Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Germany set to legalise cannabis - will the EU and Ireland eventually follow suit?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Relax brah

It may as well be tbh, it's everywhere and generally socially accepted. Legalisation in the US has really accelerated the education of the benefits cannabis can bring. In turn, much more people are smoking it and the quality has increased dramatically as we continue to learn about the benefits it brings.

Hopefully it's a matter of time before it's officially legalised. You will never see anyone smoking a spliff and starting a fight on Grafton street.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 snowguy

Cannabis was legalized in Canada a few years ago. I've never tried it before 2021 ( I am 50). I always have enjoyed my beers, stouts, ales, craft beers and the like.

I have found as I get older, drinking beer tends to make me go to the bathroom more often and I get a terrible sleep, and do not feel great the next day. I started dabbling with edibles ( chocolate - various kinds, dark, milk, white, drinks - cans, tea and a mix to add to water). All I can say about this is that my Friday routine is now, have 5mg of THC chocolate, a drop or 2 of THC oil so in total 7-8 mg. Put the dishwasher on, sit back and just get high.

It is sooo relaxing, and yes, I do walk to the store to get some gummy bears ( not all the time). Girl friend on one side, dog on the other. We just sit and totally relax for 1-2 hrs. The best part is that I/we get a great sleep that night. It helps me turn off my brain and relax, and no need to get up several times to go to the bathroom. Next day, feel great. No hangover and a fantastic sleep.

I think it was a non-event here to be honest, and given a choice I would rather have THC at home and relax than go out and have 4-5 beers.

Plus, it's so cheap. $7 for a 10mg chocolate bar !

Post edited by snowguy on

• Registered Users Posts: 14,093 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

That's my biggest fear, if I'm ever taken in for blood/urine, I'm off the road, no ifs, ands or buts, simply because it's in my system. Impairment doesn't matter at that stage. The Drager is an "indicator" and should be used with other methods to determine intoxication, but it's not. I know myself from using the Drager alcohol ones that if it comes back positive, 99% the person is under the influence, so it's really a case of if you fail that, you're going back to the station to definitely fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Why would the vintners fight it? I know lots of people who smoke weed including myself sometimes and it has zero effect on whether I go to the pub or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

The vintners and their pals lobbied to double the price of supermarket alcohol. They can **** off and then **** off some more when weed comes in, their opinion is irrelevant and unwanted.

• Advertisement

I just don't see how weed is in any way related to pubs

• Most people in the states still buy from dealers to avoid the crazy taxes. It’s just cheaper so they still do. In order for it to be successful the government would need to keep taxes reasonable and not so high as to send people to dealers anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

Was out flyfishing there the other evening and met two hiker's from Oregon and we got chatting. They seen me setting up my fly rod, as I was trying on the dropper,a bibio size 10 in fact. They started chatting with me, I took out my vape and blew a cloud in their opposite direction. Obviously as I wouldn't blow it in their face. Anyhow they said they can't believe the amount of vape shops in Ireland. And told me everyone smokes weed in Astoria there's dispensaries all over the place. Everyone is stoned and it's more relaxing there. A father and son, very much a laid back father and son. Which was nice to see, father was around 47 son maybe 26 . But they loved it here how rural and urban folks are so friendly.

Anyhow they told me that they smoke all different flavors, and by their weed in a place called Sweet Relief. I thought they were joking until I looked it up. And there it was.

I tried to smoke weed in the 90's when I lived in Cork, just made me jittery and I didn't like it.

I hope they enjoyed their vacation.

I've grown my own and smoked it now and again for a long time. I still love going to the pub as does anyone else I know that smokes reefer.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,482 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

so you think more people would just to get stoned at home instead of going to the pub if it was legal? they are totally different experiences, one is social the other isn't, I don't see why they'd affect each other.

Adcolutely. The last place I want to go when stoned is a crowded pub. Crap music, loud noise, mainstream tv or sky sports **** news and I'll have to get up and go home at some point.

I'm not saying peope will stop going but if they go to the pub three times a week then it'll be replaced by once a week and twice staying in with joints.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Mav11

AFAIK a product cannot be legalised in one EU state and remain illegal in others?

Not true - you can buy the stuff over the counter in the Netherlands. And all drugs are decriminalised in Portugal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭macraignil

I don't think so. There have been different rules about cannabis in different EU countries for some time. Just looking at the Wikipedia page on this topic gives these details on recreational use:

Austria: Possession for personal use decriminalized as of January 2016

Belgium: Decriminalized up to 3 g or cultivation of one plant

Czech Republic: Decriminalized up to 10 g or cultivation of 5 plants

Estonia: Decriminalised

Italy: Possession decriminalized; home cultivation legal in small amounts for personal use.

Luxembourg: Decriminalised

Malta: Legal for possession, consumption, and cultivation. Distribution is allowed through non-profit cannabis clubs.

Netherlands: Consumption and sale are tolerated in licensed coffeeshops. Possession of up to 5 g is decriminalized. Cultivation of up to 5 plants is unenforced for non-commercial use (unless grown in a professional setup).

