Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT during the 2020/21 Covid19 pandemic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭zg3409

Ring the helpline. It may still take 2 or 3 weeks to get a date. The "priority" on website does not seem to work and dates are crazy far away.

I got my car passed well in advance of expiration of NCT, but it took a lot of hassle ringing helpline and trying to get a booking date.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,643 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It is a farce and Applus should be getting hammered over it, but aren't.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Mike3549

Closest date around Dublin was 7th feb 2023 3hours ago, logged in after midnight there are some spots on tuesday in carlow, athlone, tullamore, portlaoise, some in sept. Booked in deansgrange for tuesday. Keep checking after midnight guys and good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 8,781 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

If you put in a bit of work by checking the website you'll get a date sooner

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Paddy_Mski

Apologies if this was answered already but I have a query. My car failed on a cv boot and is due for replacement tomorrow. I have booked the re-inspection for tomorrow evening. What I would like to know is if the tester will just check the major fault or the entire car again? Surely it would just be the fault but unsure and thought id ask.

Thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Paddy_Mski

Ring them and ask them for a cancellation. I did and got a date the following week 👍🏼

If it's within 28 days of the first test they will just check the failed item unless the fail caused them to be unable to check other things. They might need to check wheel alignment or similar things after probably wheel and hub have been removed and refitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

So on the one hand the government are asking An Garda Síochána and insurance companies to adopt a 'pragmatic' approach to expired NCTs because of the lengthy backlog waiting for a test appointment but on the other hand the Road Safety Authority, a statutory public body and government appointed agency of the Department of Transport, will not show the same 'pragmatism'.

It's a total farce. If the public body with responsibility for both driver testing and driver licensing and for the governance and supervision of the National Car Testing Service cannot provide the services it is tasked to provide, the public should not be disadvantaged by the incompetence of the government or its appointed agencies.

If an NCT appointment cannot be obtained within 28 days , then a vehicle's NCT should be extended until the date of the appointment offered and be valid for a year from the date of testing, not backdated to when a test appointment couldn't be offered.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Wow, what an absolute farce. The last NCT I did was back in February and while I did have to try a few times online to get a suitable date within a couple of weeks it wasn't too bad and was similar to previous years.

WTF has happened since then. I have another car due in November. Went on website, saw a load of waffle about insurance companies being "pragmatic" in case of expired NCTs (I note there is no mention of the Gardai being pragmatic) Entered my reg, told car was not due yet, do I want to continue. Yes - nearest slot in many centres is in February or March 2023.

Looks like yet another Irish state failure. It doesn't matter that this state service is outsourced to the private sector- if Applus can't provide the service, we need concrete action e.g. penalise Appius and extend everyone's NCT while the problem is sorted. Not some wishy washy crap on a website about insurance companies being pragmatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭slay55

My nct was due this month

I went online and next available date was April 2023. I tried again at 5:30am when I got up and got an appointment for 48hours later.

Any cancellations appear online after 11:30pm usually

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

I thought this was over. Nearest appointment in Naas in March.

Does the government, RSA or whoever is responsible for this have a plan in place? Shut this website down and make appointment by phone only as it makes no sense and is pathetic really.

Regular drivers don't look at their nct 6 months in advance to book a test.

That website is useless and has no purpose at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭dasa29

My car NCT was due on 1st August 2022 and so while my car was being serviced on Friday 8th July, I went on to the NCT website to see if I could book a test.

So was just after 2 pm that day when I went on to the website and after putting in my details it said I could get a NCT test between 25th and 29th of July 2022, so I went and booked 2pm Friday 29th July 2022.

The car passed the NCT thankfully and it was in Mullingar NCT Centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Mine is due Oct 26th, 2022

Checked the site today and got a booking for Oct 12th, 2022

Galway City.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Administrators Posts: 53,709 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Has anyone left car seats in the car during the NCT? Any issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

No issue once they’re tight/secure

• Registered Users Posts: 34,643 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Yeah I never bother taking the Isofix seat out anymore, no problems.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Administrators Posts: 53,709 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

They do check them if installed and they do check the seat belts either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭donkey balls

So car is due NCT end of October North point giving me a date in April with both Fonthill and Deansgrange dates in February.What seems to be the issue is it the backlog from CV19 which be nearly three years ago?

Was talking to some traffic lad in Dublin Castle and was explaining the situation and asked him, If any plans like extending the dates on the NCT in fairness he wasn't aware of the bavk logs in testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Related to this. I acquired a car that the previous owner hadn't put through the NCT. It expired in October 2021. I have it booked in for October this year, about ten days before the due date anniversary. Surely they won't only issue a cert valid for those ten days, and then I'll need to re-test?

If that is the case, would it make any difference to reschedule til after the anniversary, or am I always going to have to pay for two tests?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,007 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Put it back for 10 days or more and you will get (hopefully it passes) the cert for the Oct 22/Oct 23 period.

It doesn't matter how long the car is out of test , or even if it was never tested. What matter is the date/month it’s due. You’ll get 12 months from it’s due date if it passes next month. You’d even get up to 15 months if you had tested it any time within 90 days of it due date.

No, it can expire for a year + and when tested and passed it will get the full 12 months from the last due date. Not from the first due date.

Not really sure if you misunderstood my post. What I’m saying is that if a test expired say 15/10/2021 or even 15/10/2016 and it passed the test today it would get until 15/10/2023. Even if the test expired 15/12/2018 and it passed today it would get u til 15/12/2023 because it’s within 90 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

So, the NCT is out since 21 October 2021, but was apparently done in May '21 (according to the cert on the car) and only got those 5 months.

It would surely make sense for me to try to get a test date after 21 October this year, to do me until 21 October 2023.

The test is currently booked for 9 October.

If it passes 9th October you’ll get a cert until 21/10/23. The reason it got a short cert is cos it was overdue but wasnt done within 90 days of 21/10

Oh agree with that. But what the poster above was asking was about taking his car for testing just 10 days before a full year had lapsed. I think it would be back dated to last year and he would have to get another test for his upcoming year. Accordingly I suggested he rearranges the test for a date that would leave him getting passe d hopefully for the upcoming year.

My NCT expired in March 20. I didn't put it through until Nov 20 and was passed until March 21. For a variety of reasons I didn't get the car tested for the period up to March 22 but put it through in April last and it's passes now until March 23.

I suppose the point I'm making is if a car is tested anytime during the 365 day period following the due date it will get the cert from the due date only.

No he will get until 21/10/23. The reason you got until March 21 was because u tested it more than 90 days before it due date. Say for example your car was due 15th March and you had tested it roughly around 18th December you’d have gotten until March 22.

So what you're saying is that it makes no difference whether there's a current cert or not and as long as its tested within 90 days of the due date then it will get passed for the following year?

That works fine for a car with a current cert but Im not so sure if the 90 day rule will apply when its almost a year out of date. But Im happy to learn something new. 😃

• Advertisement

The 90 days rule applies for every car regardless of when it expired/expires. A short test only applies when an overdue car is tested more then 90 days before it’s due date and month.

Also if a car has a current/valid test for say 6 months and it gets tested , it will get 12 months from the date it passes. Some garages do that to make a car that has been sitting on the forecourt more sellable.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement