Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

• Registered Users Posts: 7,635 ✭✭✭Inviere

Examples like this shine a very positive light on the value of console exploits. The obvious downside can be piracy, but when you're left with no legitimate option to purchase a game, I'll be damned if I feel bad for getting it the only other way that's left to me.

My PS4 Pro sitting happily on firmware 9.00 thankfully opens up those latter options.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Apple tv, paramount are two more that come off the top of my head. You have to pirate stuff now to get everything you want

I'm uploading to TikTok the last while with some retro stuff. Here's a comment off a highlander laserdisc being played on a huge tv someone said

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Sky movies had a great selection up until about 4-5 years ago, great on demand shows too. Then once Prime and a few others came along it was watered down. Then Disney, Paramount etc. Luckily I have access to other people's Netflix, Prime and Disney in return for my Spotify family plan.

Definitely pushing me towards getting a NAS and just archiving stuff. Not against paying for a decent streaming service, it's just hard to see stuff coming and going and having mediocre selection across several services. Plenty of niche shows aren't on any service at all and some that are aren't even available in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

And then you have rubbish like what's happening with Final Space, once the international streaming contracts are gone for Netflix it will no longer be available as Discovery are nuking it to get a tax break.

Watch in 2 years that the rotting carcass of WB is sold to Comcast and the IPs get auctioned to the highest bidder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,816 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Haha from the same school of commentary that was wondering why you weren't running an emulator in your arcade machines. People are gas. 😁

I picked up a NAS a few months back as I've never really played around with one before and have it set up now with Kodi on the TV. Works great. As you said, great for archiving things so you'll know they're always there. I'm primarily using mine for Media you'd never get on streaming services, like 90s videogame shows etc.

The big down side with this kind of a thing though (which is very much evident in my old digital Music collection!) is how it becomes out of date with advancements in hardware technology. I've a similar film and TV show archive on another harddrive that I would have spent a long time putting together years ago, but the films are all circa 700mb big and you'd never dream of watching them on a modern display.

Yeah the NAS was a game changer for me too. Albeit, a bloody expensive one. I've got a relatively small array, circa 38TB (as compared to others who go over 100TB!), but when you factor in that's just for data storage, then I've x2 14TB drives for parity protection too. It's only when you think then that a failing power supply, or a bolt of lightning, can take the whole thing out instantly...you realise it's all still pretty vulnerable. So then to counter that I've cold backups of everything on USB (I mount the external drives to the server maybe once a month, and run a script that mirrors any changes I've made on the array to the externals), and then I've critical data backed up to cloud also....so the 3-2-1 approach isn't a cheap hobby. What is it with my hobbies, all expensive stuff....I should have taken up jogging or something!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,873 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I do go a bit mental on the data side of things and have just a ton of stuff on my NAS(12+12 Bays), then a duplicate NAS in the garage which syncs new Movies, TV and other large files overnight and the more important stuff in real time(which also goes up to the cloud). It can get pricey, even just sticking with 12TB drives per bay, but having lost drives in the past I'll never be without a decent backup solution again.

Can you add a backup drive at a different time without losing data or am I going to have to commit to 2 drives up front? It's hard to know if I need 4 bays for future needs or if I should spend extra on 16TB for example...

The only time I've ever lost a drive was when I moved and they were two older drives from an office. My 1TB Samsung F1 from ~2008 is still going strong, only replaced it last year with a 2TB! Obviously if I'm investing time into a NAS with that sort of volume a backup is essential though.

@Inviere jogging is still a hobby. So you'll have your supportive shoe for days you're not feeling it, then your €200 race like casual shoe for your daily runs, and your €300 actual race day shoe. But only for short races. You'll need a different shoe for the marathons too. Plus all the different layers for when it's too hot or when it's raining!

With Unraid, you can add drives to the array no problem, as long as they're equal to or smaller than your Parity drive. I've grown my array from 8TB to nearly 40TB just by adding and replacing drives along the way.

