Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

Not going to happen, hopefully this will all blow over. Im confident that they'll come to some agreement.

All I can see on the ship tracker is LPG/OIL Tanker's, Bulk Carrier's and passenger ship's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Putin couldn't care less about the number of soldiers he loses he has plenty he can send in and it doesn't seem the military men below him have any notions of toppling him . I don't know how this will end but it's looking like a lot of war still in this and just can't see Putin retreating .

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

What kinda agreement do you think will stop all of this .

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

(screenshot)

The Consulate General of Russia in New York today

Couldn't happen to a more deserving consulate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭Homelander

I find the whole situation baffling. Some people are still saying he'd never use even a tactical nuclear weapon but he's backed himself into an absolute corner now.

If he'd withdrawn Russian forces earlier and fed the country a big spoon of propaganda, like the special operation to "liberate" couldn't win because the might of NATO and the US were behind Ukraine, and he had to prioritize Russian lives, he'd at least hold onto power even though his personal legacy would be ruined.

By continuously escalating he's left himself very little options. I don't know how we could say he'd never use a tactical nuke when the man's just signed a decree annexing territories which are not only unstable, but in which Ukraine is making active inroads and only getting stronger.

To the Russian spectator who buys into the new glorious greater Russia, Ukraine will now be conquering Russia itself. Putin knows this, of course.

So he's either totally naive as to how well his army can hold the line indefinitely against a Ukraine that'll only get stronger as the Russian army and economy gets utterly ravaged, or he's ready to take the ultimate gamble and escalate even further.

It's hard to believe it's the first one. Equally it's hard to see how he could think the second option would bring anything other than the absolute destruction of Russia, literally on the battlefield, and in the wider sense in terms of the countrys economy and international standing.

It is baffling. It's impossible to know what his playbook is at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

I don't know, but I'm sure those guys on both sides need to sit down and have a talk about it.

I haven't seen any side suggest a get together somewhere neutral and put principles before personalities.

For Christ sake we don't need an all out war between east and west over a piece of land.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Private Joker

In that case, i'll ring the Orc embassy on Monday and offer them Ireland in exchange for getting out of Ukraine 2012.

UN security council meeting on the pipeline sabotage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭rogber

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭zv2

Russia are hemorrhaging troops. About 2 or 3 thousand a week and their economy can't stand up much longer. The west should increase support and at least hold the lines. Russia will collapse.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Odd would make easy target practice. I thought bombers delivering Nukes was obsolete due to current missile tech. Brits retired theirs in favour of cruise was it not. I know the USA still have them but thats legacy I think and more lightly to be used for carpet bombing or MOAB ? If I think outside the box maybe they could fill them with dirty bombs for when there shot down ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭zv2

It is not about a piece of land. If the west backs down tyrants everywhere will be emboldened. Democracy will be shattered and we will have surrendered to the bully out of cowardice. No surrender.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

It's just the same love of military parades that was the hallmark of the Soviet Union.

Did you read a translation of his speech, it was packed with the same bolloxology that you would hear in a Marxist student Union.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,714 ✭✭✭✭briany

@bad2thebone

For Christ sake we don't need an all out war between east and west over a piece of land.

Tell that to Putin. He's the one introducing the idea of deploying nuclear weapons to defend lands that Russia unilaterally recognises as its own territory. If Putin finds that the nuclear threat works, then there's nothing to stop him using it again and again. It's not like fear of nuclear armageddon goes up and down with the stock market - it'll be pretty consistent and so could be relied upon as a future bargaining chip.

There's a rational argument to say that no piece of land is worth the kind of hell that could be unleashed if Russia and NATO had an all out confrontation, but this argument infers that Putin could demand to become world king tomorrow and the world would have to allow it or else become an irradiated wasteland where anyone left alive will surely envy the dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,865 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

A piece of land!!!!! Really is that all the sovereignty of an independent country is to you

Russia at the UN just blamed the massacre on their territory in Zaporizhzhia on the Ukrainans

• Registered Users Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭storker

"I agree to fúck off out of Ukraine and never come back. And by the way, those areas are Ukrainian - I was only messing.

Lots of love,

Vladdykins"

The death toll after the Russian strike on a convoy in Zaporizhia has risen to 30, and the victims are 88, — National Police

Among the dead are two children: an 11-year-old girl and a 14-year-old boy. A three-year-old girl was also injured.

....just a bit of land, no other issues of any importance.

• Advertisement

Shocking...

But according to the Russians it happens on their territory and the attack was carried out by Ukraine

• Registered Users Posts: 9,009 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

It’s all totally nuts.

I think one key thing about his speech today is that Putin hardly mentioned Ukraine at all, but kept talking about the US and the West. His framing is that Russia may be fighting in “the area previously known as Ukraine”, but they are not fighting Ukraine itself - they’re fighting the US, NATO, the EU, the West. This reduces the embarrassment of losing “Russian land” to their relatively tiny neighbour that isn’t even supposed to exist. I don’t think this is him setting the stage for an excusable defeat by a formidable foe, but it is allowing him to justify any action domestically as his supporters will recognise that how ever might they think Russia is, the enemy NATO is not to be underestimated.

He’s framing the war not as the land-grab it really is, but as an ideological last stand against what he actually started to describe in the speech as Satanism. By unspoken contrast, that puts him on the literal side of God. In Christian belief, God ultimately can’t lose, but any and every sacrifice is required to be on the side of victory. He’s softening Russia up more and more sacrifices.

It’s noteworthy that the tone of the speech and document signing ceremony was not one of victory and hope, which one would usually expect from a country fulfilling what it sees as its destiny in regaining its territorial integrity. Rather it was an exceptionally defensive, somber, paranoid affair, concentrating entirely on the danger of powerful enemies. Truly unprecedented and unbelievable stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

A few nice scones might cheer everyone up.

I've just read that the fatalities from the civilian convoy that was HIT BY MISSILES have increased.

Your harmless musings are pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,426 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

They aren't just fighting over a piece of land.

Russia are slaughtering civilians, trying to overturn the international order and revert to the rule of might is right, with a playbook copied from the Nazis in Sudetenland.

Your posts are nothing more than morally and intellectually bankrupt exercises in weasel words, in a blatant attempt to draw some sort of 'both sides' moral equivalence between Ukraine and Russia.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭rogber

Very astute analysis. It wasn't quite as insane and desperate as Goebbels "total war" speech, but not that far off it. The words of a man truly unhinged...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Tens of trillions of dollars of natural resources in the land he has stolen. Is army isn’t up to it so he has to threaten nukes to hold it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,432 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Descendants in whatever becomes of Russia will look back at this photo and wonder "How the fcuk did they ever allow this plastic faced dwarf become dictator of Russia?"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭storker

And his army isn't up to it because his country is corrupt from top to bottom just like him. He set the standard for everyone else to follow. As ye sow, so shall ye reap, etc...

• Advertisement

But yet he still has the ability to kill civilians unopposed in Ukraine,

He can keep this up for years

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement