Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda recruitment - mental health issues

Options
  • 17-05-2017 8:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know if a history of mental health issues would rule you out when applying to join the Gardaí?

On paper I'm an ideal candidate in every other area, meeting/exceeding all requirements. However I went through a bad phase with my mental health a couple of years back. The issues have all been addressed and treated, and I've been completely stable since then. I know my psychiatrist would be happy to write a letter in support of my application. I have no intentions of minimising or hiding the problems (after all, I'm sure it would be found out as part of whatever background checks they do.) If I am totally open and honest about it, and can prove that I've been doing well since then and that my psychiatrist believes I'm well enough for a career in the Gardaí, would I have any chance of getting through?

I'd very much appreciate any opinions or personal experience with this. Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭RWC15champions

Does anyone know if a history of mental health issues would rule you out when applying to join the Gardaí?

On paper I'm an ideal candidate in every other area, meeting/exceeding all requirements. However I went through a bad phase with my mental health a couple of years back. The issues have all been addressed and treated, and I've been completely stable since then. I know my psychiatrist would be happy to write a letter in support of my application. I have no intentions of minimising or hiding the problems (after all, I'm sure it would be found out as part of whatever background checks they do.) If I am totally open and honest about it, and can prove that I've been doing well since then and that my psychiatrist believes I'm well enough for a career in the Gardaí, would I have any chance of getting through?

I'd very much appreciate any opinions or personal experience with this. Thank you.

I'm not familiar with their recruitment process so I can't offer any advice on that unfortunately.
    However, I'm glad you have addressed your issues and are now in a position to pursue such a challenging career.
    In an ideal world, I would love to think that the public sector would take a leading role in these situations and show the way for the private sector that these conditions can be treated and people can still contribute in a positive way to the workforce.
    Anyway, no advice but best of luck OP and I hope you're successful if you follow through with the application.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

It would be depending on the doctor in AGS if they deem you fit. I don't think anyone here can answer, here is a thread in the ES regards retained FF service and a guy asking a similar question

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057712701

If you wanted to touch base with him to hear about how he approached it etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Why would you even bother telling them if you are fully recovered now? If you tell them, you are leaving yourself open to being discriminated against. If you don't tell them, you eliminate the possibility of discrimination, and you remain fully recovered from your past health problem. Win win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭MrBlack93

Why would you even bother telling them if you are fully recovered now? If you tell them, you are leaving yourself open to being discriminated against. If you don't tell them, you eliminate the possibility of discrimination, and you remain fully recovered from your past health problem. Win win.

WTF You're seriously encouraging someone to gain entry into a national police service by deception? Have you any common sense whatsoever?

Hi,

Yeah during the medical for joining An Garda Siochanna you have to fill out a medical self declaration form which asks about your your general health and mental health etc they will also contact your GP and you will have to provide your GPs contact details.

All is not lost though, this issue has arisen before in the recruitment board and I believe the general policy is as follows; No issues within the last 5 years and you must be signed off by your psychologist.

It would be no harm to give the Garda human resources department a call/email and they'll give you a better answer.

Hope that helps.

• Advertisement

MrBlack93 wrote: »
    WTF You're seriously encouraging someone to gain entry into a national police service by deception? Have you any common sense whatsoever?
    WTF. You're seriously comparing the non-disclosure of medical history to deception? Have you any common sense whatsoever?

Should a person who broke their arm as a child have to reveal that?
    Should a person who had the flu a few years ago have to reveal that?
    Should a person who slipped on some ice and banged their head recently have to reveal that?

Why should a person who suffered some metal health problems in the past but is now fully recovered have to reveal that?

WTF. You're seriously comparing the non-disclosure of medical history to deception? Have you any common sense whatsoever?

Should a person who broke their arm as a child have to reveal that?
    Should a person who had the flu a few years ago have to reveal that?
    Should a person who slipped on some ice and banged their head recently have to reveal that?

Why should a person who suffered some metal health problems in the past but is now fully recovered have to reveal that?

You're so unbelievably childishly naive!

An Garda Síochanna have an exemption to the employment equality acts, and for good reason!

Thus in this case non-disclosure is deception (duh).

Becoming a member of An Garda Siochanna isn't like getting a job working in your local supermarket. It's a national police service who's duty is to protect both the state and its citizens.

You clearly either have zero appreciation or no understanding about what serving members see and deals with on a daily basis or the stress which members are put under whilst carrying out their duties

I think that it's complete nativity that you don't realise the potential repercussions of such an omission.

An Garda Síochanna have an exemption to the employment equality acts, and for good reason!

Becoming a member of An Garda Siochanna isn't like getting a job working in your local supermarket. It's a national police service who's duty is to protect both the state and its citizens.