Re jogging, true enough 😊

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Summoning Salt has a new MegaMan 2 video ready to go which keeps getting erroneously flagged by YouTube for nudity. They obviously are just letting the boys review the content

No wonder I'm enjoying the Maximum Tune soundtracks so much, they're by Yuzo Koshiro who did Streets of Rage and Revenge of Shinobi (which are all on Spotify, I only recently manually added the MP3s from my PC to my Spotify library on my phone!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Any takers?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

It gets bleaker by the day, doesn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

To those with big storage systems and servers, what is the power usage for your set up? I've everything running 24/7 and am afraid to check.

It's handy not just for video media but also for emulation/cabs. Put the groovymame pc cabs, mister etc on the network you can point them all to the shared drive with the rom and artwork data. Much easier to maintain in one location than managing each one individually. If krikzz added network adapter support to his pro flash carts with the usb port it would be perfect (no more faffing about with sd cards).

Come to think of it, I also use the server for cctv recording and automatic ebay sniping :D

I've a fairly efficient i3 10100 running mine, 4 core 8 thread...its all I need for my use, so power usage is low. I also configured it to power down at midnight, and boot back up at 4pm every day because it sees zero use outside of those hours. I can manually boot it or boot via wol if needed otherwise.

I also have the vast majority of my emulation archive stored on it, and exported as an smb share. My windows pc then mounts that share as a network drive, and everything just works.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,873 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I worked out my NAS usage costs out about 6 months ago. I'm was paying about €15-€18 euro a month in electricity, so that's probably about €22-€26 now with all the price increases. That's 2 NAS devices, each with 12+12 drives(12 bay NAS with addition 12 bay storage box attached), so 48 drives in total. Most normal people wouldn't have that large a NAS so the cost would be way lower than that, maybe €5-€10 a month max.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Remember when gamefaqs used to like this?

If you do then that means you are a loser noob gamer that needed to use gamefaqs.

The poll suggesting the PS2 needed any help with sales is hilarious in retrospect.

• Affordable Space Adventures
    • Bayonetta 1 & 2
    • Captain Toad
    • Donkey Kong TF
    • Fast Racing Neo
    • Project Zero
    • Gunman Clive Collection
    • Hyrule Warriors
    • Kirby & Rainbow Paintbrush
    • Zelda BotW, Wind Waker, & Twilight Princess
    • Mario Kart 8
    • Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
    • NES Remix 1 & 2
    • New Super Mario U & Luigi U
    • Paper Mario Color Splash
    • Pikmin 3
    • Splatoon
    • Starfox Guard & Zero
    • Super Mario 3D World
    • Super Mario Maker
    • Super Smash Bros.
    • Wonderful 101
    • Xenoblade Chronicles X
    • Yoshi's Woolly World
    • Zombi U

^^ Am I missing anything obvious there from Wii U must-have's? I know many of these have superior Switch ports now...but for a definitive Wii U list, is that about it?? There has to be some hidden gems I'm missing....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,986 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Well Nintendoland is a classic imo, terrific use of the gamepad. Me and the kids enjoyed Wii Party U when they were younger too. Chompy chomp chomp party, brainless couch multi multi player fun. (Think it's exclusive to Wii U)

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Lego City Undercover is a Wii U gem!

Tank tank tank. Pokken (switch port) Pushmo.

Shovel knight has an exclusive coop mode activated by amiibo

Tokyo mirage sessions although that's on switch now.

Rayman legends is best on wiiu

Have another entry in my long-running ‘order **** off CeX that I know ain’t getting delivered,’ and just noticed they were selling Dragon Quest 6 under market value and I pounced on it before I could recall who I was dealing with. This order is 100% getting cancelled by them at some stage today.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,016 ✭✭✭Doge

Windows 95 had special code just to fix a bug in the original SimCity

• Registered Users Posts: 10,986 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

That's art!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Except for the awful loading times. Great game though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement