Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Cartoon Saloon also made The Breadwinner (same director as this new one) a few years ago, no Irish accents in that either, but it did alright for them. Personally I think it's great that the same studio can release something like their very Irish folklore trilogy, while also making things like this or The Breadwinner, and find success with them all. I'm just hoping Netflix don't drop the ball with this when it comes to the Oscars. They have GDT's Pinocchio too, which seems guaranteed a nomination at the very least. Cartoon Saloon have had 4 films and 4 nominations, so I hope this one keeps the streak doing for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Eat the rich going on my list

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Looking forward to watching Blonde. I don't know that much about Marilyn Monroe's life, apart from the few bits that you'd pick up in the media. It's a long film - 2.75 hours.

It seems to have received very mixed reviews.

It's not a straight forward biopic, so I'm not sure how much more you'll know about her after watching it. I was listening to Mark Kermode's review of it earlier and he said its more like a horror film disguised as a biopic. He seemed to like it though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I like Andrew Dominik as a director - especially Jesse James and his two superb Nick Cave films - but yikes he's been doing an awful job talking about Blonde, doing his best to strengthen the skeptical and negative readings of the film. This Sight & Sound interview has been doing the rounds over the last day or so, showing how bizarre and narrow his approach to Monroe as a person seems to be.

I'll be watching myself this evening with as open a mind as possible, but this went from a film I would've checked out day one in the cinema to approaching with trepidation after the reviews (some of which have been scathing, although it must be noted there have been some positive ones too - including Kermode's) and Dominik's own strange promotional journey!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Yeah, that Sight & Sound interview was like a really concerted effort to say "I couldn't give a feck about the reality of her, I wanted to just convey what I felt reading this book about her that completely ignores a large part of her life". I wasn't likely to see it in the cinema to begin with, but certainly not doing that now - though the stuff about changing presentation style to match the photos that scenes were based around does have me curious about the cinematography, at least...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,022 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Yeah, Nertflix seem to be emphasising it's a fictional account going by the description. At least they admit it, unlike other biopics that can be a bit careless with the truth.

It's based on a book that's been around for 20 years, that's described as a fictionalized take on Monroe's life. It would be very hard for them to present it as anything else. And yet there still seems to be a lot of people expecting a straight up biopic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭jj880

Just finished. Not what I expected. Im a fan of Ana De Armas but theres a lot of over acting going on and weird choices for scenes.

She must say Daddy 100+ times. Nearly turned off when her unborn child suddenly started having a conversation with her. Bizarre. Also the film was just depressing overall.

If I could turn the clock back 3 hours I'd tell myself to watch Eat The Rich: The GameStop Saga. Its an entertaining 3 episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Dahmer was very good. Best series I’ve watched on this in a good while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of Cartoon Saloon. Have seen all their movies in cinema (SoTS kills me every damn time). The accents is just an observation. I have faith in the studio. My favourite review of Song was from Mark Kermode below when he bemoans the fact that no animated film has ever won the Oscar for best picture (valid point).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Anyone wanting a film recommendation without trawling through the algorithm, I watched "Athena"; French action-thriller set in a Tower Block that kicks into all-out war with the police. Really great cinematography with pace & tension that never lets up from the start. The ending kind duffs the open goal but honestly, everything before that was rollicking.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

The Empress season 1 (2022) (German) When rebellious Elisabeth falls for Emperor Franz and becomes his unlikely bride, she enters a world of tension and intrigue at the Viennese court.

Added

I think the whole point of introducing a category specifically for animated feature was a reaction to Beauty and the Beast (I think) being nominated for best picture. I'm sure I read that somewhere, that some of the decision makers didn't like the idea of an animated film being in contention for the big prize, so they created a category to keep them separate.

Yeah. And that's some buuuuuuuuulsh1t. Honestly, "Spotlight" wins best picture Oscar when "Inside Out" won best animated film. Spotlight? Fine, if forgettable, film. But Inside Out was simply fantastic and a game-changer. (Anyone who says they didn't well-up at Bing-Bong is either a liar or dead inside 😀)

Ehhhhh..... I hated Inside Out, and am generally speaking not a big fan of Pixar's films, but I think we can still agree on the fact that animated films should not be automatically ruled out of the best feature category. I'd say Green Book winning the same year Into The Spiderverse won for animated is a perfect example.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

American animation is like video games; there's a valid argument the medium has grown to a point it should be treated as a mature device for delivering emotional, complex takes. But it's also considered infantile and produces nonsense like Trolls World Tour that dominates the box office. It struggles to be taken seriously.

What makes it more ludicrous is that US cartoons have been showing more nuance and focus of late than the average live action crowd-pleaser that tries to please everyone, ending up feeling more childish and frivolous.

When when you have "Boss Baby" nominated for best animated film over "Your Name", you know who is making those decisions.

And as for Spiderverse? That was my favourite film of that year

This year is really interesting in that there's potential for Disney and/or Pixar to be shut out completely and there still be a really strong category. Won't happen though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Entergalactic (2022) Ambitious artist Jabari attempts to balance success and love when he moves into his dream Manhattan apartment and falls for his next-door neighbor.

Into the Deep: The Submarine Murder Case (2022) When journalist Kim Wall disappears after boarding inventor Peter Madsen's submarine, his changing story about her fate masks a terrifying truth

Human Playground season 1 (2022) Narrated by Idris Elba, this docuseries explores the origins and evolution of play across the globe, from age-old rituals to billion-dollar businesses.

Rainbow (2022) (Spanish) In search of her mother, a free-spirited teen and her eccentric companions set out on a whimsical journey while avoiding the clutches of a wicked woman.

Phantom Pups season 1(2022) A young boy and his family move into a haunted home, where he meets three adorable ghost pups and tries to help them turn back into real dogs..

Words on Bathroom Walls (2020) A witty teen with dreams of being a chef struggles to balance love and his perfect image after he is diagnosed with a mental illness in his senior year

What We Leave Behind (2022) (Spanish) Director Iliana Sosa recounts her grandpa's final trips between Mexico and Texas as he overcame hardships to provide for his family.

The Last Shift (2020) A fast-food worker proudly retiring after 38 years of service clashes with his replacement, a troubled young writer with a more cynical view of the job

7 Yards: The Chris Norton Story (2021) After an injury during a football game left him with paralysis, Chris Norton works to beat the odds in time to walk down the aisle with his fiancée...

Floor Is Lava season 3 (2022) Teams compete to navigate rooms flooded with lava by leaping from chairs, hanging from curtains and swinging from chandeliers. Yes, really.

Added

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,606 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

There was a drama about that Kim Wall story called the investigation really excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,025 ✭✭✭Patser

Watching it now. Good explaination of what happened and how markets got played. Keeping it well explained - reminds me a lot of The Big Short but with real people talking about their experiences

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

It wasn't just the market that got played, the share price hit over $300 (?) at the peak craziness and is at $25 now. I have a feeling it was a bunch of people thinking they were sticking it to the man who bought the high and are now sitting on a bag of sh!t.

One or two hedge funds may have got shafted but I guarantee that a few types of entities who everyone was trying to crash came out of this very well off.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,084 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Athena was a great watch, thanks as always to this thread..

Next up is Lou, I love Alison Janney

• Registered Users Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

A trailer for Del Toro's Cabinet of Curiosities. Anthology series like this always have the potential to be a mixed bag, but I'm looking forward to it all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,893 ✭✭✭appledrop

I'm really enjoying Stateless at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,893 ✭✭✭appledrop

Is anyone else watching Inside Man on BBC, supposedly it will be coming to Netflix in future.

It is a crazy and brilliant watch, can't wait to finish it next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,025 ✭✭✭Patser

Absolutely, and the programme shows and deals with them too. Interesting to hear all the nicknames and slang that the Redditers had on their forum - Crispies is the name they gave to the Late to the party, investing because of the hype type that got burnt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Caquas

The Kidnapping Affair is an eye-opener about Mexico’s wild criminal justice system.

A French woman, Florence Cassez, was sentenced to 60 years after a “reality TV” raid on a ranch where kidnap victims were allegedly held. Lots of twists in a story that began in 2005 and is still evolving.

President Sarkozy backed Cassez to the hilt but the kidnap victims were very angry at what they saw as special treatment for her. The film makers clearly sided with her and the other accused persons but I was left with a lot of questions, especially about the murky “Golem” fixer who fingered them in the first place.

One thing is clear - if you go to Mexico, be very careful who you deal with.

https://www.netflix.com/us/title/81134165?s=i&trkid=13747225&vlang=en&clip=81612736

Post edited by Caquas on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Watched all of eat the rich. Regret doing so as it may indirectly prompt Netflix to make similar docu-series' going forward.

Advertisement