Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Juventu4

Another Leinster game with a late change, Kelleher replaced with McKee. Does this happen other teams often or is it just to common with Leinster from my pov. Is their something wrong with S&C that guys are pulling out in the warm-up?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Lol at the water break in Belfast :) Teaming down!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,424 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

So why isn't Henshaw in the changing room after his shoulder to the head against Stockdale?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

• Registered Users Posts: 12,026 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Sheehan our first choice 2 now? Surely he can't be dropped on this form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

That's a very satisfying win. Last season Leinster struggled at times when conditions were poor. We also lost concentration in games and lost. Looking at Cardiff last year.

Leinster were dominant in the collisions and the set piece for the first 55 minutes and strangled the life out of Ulster. Our subs didn't have the desired impact, but the players still kept their heads and won.

Thought Henshaw, Baird, Jenkins, VDF and Sheehan had great games. Baird looks increasingly comfortable at blindside.

Jason Jenkins is quickly becoming a key player. Just a very solid player and seems to give our set piece that bit of extra power that takes us over the edge from parity to advantage.

Post edited by Clegg on

Please don't quote him as I have him on ignore. Life's far too short to be wasted reading any of his interminable nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Has Jenkins now played more minutes for Leinster than he managed for Munster last season?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,598 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I doubt it given his sub appearances, but has more starts already alright; only managed 2 in his full season.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Madeoface

Jenkins looks good for the beefier games. Nice win. Ulster unlucky to be fair but every point needed this year for home games so no trips to sa at the business end.

Happy enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

He played more than I thought. 10 games but only 2 starts. I thought he was fit later in the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

That's a very good win, it has to be said. Ulster are a good team, so to go up to Belfast and come back with 4 points is a great result. Not many teams will win up there this season.

Our dominance of the breakdown was the key IMO. It stifled any momentum Ulster tried to build and gave us field position to build a score. Or defence was also very good and our scrum went well. I thought Jack Conan was absolutely excellent actually. Sheehan was really impressive as usual. Can't see Kelleher getting that 2 shirt back for a while.

Jenkins was really impactful once again. He'll bring so much in these tight, arm wrestle games. I don't think James Ryan's position in the side is guaranteed anymore.

A part of me feels that we were very wasteful and should have won by more. And a schoolboy error from Aaron Sexton let us out of jail. But 14 points from 3 games is not to be sniffed at.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Good effort! Thought RB was good and Ngati did well. Porter looked strong and Molony was fantastic. Great seeing Connors out there, be nice if gets back to where he was.

Conan was my motm.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Itxa

This game was more forward dominated tripe. The conditions didn’t allow back play but I can see where this season is headed. One dimensional bateings at the hands of Leinster’s forwards and us looking out of ideas when we meet our physical match. The winning colllisions argument goes well for those who don’t see down the line and the need to have a more subtle gameplan than just dominating teams. I will say the forwards were impressive but if we become too reliant on Jenkins it could spell disaster later on. People are happy to take these sort of wins early in the season but then wonder why we can’t close out in the knockouts of Europe. We need to be less of a forwards oriented team.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

Did you see the conditions? What the f*ck are we supposed to do in a torrential downpour and gale force winds? Throw the ball around Barbarians style?

I've been as critical of Leinster's lack of ability to break down bigger teams as anyone, but jesus, a bit of common sense like.

Didn’t I say the conditions didn’t allow for back play? What I’m concerned about is people walking away from that game like happy saps thinking we are all conquering and that that game sums up that we are dominant. We’re not.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Lsdrugbyfan

Who cares what fans think?

Do you think the team came away from that thinking they were dominant and all conquering?

I think they will think that yes. They will think it’s a comprehensive win away from home with a thoroughly dominant pack. I agree with that but did you see Ulster?

They were much smaller and looked like they had just played a full season. They were soft and slow. They looked like they had been training in the mud for 6 months they were so slow.

I think people can take respite from a win like that but the manner of the first three wins doesn’t fill me with confidence. All that said it wasn’t a night for running rugby last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Nobody who saw that game yesterday thought Leinster were “all conquering”. FFS, what is this place becoming.

• Advertisement

You can see Stockdale's face getting smashed by henshaw here

Hyperbole much? Henshaw wasn’t moving forward so he wasn’t “smashing” anything. He didn’t go low so was very lucky not to get a card, but there’s absolutely no need for the dramatic language on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,361 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

In fairness that poster will post this crap no matter what happens. It was a good win in poor conditions that’s what I suspect most brought away from it.

I don't think 'Smashed' is hyperbole here

The other poster on this thread said there was no head contact at all.

Probably should have been a yellow and I don't think it would have changed the outcome of the match

I have a different philosophy on how I think the game should be played. I don’t think it should be referred to as crap.

The problem is we’re not evolving but doubling down on route 1 rugby. That carries its own risks and I have outlined them above and going further back.

I am bereft at how we have focused on what in my opinion is not the right way of playing. And not the right strategy to improve and win a European Cup.

We need variation and evolution not doubling backwards so I am advocating it here to try and raise standards in the fans minds.

Smashed absolutely is hyperbole. If anyone was smashing anything, Stockdale smashed into Henshaw. Henshaw needed to get lower and was lucky not to be carded for not doing so, but someone who isn’t moving forward into contact can’t be smashing anything.

On the subject of the game, I watched it again and was impressed by how well our centres performed last night. Both are obviously top class internationals, but they outplayed their Ulster counterparts by a large margin.

Conan also had a far better game than I originally thought as well. Carried quite a lot and made good ground.

They’re two very competent professionals that make very few mistakes. But they aren’t above average European standards. Neither is a game breaker or flyer who can open up defences. Competent European standard only but selected for our international team due to lack of better alternatives. And yes they outplayed their opposite numbers comprehensively yesterday.

• Advertisement

I think Porter is getting into his position. He seemed better last night and he didn't creak at the scrum. That's great from an international perspective.

Conan was very good. Quietly efficient. He seems to fly under the radar and is overlooked by some.

Luke had some ropey passes and it's frustrating. Overall, I think he played well. He'll always drive us nuts with his passes and despite the conditions he will always have ropey passes in his arsenal. If he ever fixed his passing, he'd be the starting 9.

Advertisement