Portugal: Decriminalized up to 25 g of herb or 5 g of hashish

Slovenia: Decriminalised

Spain: Decriminalized. Use and possession in private areas allowed for own consumption. Public possession or consumption can result in a fine. Cultivation for personal use allowed in private areas including Cannabis Social Clubs

There is also mention of a few EU member states where it is still illegal but not enforced in small amounts or more often dealt with by on the spot fines rather than prosecution like Finland, France, Germany and Poland. I know the wikipedia page says about the Portugal system having it just decriminalised but last time I was on holiday in the south of the country there was a well stocked shop selling cannabis containing products across the road from the hotel we stayed in. Saw a program on TV about the Portugal experience with decriminalisation and it said they had experienced a drop in crime after the legislation came into force there and I think there have been positive results in many other places as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Doesn't matter too much what actually happens, it's what the vintners think will happen. If they think people are going to pick staying at home getting stoned instead of going to the pub then they'll lobby against it. Don't forget there's still a lot of people out there that think that cannabis is on a par with opiates while alcohol is good, wholesome fun for the whole family.

Maybe they don't care if it's legalized but I'd assume they're actively against it.

OK. Thanks for that. I wasn't sure hence the question mark.

You might want to get your keyboard looked at it, seems that CAPS lock is sticking at times.

The only place that seems to have fully legalised is Malta, I wonder are there any restrictions in place.

I remember a suggestion a few years ago that cigarettes would be banned only for the government to respond that we couldn't do it, on the basis that a product could not be banned or deemed to be illegal in one state and not in others.

*Edit: Indeed there are restrictions in Malta an individual could be "done" for possession if proven that it was not solely for personal use!

As far as I know while tolerated in the Netherlands, not strictly legal and decriminalisation does not mean legalisation?

But I might be wrong!!

Licensed sellers can sell it, but its illegal to do without. There are coffee shops (effecrtively bars) where you can buy and smoke in the pub (just no tobacco). Personal use is fine.

Portugal - decriminalised, meaning they can confiscate (and possibly order you to the therapy, not sure) but you won't get a criminal record.

Point is - different countries in the EU can make up their own laws.

• Advertisement

Many drugs are illegal here unless sold by a licensed seller i.e. prescribed by a doctor and sold by a licensed pharmacy.

My view is that all drug use should be decriminalised (not legalised) and treated as a health matter, not a criminal justice matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

There are coffee shops (effecrtively bars) where you can buy and smoke in the pub (just no tobacco).

Disappointingly very few coffeeshops actually enforce this rule

This is why they're called "controlled substances" - but there's a difference between prescribed medicaation and recreational drugs when it comes to useage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭macraignil

There does seem to be a bit of confusing details on the whole legal/decriminalised situation. I had heard of the decriminalisation in Portugal so it was very surprising to then see a shop openly selling cannabis products to the public when on holiday there. The situation in the Netherlands also had talk of only residents being allowed buy cannabis in the already licensed shops. The most recent thing I heard about that from someone living there was that this was just being ignored I suppose in the same way that it is technically still illegal there even though there are licensed places to sell it.

Some EU wide ruling about cannabis would be the most likely way it would be legalised here I think as there is a conservative tendency in all of the bigger political parties here. It does not mater to the politicians that there are so many other EU countries where it has been decriminalised with positive results as they will fear a backlash at the ballot box since there has been some negative media about cannabis on the national broadcaster here fairly regularly. The most recent details I remember being some statement from some medical professional's group about it being linked with mental illness but other discusions I read about this in the past highlighted that these links could be down to those with mental health issues self medicating. RTE coverage as usual was very much in favour of the continuation of the current legal situation here and it would be a brave politician to go against what the national broadcaster is telling people that still listen to them.

Not that much of a difference at times if you think about it. Cannabis and other drugs can fall into either camp of either being for recreation or medication.

Licensed sellers can sell it, but its illegal to do without

My point is that because it has to be sold by a licensed seller in the Netherlands does not make it unique or legal.

Some EU wide ruling about cannabis would be the most likely way it would be legalised here

I think you've hit the nail on the head with the above. In the absence of an EU initiative various EU states will have to employ various legal tricks or work arounds. An individual EU state cannot go on a solo run regarding legalisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 snowguy

I've never smoked it, but from what I hear, when you smoke it, it hits you much faster. You get high, then it wears off fairly fast too. With edibles, it's a bit like having a pint on an empty stomach versus after you eat. I have some chocolate on a fairly empty stomach, then will eat about 30 mins later. The affect/ effect kicks in about 45 -60 mins after you eat it. 5-7mg's, and I am high for 2-3 hours, with a gradual come down. Whereas if you eat first, then take some edibles. It can take much longer to get any sort of effect. Plus it might be less high,and spread out over a longer period.

At the cannabis stores, they will tell you all you need to know if you ask them. Liquids/ oils will get into your system a little faster, and the edibles take a little longer. They will tell you that probably not a good idea to have a beer, just in case your system gets upset. All I ever have is 1 beer, and I'm fine. I really want to avoid drinking too much as again, I'm up at night going to the bathroom.

I did not realize that the vintners still have so much power. Did not tons of pubs close over the years? Anyways, from what I see and experience, alcohol does a lot more damage than cannabis. Ranging from fights, violence, to family issues.

They are both drugs,and can be issues if they are abused. It's a day off here, so last night I took some oil before I ate. Feeling great today and had a great sleep.

If the end result is to have it available for sale, then yes they can. Also, it's legal in Malta and legal for medicinal purposes in Croatia and Slovenia.

Again, the fact that it's legal, legal for medicinal use, illegal and decriminalised in various different EU countries proves that they can set their own laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

It's the mix of both. Slowly but surely waning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Relax brah

Second this.

I only started smoking weed during lockdown, I rarely drink at all now. Even at social occasions, I’ll opt for Guinness 0:0 - honestly I don’t know what the big bad issue with cannabis is.

Advertisement