Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roundabout query

• 30-09-2022 3:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

Query.

If you are approaching a roundabout that has a two lane approach and you are taking the 3rd exit that is at the 2pm position on the clock analogy, but effectively you are staying on the same route / road, is the the left lane you use entering the roundabout because you are staying on the same road.

Exit one (8pm clock face) is into an industrial estate, exit two (11pm clock face) into a private area, exit 3 (continuation of main road - 2pm clock face) and there's a 4th exit into housing an it is at about 4pm clockface.

So if you are continuing on the main road and this is the 3rd exit at 2pm, it is the left lane you use?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Right hand lane once you're going past 12 o'clock as far as I'm aware

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭kirving

Do you have a link to the location?

The left/right split after 12 o'clock is not always correct, particularly in cases where Exit 2 is actually a rarely used area, and the main road continues at 2 o'clock.

I would think left lane is normal here, but it depends.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭In the wind

THere should be arrows painted on the road surface in both lanes as you approach the roundabout. Those answers will answer your question definitively.

Google maps snapshot of the roundabout?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

no arrows.

High roadside signage on approach shows the town name and the exit past the 2pm position

I don't want to give location yet so that I see what the general consensus is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Sounds like a right laner to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

Right lane.

The Golden rule - Right lane if after 12 o clock.

Its also the third exit so that would also indicate the right lane.

The only reason it could be the left lane is if there were also TWO lanes on the exit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭akelly02

what for argument sake if:

exit 1 is in the 11pm location

exit 2 is in the 2pm location

only 2 exits

am i right in using the right lane for the 2nd exit?

my mrs and i had a row over this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Right lane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Nope.

And also, it must have a third exit, which is the one you are approaching on. If you intended to do a 360 and leave by the way you approached, then the right lane would be correct to use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

As the OP has said, there is a Road sign as you approach the R/about which shows the 3rd exit at 2 0'clock. That is the main indicator for which lane to use.....unless there are Arrows on the approach Road (which apparently there aren't in this case).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

An example like this is crossing the Celbridge interchange on the M4 if you're travelling South from Leixlip (Intel) and heading towards Celbridge - so staying on the R449.

Most drivers approach the interchange/yield in the right lane then switch to the left lane before entering the interchange. They then pass by two exits before their own exit.

I've also seen drivers heading for the M4W enter the interchange in the left lane and pass three exits before exiting themselves. I often wonder if they were aware they almost caused a collision.

No arrows on the road and most drivers being too thick to know how to navigate it correctly.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/3fy2hRVc6LUfmnu78

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Should be arrows on the sign also showing either straight on (left lane) or right

That's a Northern Ireland Highway Code Drawing. There's plenty of RSA stuff concerning Roundabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭sameoldname

Yep, left lane for any exit before 12 o'clock and right lane for anything after. The amount of exits doesn't matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

This is the roundabout - it is on the approach to Newbridge from Naas. Exit 1 is into the industrial area (Lidl, Monster drinks, Murphy construction & new Penneys warehouse - it will also be the road for accessing the great connell road soon and also at some point linking to Liffey hall & the green road on the southern side of Newbridge - so soon will be a VERY busy road)

Exit two is into a new biodiversity site and visitors car park for Lidl.

Exit 3 is to Newbridge

Exit 4 is into a small group of older houses.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.1949694,-6.7632765,3a,75y,202.03h,78.9t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s6JdnWDBmwR2zuhhOpkVYGA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

I actually took the right lane and was pulled over by a garda and he issued a ticket for driving without consideration becasue he said that when the road is continuing you always use the left lane. I'm driving 35 years, have advanced driving certificate, over 2m km under my belt and zero accidents - I never heard such sh1te and challenged him.

He was silent and then decided to issue a ticket for driving without consideration (my speed was under 50km, he undertook me to get to the roundabout first and then slowed to a crawl with his lights on forcing me to stop

I've only used that roundabout about 3 times. I use a similar one in Clonmel going towards Cahir far more often and never known any car to use the left lane down there.

I look forward to the summons as even the RSA have said that its the right lane and they never heard of a rule that the garda claims

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭standardg60

That's a clear right laner for me, with right indication.

It's near enough a 90 degree turn

That's correct. We also have our own ROTR down here, so why not use an illustration from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Fieldsman

Walter Just get him (garda) into court and you'll beat him and leave red-faced I've no doubt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭Speak Now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭Allinall

If the guard was able to pass you on the left, then I would say you should have been in the left lane.

Keep left and all that.

There is no reason not to take the left lane going into the roundabout.

Having said that, for the guard to charge you with anything is way over the top.

I would be arguing it in court.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭jaffa20

I know that roundabout and always use the right hand lane for going towards Newbridge. Always see loads of others using the left lane though so need to be careful when exiting the roundabout as it becomes a single lane.

I've checked out the design drawings on the Kildare CC website and they have clear arrows on the proposed road markings.

Left lane with left arrows, right lane with straight arrows.

The Garda was a complete pr1,ck

I travel through this roundabout twice daily and 90% of drivers use it incorrectly and have done since the day it opened. I even saw a driving instructor use the left lane to take the 3 o'clock exit so I'm not entirely surprised to hear that a guard doesn't know how to use it either. It does however have the upside of allowing a lot of overtaking opportunities as everyone is jammed in the wrong lane leaving the correct one empty.

What gets me about it is that there is absolutely nothing unique about this roundabout that explains why the people of Naas and Newbridge feel the need to treat this roundabout different to all others but I'm very much aware that most Irish drivers are very monkey see, monkey do, no matter how stupid or dangerous it is.

It's also annoying that they originally had the arrow markers correctly painted on the approach but they removed them for some unknown reason. You can still make them out here just before the surface changes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

On streetview you can even make out the arrows showing left lane is for left.

The road markings still weren't correct, the left lane should have had the straight arrow and left turn, right lane right only.

Not the first time I've seen council road markings arseways on a roundabout.

Even the car the streetview car is following in above link does it wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Rsa site and a few driving instructor videos I've watched there say 12 o clock rule let us know how it goes in court, actually wonder can you ring the station get it cancelled before then.

I'd be more concerned about the gard altering the story and not focusing on the roundabout, make it more about dangerous lane changes or something....who can prove what? A judge will take gards word. No dash cam by any chance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

It makes no difference who made the diagram once it is correct

Unfortunately not - but do now.

I would hope my driving experience of 37 years without any incident, zero points and a certificate in advanced driving from a UK company will help :)

I also took a note of all details immediately after the garda left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

If you're approaching that roundabout to take that exit, you'd need to be indicating right. Why would you be in the left lane if you're indicating right?

You're thinking about it too much. Just do whatever you feel like at that moment. Also, and this part is crucial, be completely oblivious to everything else going on around you. Bonus points if you give somebody doing it correctly a dirty look, it's unIrish to be doing such things.

• Especially when the RSA’s is a bit.. rubbish by comparison.

In any case, it’s a bit of a strange thing to fixate on!

There'll always be at least one who'll attempt to shoehorn a bit of anti British sentiment into any conversation.

Roundabout use is definitely a first for me though😁

• Advertisement

• The funniest part is it’s northern irish Highway Code. 😅

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,889 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Same roundabout 2019 The right hand lane straight-on arrow is to continue on the R445, the right arrow is local access.

But the roundabout was being changed and arrows removed.

As I see it ;

Exit 1 business park;(8 o'clock) from left lane

If exit 2 (11 o'clock ) if open now, also from left lane

Exit 3 (1 o'clock) continue on R445 from right lane

exit 4 ( 4 o'clock) local access would be right hand lane also.

If exit 2 is not yet open then R445 would be from left lane.

Arrows on the road here would confuse.

Edited, map rotated so OP is now entering roundabout at 6 o'clock and exiting at 1 o'clock

Post edited by chooseusername on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭beachhead

If there are no road marking indicating the direction of travel then follow the Rules of the Road.sameoldname covers the regs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭JMcL

I would tend to agree about using the right lane in this scenario, however I do remember coming across an article somewhere that should be considered authoritive possibly the RSA but can't remember remember exactly, that referred to the exit number you were taking, so for 1st and 2nd exists - no mention of angle, stay left, otherwise take the right. Since I can't turn up any corroboration for this, and it doesn't take any account of something like the Walkinstown roundabout (there's nothing evident on the RSA website which is ironic given the widespread ignorance among Irish drivers about even rudimentary roundabout usage - not a dig at the OP!) , I'd say the 12 o'clock rule is the better bet.

The guard was a dick IMHO, and probably changed his tune so he could make something more nebulous and subjective stick, when the OP had the "hatitude" to challenge his almighty wisdom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭cml387

The comparison with the Cahir Rod roundabout in Clonmel is that the lanes are marked. Right lane for Cahir, left lane back into Clonmel

https://goo.gl/maps/qP779rBNFcoW9Uiz8

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭beachhead

The Walkinstown roundabout is good practice for any driver once you survive the first circuit.Great craic.

Thanks for the image.

It was in court in December, I pleaded not guilty but because the garda was not there it is pushed out to May

Ridiculous system.

• Yeah they prob won’t be there in may either.. that’s a new change to the way it works though before any garda could give evidence but they recently changed it so the prosecuting garda has to give evidence. (I think it was brought in last year) absolutely stupid.

I have dashcam of one of his armed response colleagues using the right lane. Sort of funny.

I wonder who'd win that argument. 😀

What's ridiculous is you're even in court op.

Hope you've a good solicitor ready to tear this idiot to pieces, if he even shows up, which is doubtful.

• You wouldn’t need a solicitor. I was done for using an escooter and the judge laughed the garda out of court for me

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

That's ridiculous they didn't throw the book at you for using such dangerous uninsured untaxed vehicle all because they haven't quite got round to passing the 2021 Road Traffic and Roads Bill

• im sure they’ll get to it eventually. It’s only been two years sure…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

He was silent and then decided to issue a ticket for driving without consideration (my speed was under 50km, he undertook me to get to the roundabout first and then slowed to a crawl with his lights on forcing me to stop

Would seem to indicate he wasn't happy with your approach to the RaB as he wouldn't have known which exit you were using as you hadn't got to the RaB yet ( or am I reading it wrong? )

Perhaps you pulled into right lane at less than the 60KPH limit and that upset them more.

• Advertisement
Advertisement