Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭AFOL

Does anyone know how long it is taking to process grant payments at the moment, I sent off all my documents at the end of July and have heard nothing since (not even confirmation that it was all received).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

8 weeks.

call them. There’s either an issue with your application or it’s due at the end of September (8 weeks) b

• Registered Users Posts: 8,656 ✭✭✭micks_address

When you uploaded docs if it was an online application you should have gotten an email saying all was in place and payment would be processed. I think mine was 6 weeks or so before hitting account. When I submitted my docs I got an email saying my electrician needed to do a step. Once they did that after I chased them I got another emailing saying they had all the info required and it would be processed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭shanec1928

it really is a crap process and should not be taking 8 weeks or longer to process, especially when done online. Typical bureaucracy of dealing with the government.

It’s not as simple as that. You are not dealing with the Government.

You submit the forms online alright. But the installation needs to be registered with ESB Networks.

So the SEAI have to wait for ESBN to confirm certification in batches. This can be delayed by your sparks paperwork or registration status.

Checks are also made on the RECI status etc.

Its also worth noting that the payments can be made significantly quicker and it just depends on the lodgement time relative to the current cycle.

Lastly, we must still be the only population that actually complains about getting free money, like seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

What a rip off. Another example of installers absolutely creaming it unless the install is difficult or quite complicated. Better way would be for the grant to be paid direct to installer for a "standard install" (cable run up to 10M). Customer supplies charge point and pays extra €10 for every meter of cable over 10M. Any additional work to be charged extra (priority switch, earth rod, ancillary works etc if needed). A straight forward install should not see the leccy walk away with the best part of 1k in his back pocket for a couple of hours work.

Stay Free

Hi folks,

I'm potentially selling my vw charger on adverts if anyone is interested. I'm getting solar installed and a zappi would be easier to integrate..

I'd say I've only used it ten times since installation as I charge at work. Going to hold onto it if I can't get decent price for it. Might be deal for someone not bothered about solar.

Cheers,

Mick

It might depend on what you consider a decent price. What’s the difference in yours compared to the one that’s €479 on the Eli site?

When you can get similar chargers for €250 (Wallbox and Tesla) currently in the group for sale, you have to really highlight the difference for a buyer, if any.

Agreed.. to be honest the only advantage is it has online connectivity for updates and also includes a CT clamp for load balancing.. there are software options for the solar side of things so I'll give that a go before swapping it out

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

What’s the difference in yours compared to the one that’s €479 on the Eli site?

The “connected” version is retailing €750 so that’s the comparison. Whether that’s worth it or not is another thing entirely.

The difference between the €479 and €750 versions is mainly app support and the ability to get firmware updates. If you don’t care about apps etc then defo not worth it, but ymmv.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

I’m sorry if this question has been asked 150 times already but…

The ESB are due to install a smart meter in the near future and I’m hoping that I can future proof for an EV charger installation at the same time. I was wondering is my main fuse up to the job? Is there anything else I would need to take into consideration? Photo and screenshot below. Thanks a mil.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Changing the meter won't affect/change the rest of your installation. They wont be touching that fuse. You cant ask them to simply upgrade it either, that has to be done in conjunction with your electrician who would upgrade the wiring in your house first and then they'd upgrade the fuse... nothing to do with the smart meter install though.

Do note, you should take a look at the smart tariffs before you allow the smart meter in. They are really bad value, particularly if you plan to get an EV which will be charging at night.

Thanks for the info. I understand that the meter job would be separate to everything else but I was hoping I could convince them to do both jobs at once. I suppose it's never that easy. I'll make sure to check the smart meter tariffs too. Could I even stop them from changing the meter?

Would my current fuse be up to the EV Charger job though?

Thanks again.

If you don't have an electric shower, solar, or heat pump, then you should have no issue with a charge point. If you have an electric shower, you can have a priority switch fitted to give priority to the shower (the charger will stop when shower is running). This is for dumb chargers.

Having a load balancing CP installed will cover you for a smart charger. Hypervolt, Wallbox, Zappi etc will all do what you need.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I don't see a thread for the grant so I'll post here, received my charger grant yesterday. Paperwork submitted on the 24th of August. I was expecting it to take 8 weeks!

Thanks a mil. We only have an electric shower and that is used far less often than the cylinder fed pump shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,491 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Why do you need updates if it’s just a standard charger ? Plug in and charge

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭cython

Also received mine yesterday (well, overnight Friday), and I returned my paperwork (not via online process, application predated that) around the end of July with a deadline of August 24th for that, which puts it between 6 and 8 weeks for me. As others have said, there seem to be payment cycles/batches and depending on how your submission aligns to that the time taken can vary quite a bit, as evidenced here.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

Had my Wallbox Pulsar Plus installed 18. September for 1200 EUR and received my 600 euro from SEAI this minute. Very efficient process.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭Buffman

It'll most likley be ESBN sub-contractors who'll install the smart meter (KN-Circet in my area), they are contracted to do only that and will be highly unlikely to touch anything else without prior approval.

You can 100% refuse or defer a smart meter installation, all you have to do is contact ESBN with your MPRN and tell them.

Only a REC that knows what your current installation is and knows what charger you want or can recommend the correct charger, can answer your question for certain on what, if anything needs to be upgraded. As well as possibly needing that fuse upgraded to 100A, other things like meter tails, consumer unit and earthing might need upgrades.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭AFOL

Received over the weekend, just in time for holidays :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Hi all. Has anybody had an issue with the Elli VW ID charger? I had mine for 9 months and mid charge recently it just stopped working. No LEDs visible, nothing. There is still power to the unit so must be a fault in the box. I sent details and pictures of the internal wiring back to VW and in fairness they have dispatched a replacement box but no explanation what caused the problem, or what the problem actually is. It’s a pain in the rear as I’ve been without my home charger now for a couple of weeks and more until I receive the replacement, I am also going to have to stump up for an installer to decommission the old one and replace.

How have you confirmed there is still power to the unit?

Stay Free

If you can wire a plug, you can swap the chargers. Even easier that your replacing like for like so the cut wires and fixing points are all the same.

This was going to be my first suggestion, but I'm wondering how they have confirmed the unit has power. Could be a loose connection in the same circuit as the tethered plug.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

The father in law (electrician) helped me remove the front cover of the charger and tested it for power. I think we’ll certainly try to connect the replacement. I’m more concerned about what went wrong with it though

I suggest killing power to the unit and checking all connections are secure and tight. It is not uncommon for the connections to come loose over time. The main connections to check are the incoming from the CU and the outgoing (where the type 2 plug connects to the unit). I don't know the inner workings of the VW EVSE, but it may well be that the LEDs won't work unless all those connections are tight.

I know from experience that connections can come loose on these, especially if not properly torqued in the first place.

Stay Free

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

As an aside from that post, if the grant is reliant on ESBN contacting SEAI re forms received etc surely that would mean all of us in receipt of grants must be NC6 registered (for deemed export payment).

And it's not free money, it is funded from a tax base and we pay a lot of taxes in this country (but I know what you mean)

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

Anybody with a solar PV install should have an NC6 form submitted as standard by their installer. That’s correct.

Advertisement