You clearly either have zero appreciation or no understanding about what serving members see and deals with on a daily basis or the stress which members are put under whilst carrying out their duties

I think that it's complete nativity that you don't realise the potential repercussions of such an omission.
    Yet you can't answer the simple questions asked?

The only naivety here is that you think mental health is some kind of disease without any cure. That kind of ignorance is kind of scary, but not uncommon considering the continuing stigma of mental health in society. Mental health is a broad spectrum, which composes of varying different kinds and degrees of illness, most of which can be treated, and cured. Which is the stated situation of the OP.

What has any of this got to do with the OP as opposed to any other applicant? Please do explain.

Yet you can't answer the simple questions asked?

The only naivety here is that you think mental health is some kind of disease without any cure. That kind of ignorance is kind of scary, but not uncommon considering the continuing stigma of mental health in society. Mental health is a broad spectrum, which composes of varying different kinds and degrees of illness, most of which can be treated, and cured. Which is the stated situation of the OP.

Here we go, you're trying to prop up your poor argument by virtue signalling and accusing me of possessing some sort of prejudice/ignorance against the mentally ill. Always the easy way out of a tight corner but those types of arguments rarely stand up to scrutiny.

I never once claimed that I was ignorant or that I believed that mental health issue were incurable as you've implied;

I refer you to post No.6 where I clearly outline to the OP the correct channels which are used by AGS in determining a persons eligibility to serve.

• Advertisement

Here we go, you're trying to prop up your poor argument by virtue signalling and accusing me of possessing some sort of prejudice/ignorance against the mentally ill. Always the easy way out of a tight corner but those types of arguments rarely stand up to scrutiny.

I never once claimed that I was ignorant or that I believed that mental health issue were incurable as you've implied;

I refer you to post No.6 where I clearly outline to the OP the correct channels which are used by AGS in determining a persons eligibility to serve.
    You're certainly implying the Guards possess some sort of prejudice/ignorance against people with previous mental health problems. And you don't seem to have any problem with that policy.

I refer you to post 1, where the person states how they were treated and are now recovered.

You're certainly implying the Guards possess some sort of prejudice/ignorance against people with previous mental health problems. And you don't seem to have any problem with that policy.

I refer you to post 1, where the person states how they were treated and are now recovered.

Policing a nation isn't a game and requires a certain person, personality and a strong level of mental resilience. AGS will assess each persons case on it's own merits and determine whether someone is mentally capable of doing the job and I trust in their assessment.

The OP never elaborated upon their own mental illness and thus I wont be so rude as to speculate as you have done.

The fact is that serving members of An Garda Siochanna have an incomparable level of stress placed on them on a daily basis and the responsibilities which they are given require them to act without hesitation in order to save lives.

I direct you to look at the statistics regarding the recurrence of mental illness episodes throughout ones life.

The OP never elaborated upon their own mental illness and thus I wont be so rude as to speculate as you have done.
    Speculate? You've essentially stated that they are engaging in deception if they do not disclose their history of mental illness, regardless of the type of illness, the seriousness of the illness, and whether or not they are now fully recovered.
    I direct you to look at the statistics regarding the recurrence of mental illness episodes throughout ones life.
    That is not how statistics should be used and it's worrying that you think it's a justification for discrimination.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi there,
    I can relate to your issue and and am also curious. Have you received anymore information?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Crouchy92

Hi there,
    I’m kinda in the same boat so considering waiting a few years before applying. Have you received anymore information since?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 14 TheGreenOne

Hi Maglie-ubre,

I normally tend to quietly lurk on here, but stumbled across your tread.
    I am Irish and I am a police officer abroad. I was never a Garda.

Please do not lie on your application, if you are found to be lying (even if it seems minor) it will severely effect your chances of becoming a police officer.

In a lot of police forces, mental illness is treated on a case by case basis. You will need to be completely clear of any issues, medication etc for a certain number of years. Plus you will need to given the all clear by a psychologist.

I would recommend contacting recruitment directly and ask them for the details on what you need to do.

Best of luck with your application :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭qwerty13

Speculate? You've essentially stated that they are engaging in deception if they do not disclose their history of mental illness, regardless of the type of illness, the seriousness of the illness, and whether or not they are now fully recovered.
    That is not how statistics should be used and it's worrying that you think it's a justification for discrimination.

The role of Gardaí is a serious one, with stress that automatically goes with it. They encounter and see things that would probably traumatise the rest of us for years.

I hate discrimination against people who’ve had mental health issues, but I think it’s terribly naive, and just plain wrong, to suggest hiding such history if going for a role in the Gardaí. Of all jobs.

It could lead to exacerbated issues for the person themselves, and inability to cope in a highly stressful/already traumatic situation. That’s not fair ok the person themselves - or on the public who the Gardaí are supposed to protect.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Brinimartini

Keep your own business to yourself, trust me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭qwerty13

@Brinimartini

Do you genuinely believe that someone who may have deal with very stressful situations ie extreme confrontation / death / murder, should not disclose any mental health issues? Really?

This isn’t a call centre job we’re talking about. It’s a job that involves unknown stress, which may turn out to be violent and/or life threatening for the Garda him/her self, or the public. And you’re suggesting to hide any form of mental illness. Right so 😳

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Heya
    If you have a history of mental health related issues like I do I was told that an garda siochana is not a good place to work.

Based on recent stats. 10 gardai die by suicide each year and not because the job is delightful it's because the stress is rediculous

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Heya
    If you have a history of mental health related issues like I do I was told that an garda siochana is not a good place to work.

Based on recent stats. 10 gardai die by suicide each year and not because the job is delightful it's because the stress is rediculous

Well the figures I see is 13 over the three years as of May this year, which is already bad enough.

But that said, I would not imagine that any branch of the security or emergency services would be a great place to start out in if you have a fragile disposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

You are posting anonymously.

Can you state what the mental health issue was?

There's a huge difference between depression and psychosis, etc.

I think if we knew this we could give better advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

Its best to disclose the challenges you had in broad way, then if they ask you can go into detail. Just because you had some challenges in the past, does not mean you are totally unsuitable for every role. Assuming for example that it was depression and how severe it was, they may not want you driving or approve you to become and armed member in the future, however you could be suitable as a liaison officer for abuse victims or similar as you may have a level of understanding and empathy to support a member of the public being you faced challenges, or you could be a control room operator/dispatcher if you have good organizational and logistical skills.

It may not work out depending on what challenges you have had, but go into it honestly and show how you have overcome that challenge and how you can use what you learned to bring something to the force that others may not have. Sometimes negative experiences can lead to positive futures. Good luck with your application.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

As long as your no considered medically mentally and physically fit, it should be of no issue. Garda will do their checks. It may even stand to you in terms of how you overcame your own challenges and set yourself right.

Would give your a first hand understanding of the issues some people suffer from which may come in handy when dealing with the public

Old document but has some details that may help.

https://www.garda.ie/en/about-us/our-departments/office-of-corporate-communications/news-media/garda-trainee-2019-notes-for-applicants.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 4 watch your six

I'm guessing it comes down to a case by case situ.

I'm coming from a nervous breakdown and 15yrs of unemployment due to mental health an just sheer laziness of not being able go out an get any old job. I live with mental health everyday I try manage it best I can but I dont like eatin in public feel un welcome by staff and get nasty looks feel disconnect with reality at times due to feelin like an outcast an tweaked my life with certain things in certain situations. Yet with all of this I feel I would thrive as guard and have very good street swag an can read people quite well imo the more cayoss things are around me the more comfortable I am its wen things get quite an intimate where people want to get close to u an know u is where I have issues but as for the job it be peice a piss. I'm 32 now I'm an educated lad with a leaving cert and honors degree I also compete in CW championship in which I'm 3 times mixed martial arts world champion. I'm a reserve member an I also work in community organisations an charity's and have life experiences. Now ymtell me I'm not a suitable candidate bcos I know I'm suitable.

Just believe in yourself an lie lie lie and more lies beg borrow an steal your way into your career an again believe in yourself an u will already have this job. We I this together now go get.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭JKerova1

I heard when I was in Templemore a certain drill sergeant shouting at student Gardai 'if you have depression or 'anxiety' you should not be in this job. Guards are too busy dealing with the problems of the public, they don't have time to be dealing with the problems of windbag colleagues'.

Also overheard an instructor in Templemore saying that anxiety was not a real condition and was something that was 'made up by civil servants to get time off work'.

Do not go into the Guards if you have mental health issues. Just don't.

Post edited by JKerova1 on

No one is going to base a decision about their future on some second hand BS that some random individual on the internet might or might not have heard from some twat down the pub.

Don't post such BS, it says more about your maturity than anything else.

It's not BS. I was there. I was in the Gardai and left. I experienced it at first hand.

I'm trying to help someone avoid making the same mistakes I did.

You're the one with the attitude problem. You obviously don't have much of a life either if you have over 7,800 posts on boards.ie

Post edited by JKerova1 on

No you were not there according to your last post: "I heard when I was in Templemore". Just hearsay and very likely from a disgruntled employee for all we know. Giving advice based on rumours is not very helpful.

• Advertisement

Yeah I heard it because I was there. It was screamed in my face by a drill sergeant in Templemore. What makes you think I'd make it up, to make new friends in internet land? I have hardly spoken of it, only reason I mention it is to prevent people from making the same mistakes I did and join the gardai with mental health issues.

Advertisement