Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electricity Costs for Business

Options
  • 08-08-2022 7:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

How much are business members paying for electricity per KwH?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

circa 45c at present per unit I have heard from some people. A UK business I know is paying over 50p. Utterly crazy. Iceland supermarkets told the stock market that the expect their electricity bill to be over £140m. That's up from less than £40m in 2020.

I'm fixed til Feb on just under 17c, but not on Gas and that has gone to 12.6c (was under 5c 2 years ago)

You literally have to check what use is essential and have everyone on board in switching off things when not needed

The guy in the UK just told me that his unit rate has gone up to 68.38p per unit

Ouch!

47c until 1st October............ then it'll be much more than just an "Ooch"!!!!!!!!. To add to the 'fire' long term forecasts ( for what they're worth) are predicting an especially cold/ hard Dec & Jan. I expect those WFH to be compensated ( to a degree) also

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭here2surf

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭purethick

My last bill (for June+July) from Bord Gais Energy was 8.95+11.52 = 20.47 c/kWh (this was in a contract)

I just got a letter from them offering a new fixed 12 month contract at 8.95 (variable) + 56.56 (fixed) = 65.51 c/kWh

They said if I didn't want to go into a new contract then I could go variable which is currently 38 c/kWh and is expected to go up to about 60 c/kWh next week.

They also said that if I was new customer to them, they would only offer me a fixed price of 78.50 c/kWh 😨

Their residential rate is due to increase to 44.21 c/kWh (ex-VAT) from 2 Oct 2022 https://www.bordgaisenergy.ie/home/our-tariffs/

I queried this discrepancy between commercial and residential and they just said that this is the way that it is 😕

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Jane98

I'm currently looking to change supplier for my business electricity and am amazed that none of the providers are disclosing business rates on their websites. Anyone know why this is?

I have had to input details on all the websites and ask for a call back. This is not exactly very consumer friendly when rates arent transparent.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Jane98

Thanks, I've just realised that standing charges and VAT account for 2/3rds of my bills. Scandalous!

That would suggest your bill is very low

Assuming you are vat registered, the vat is reclaimable.

As for "scandalous" standing charges, the infrastructure has to be paid for.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

What is the best way to shop around for the best electricity rate for a small business? Do you need to phone all providers? Thanks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement