Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Fishdoodle

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

The pricing they list there is way off. Its not based on the new Bord Gais rates or even their previous rates so the rate you'll actually get is not the rate they list on the website. It'll be 33% off the new bord Gais urban 24hr rate which is about 48.19 cent per kilowatt hour. So in the order of 32.28 cent ish. Way off the 22 cent they say it'll be.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Pierrette

Choosing which provider will offer the best value is an absolute minefield. I can only imagine how much more difficult it's be for people not so familiar with online research. There certainly needs more regulation (CRU) so the average consumer can easily compare like for like.

Here's a potentially very stupid question... Can you sign up for The Big Switch deal as a brand new consumer (as in you've recently moved house). Ive noticed on the form it asks they you check a box to say that you've resided in that property for at least 14months

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

That big switch deal looks like a great deal, compare it to the only 24hr offer on their website at the moment, 10% off the same unit rate!

Lots of the companies have cut down on the big % off unit tariff in the last week, and giving cashback and a smaller unit rate discount. That's ok for me as a low usage consumer cashback looks better at about 2700kwh a year, but if you are using 4200 kwh a year its about 177 euro cheaper than SSE, which is the next cheapest 24hr offer available now for 4200kwh (these figures are based on offers today and the price rises coming soon, ex VAT until the last cash column)

sry, removed a couple of columns

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I just switched to Bord Gais, Smart Dual Fuel EV Plan. I got 38% discount on gas and 29% discount on electricity, seem like a good deal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,116 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

• Registered Users Posts: 18,263 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Peak smart tariffs are going up. Another reason to avoid them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

I agree entirely. That's all fine and understood in the totally commercially motivated environment ... it is always a risk that the consumer takes.

My argument however is with the regulator, apparently looking after the interests of consumers by recommending the use of these sites and officially endorsing them by allowing use of their (CRU) logo on the comparison websites. In their response to me, the CRU admits that their approval provides a degree of customer confidence to the sites ... one which I think they do not deserve and certainly not from a government appointed regulator.

See here, for the ringing endorsement that the CRU gives to comparison sites : https://www.cru.ie/home/switching-supplier/

When I pointed out how one particular site was deliberately being evasive by not providing specific info that would allow the consumer to select search criteria that would show better (cheaper) direct deals.... they don't want to know. They have found in favour of the company over the interests of the hard pressed consumer, trying to work through the total mess of a market that the CRU purports to regulate. The introduction of private enterprise and 'regulation' to the energy market has resulted in a situation where the consumer has to spend more time, more regularly, searching and comparing in an attempt to save less money. The idea of charging you €50 per utility to change supplier out of contract is laughable.... the time I spend every year trying to work out and around the various tariff scams is worth far more than €50 and no one compensates me for that.

From their mission statement : " Our mission is to regulate water, energy and energy safety, in the public interest" .... yeah right🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Call me cynical.... but this is a tactic to strong arm people out of peak usage in order to mask the issue that lack of foresight and planning has resulted in a real fear of demand now exceeding generated supply capacity. As usual, the consumer ends up paying for the screw up's of people paid to plan ahead and failing miserably.

PS. I know Russia invading Ukraine is an issue, but our lack of planning and preparation for the future .... any future, has left us particularly vulnerable to a disgraceful extent. If it wasn't the war in Ukraine, something else would have hammered us anyway.

Post edited by Ger Roe on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,624 ✭✭✭bren2001

Charging a higher rate for electricity usage during peak hours is a very sensible thing to do. People should be discouraged from using non-essential electricity during these hours. The large variation from the base-load average means energy costs a lot more to produce and consumers (business and residential) should pay more for it. The proposal from the CRU is 10% higher for two hours of the day and 10% lower for the remaining day rate hours. Modifying your routine would result in a net saving for the consumer i.e. don't use your electric shower or tumble dryer during these hours.

This was always the plan for smart meters and provides a far more flexible tariff to be rolled out. Nobody is being "strong armed". This was always going to come in at some stage (and has been in on some plans). The war in Ukraine I suspect has sped up this plan.

I do agree, some of it is bad planning and we were at risk of blackouts before the gas shortage which is bonkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Iam of the view and I may be incorrect but it appears that the CRU doesn't see consumer protection within its remit or if it is within its remit it is in no way fulfilling its role.

A lot of carrot and stick ahead as suppliers and state try to cajole people to use smart plans.

Only impacts the 4% of people who have signed up to a smart tariff anyway so it's small beans. This pricing is not going to suddenly encourage the other 96% to sign up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

With comparison sites being for profit, the CRU should be regulating them far better for sure. We all know the history in this country of light touch regulation, leading to ineffective regulation. It always benefits industry, never the consumer.

With regards to your compliant to the CRU, I would hope they realise you have a point. However, they won't admit to a failure as that would imply they are not doing what they should be doing — protecting the consumer. They have to stick to their core belief. Instead what may happen is a report will be commissioned as to how to improve transparency and regulation. This report will then recommend a number of changes that they could implement to enhance and simplify the market and information provided by comparison sites in particular.

This will of course take a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,178 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Yes you are correct in your comment. However there's a bit more to unpack here. Let's take Electric Ireland smart rates for an example

Day: 44.51c per kWh.

Night: 23.39c per kWh

Peak: 47.46c per kWh

According to the RTE article

Under the decision, peak time rates will be 10% higher than the day rate but during off-peak hours, the rate charged will be 10% lower.

In theory this should mean the new rates are

Day: 40.06c per kWh

Night: 21.05c per kWh

Peak: 48.96c per kWh

However the article also states

For domestic customers, the prices they finally face will be set by their energy provider who may choose to follow through the directive from the CRU fully or in part, depending on the plan.

So effectively Electric Ireland can do what they want

By comparison to the 24hr plan of 40.89c there's little point or the nightsaver of 43.68c/21.55c there's a marginal saving

It might help anybody who activated a smart plan in good faith and wound up getting screwed

The Standing Charge on those BG EV plans is nearly €150 more the non-EV plans.

Jaysus, is that per year? I was really just looking at the cheap night rate for the EV.

These are the rates on the Smart Dual Fuel EV plan.

Day units (8am to 11pm) 23.40 cent per kWh

Peak units (5pm to 7pm) 32.64 cent per kWh

Night units (11pm to 8am) 17.65 cent per kWh

EV units (2am to 5am) 5.97 cent per kWh

Annual Standing Charge €418.78

However, for the non EV version... Standard Smart Dual Fuel plan...

Day units (8am to 11pm) 25.09 cent per kWh

Peak units (5pm to 7pm) 30.55 cent per kWh

Night units (11pm to 8am) 18.53 cent per kWh

Annual Standing Charge €281.12

Yeah that's cheeky, is that excluding discounts?

No, above is the current pricing including discounts.

• Advertisement

And all the unit prices quoted above are going up on sunday as well.

I'm in cooling off period until the 31st, is there a consensus at all for the best deal? I have a smart meter, EV and combi boiler(gas for hot water).

Do you know your actual usage? As in how many kwh you use a year, peak / off peak / day?

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭UID0

It's not the overall charge that is being increased/decreased, it's the network use portion of the charge, which is 5.047 c/kWh (+VAT), that will mean a change of 0.5c/kWh

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭AhhHere

Can I sign up to one big switch if I just moved into my house? There's a check box asking if you live in the property for the past 14 months and is mandatory to proceed.

No answers online.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Give it a try. Is that related to credit checks? They may come back looking for previous address and BG may request a deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Pierrette

I had the exact same question earlier this week. I couldn't find the answer so I ploughed ahead and ticked the box. Account confirmed this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭kenn0

Hi all

had BG at the door yesterday offering 25% off gas and electric. Anybody else get this offer? I was busy at the time so didn’t get unit pricing or standing charge. Ringing him later to check.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭droidman123

I never send in readings to my provider (bord gais) does it really make a difference or do the bills balance out during the year anyway?i,m with them for electricity and gas

Advertisement