very disappointing sales. In the UK physical sales it sold half as much on opening week as the Saints Row reboot did on it's opening night.

Advertisement