Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Green energy does not face any evaluation of habitat destruction both home and abroad.

Its amazing how many folks don’t realise the construction, manufacturing, and raw materials of ‘green’ energy are actually filthy. I favour a move away from carbon based energy to renewables, but I’m not naïve enough to think it’s squeaky clean.

What helps me sleep at night us knowing that there is no corruption in green energy and my government has my best interest at heart. Business class flights ensure they rest well and can perform at levels that bring what’s best for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Don't tell them the oil inside them even synthetic comes from actual petroleum

• Registered Users Posts: 15,069 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

LOL. Your getting very exercised and narky over turf cutting.

Understandable to an extent with the whole green agenda coming apart at the seams and I imagine the statement from the Department of Housing Local Government and Heritage that the basically the E.U didn`t know what they were talking about didn`t help. Especially with Malcolm Noonan Green Party T.D.being Junior Minister for Heritage in that Department.

For a rag tag bunch so concerned over bogs you would wonder where they were when wind farms were being built on bogs that subsequently, after many warnings as to what it would lead too, caused major landslides in Donegal and Galway..

But then I doubt like much else they spout about, they wouldn`t know a bog if they were buried up to the neck in one. One green keyboard warrior that hasn`t been around for a while always referred to burning turf as burning dirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

I'm sorry lad/las, but when you're insisting that everybody should have a retrofit but at the same time saying "I get that everybody is struggling with the cost of living but the country can't give everybody a free retro fit." you actually need to pony up and pay for it.

If you're insisting on that, the devil in the detail of how it's to be paid for is on YOU and your merry band of supporters.

Hard figures, or else, fook of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭patnor1011

No need to concern yourself too much about this bog saving ecstasy. It will be very short lived. This time next year whatever peat we will not be able to use ourselves we may be exporting as a fuel to quite a few countries. :) Good thing is that we still have plenty of it.

Post edited by patnor1011 on

• Registered Users Posts: 82,343 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The EU should be asked why they still allow and support highly polluting oil and gas to be extracted and why they have targetted turf being extracted from Ireland.

It's simple to understand - we're pushovers, and our lackeys in the Dail would run around in circles naked if the EU asked them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭JRant

It's even more simple than that. They don't like the idea of folks cutting their own turf and using it to heat their homes as they can't tax the bejaysus out of it. Our government were very very robust in defending VRT despite it being in direct opposition to the free movement of goods within Europe. The reason? They make to much money on it in tax to be good Europeans.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭JRant

And just wait until they find out the cost of continually repairing the turbine blade edges or how inefficient they become if they aren't repaired regularly.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement

Just a reminder for the few folks who seem to be angry about the EU's comments. This relates specifically to SAC's (Special Areas of Conservation) which were designated as such in the 1990's which the govt have failed to protect.

In 2011 the EU gave a shot across the bow and the govt did some work to protect the SAC's including, but not limited to, compensation for landowners who would no longer have the use of the land, rewetting & restoration etc.

What the EU are asking the govt to do is complete the work they started, i.e. make sure these areas of conservation are protected against destruction.

What some of you seem to be proposing, is free reign to continue to destroy the habitat. Sorry, thats not acceptable and if it takes the EU forcing the govt's hand to get it sorted, then I welcome their intervention

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

It's not just Ireland and Germany have energy policies on the point of causing serious economic upheaval. The New England area of the United States population circa 15 million people is an unbelievable situation where a country that has the natural gas resources in nearby States, but is obstructed at every turn when trying to build the pipeline infrastructure. Not only that, they have to import LNG at international prices, in extreme cold situations the gas must be diverted to home heating and the electricity generation companies burn oil instead.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

Its interesting that he laments the closure of Pilgrim nuke plant, at one point identified at "one of the worst-run″ nuclear plants in the country by the NRC.

Indeed it closed simply because it wasn't viable to complete all the necessary safety upgrades to it.

Isn't crazy how safety seems to plague the nuke industry, even in the US.

Anyway, I digress, back on topic, its nice to see Cork County Council taking a lead as it sets out to become one of Europe’s first climate-neutral cities by 2030.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,211 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

That the same Cork City Council where councillors are actively trying to sabotage BusConnects and active travel?

They still using them Etrees or whatever they are ? stupid money paid and expensive to run.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,211 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Yes the robo trees are still there. Phenomenal waste of money.

It`s even crazier than that, the cannot use U.S. LNG because of the almost 100 year old Jones Act which mandates that the transportation between two U.S. ports be performed by vessels that are U.S. flagged, U.S. owned, U.S. crewed and U.S. built amd no such vessels exist. No problem if they buy LNG outside of the U.S.as then it can be shipped by a vessel carrying any flag, crew, or owned and built by anyone anywhere in the world anywhere in the world.

Crazy situation, but difficult to feel much sympathy for them when they could pipe in gas from neighbouring states. A blackout or two this Winter, with their temperatures, will not be long in changing that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,408 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

• Registered Users Posts: 22,408 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

A blackout or 2.... most winters when I was growing up had multiple blackouts. we didn't rush to LNG imports, we played snap by candlelight

2011 the E.U. sent a letter. 11 years later they are sending another letter. Not exactly the immanent appearance before the ECJ you were attempting to portray now is it. ?

Still good to know that if that very unlikely ever became the case then from their recent statement it would be contested by the Irish Government and in particular Malcolm Noonan Green Part T.D. and Junior Minister for Heritage.

If it is not acceptable to you that the E.U. not enforcing this directive to the letter of the law also mean it is not acceptable to you that the E.U is not enforcing to the letter of the law our noncompliance on energy security, or is it like much else also excusable under green hypocrisy ?

• Advertisement

I doubt you are older than me, but any I remember were due to power lines being down due to storms or out due to lightning strikes.

I cannot remember any due to a lack of power supply but perhaps you can ?

An exact amount or a percentage of what it would take to add all the wind capacity that greens are wishing for that they haven`t a clue on how much it would cost ?

Apart from the ESB strikes in the early 90s there were no blackouts. Power disruptions due to storms were infrequent. Christmas '97 and '98 were the ones that stick out in memory, but fair play to the linesmen - they had alot of the country back up and running in under 24hrs. Those storms were on a par with "hurricane" Sandy and relatives living on Long Island had to wait three weeks to get their power back on by comparison.

Not attempting to portray anything, I've linked to the facts. How you choose to interpret them is on you.

Fyi, the recent contact was as a result of FIE engaging with the EU to get them to take action.

If you have concerns about other issues that you feel the EU should be tackling the govt about, by all means, learn from FIE

Where are the fines for the water charges ? 🤑🤔

I`m not attempting to portray anything. Just pointing out that the E.U. "action" 11 years ago was a letter and that they are now going to repeat that with another letter is not this imminent ECJ court case you have been attempting to portray.

Amused that should there be an unlikely case brought by the E.U. then Malcolm Noonan Green Part T.D. and Junior Minister for Heritage will be front and center on behalf of Ireland defending the Irish Government position. For the Irish green Party with friends like the FIE who needs enemies.🤣

As usual no reply to the faux outrage question of you calling for the letter of the law being applied for a pretty much nothing over a few bog banks in a small number of SAC areas, (rather than all bogs which you are attempting to portray this as), while ignoring the non-compliance on energy security which has much more serious implication for the country than a few bog banks

Just the usual green hypocrisy and further evidence of your lack of credibility.

Post edited by charlie14 on

That would be my memories of power being out in Ireland being due to weather rather than the present possibility of candlelight being required due to lack of capacity, and I can remember Hurricane Debbie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭patnor1011

I`m not attempting to portray anything. Just pointing out that the E.U. "action" 11 years ago was a letter and that they are now going to repeat that with another letter is not this imminent ECJ court case you have been attempting to portray.

An incorrect interpretation by you again.

As usual no reply to the faux outrage question of you calling for the letter of the law being applied for a pretty much nothing over a few bog banks in a small number of SAC areas, (rather than all bogs which you are attempting to portray this as), while ignoring the non-compliance on energy security which has much more serious implication for the country than a few bog banks

I have my areas of concern as you have yours, as illustrated by the dismissive tone you have for such an important and delicate habitat. So I can choose to ignore the administrative issue caused by Brexit. You don't like that, meh, I'm sure you will get over it at some point.

Just the usual green hypocrisy and further evidence of your lack of credibility.

Lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I'll ask again, how many solar panels do you have installed?

Advertisement