Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Softening house market?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,383 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

So we you were doing all your analysis of these books, what sort of LCRs were you seeing? How about duration estimates?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭kaymin

And what is your conclusion from that? Point out where you conclude that they fund their long term assets with short term liabilities?

92b out of a total funding / liabilities of 114b are customer deposits - is it not obvious?

That says zero about the maturity profile on the asset side.

This is a property thread. The only relevant data are mortgages. Which would not be being being funded by deposits

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭greenfield21

So...does everyone still think real estate in ireland goes higher from here?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,380 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Customer deposits are used to finance mortgages.

That is the main activity of a bank.

Take pTSB.

Loan assets to customers = 14.26bn

Customer deposits = 18.6bn

• Advertisement

Have you even looked at their balance sheet? How is the loan book of 56b funded if not from customer deposits. Their liquidity note even states 'Customer deposits represent the largest source of funding for the Group with the core retail franchises and accompanying deposit base in both Ireland and the UK providing a stable and reasonably predictable source of funds.'

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭dontmindme

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭drogon.

So you think Irish banks would not pay interest rates to deposit holders to keep interest rates low for mortgage customers ?

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Q&A

While depositors might want a greater return on their deposit - I'd gladly take it as well the truth is the banks have more deposits then they can lend out. They can afford to let some of it flow out. So there's no need for them to overpay any more than that have to. Regardless the bulk of households savings tend just to sit there regardless.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

That's literally what they are doing right now. The banks have made it clear that their strong deposits, and the fact that they are now making money from ECB inter-bank lending rates, is helping them to offset interest rate rises for mortgage holders. None of the banks have increased mortgage interest rates yet for their fixed or variable rate customers. Why do you think that is? Deposits were costing them dearly during the negative interest rate environment, now it's making them money.

It's no secret. Permanent TSB in particular made a big song and dance about it at their AGM in June. We'll see interest rate rises filter through in the coming months, but for now they're trying to win back business from the newer lender entrants - who are getting absolutely hammered due to the fact that they have no deposits to finance their lending. They're also using the opportunity to encourage people to move off tracker rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,267 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

deposits are not used directly in financing loans, as they are held as reserves, and banks cannot loan out reserves, banks simply create the credit required in loans, its effectively an accountancy activity, this has been confirmed by some central banks now, papers included

Oh this is embarrassing for you. You're conflating various bank terms here.

We were discussing how banks fund themselves with (generally) shorter term deposits and use it to lend out longer term credit. That's the business model.

The LCR is a regulatory measure designed to ensure they have enough liquidity over the short term (30 days).

The fact banks have to hold some short term assets to meet short term payouts is a world away saying they have to hold ALL of their assets in short term products. That's not how banking works.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭drogon.

Makes sense, but how long do you think banks will backing the small guys (ones borrowing money) and telling the depositors (ones with the money) to sod off ? I guess one we will have to wait and see.

You can google whatever you want, but you didn't read enough to understand it even on a basic level. You appear to have taken it up completely arseways and think it is saying that a bank can only take on short term debt. If you want to educate yourself to a basic level, when you are finished reading what LCR is then you can go and look up NSFR also and try to understand that.

It's fine. You have no experience in banking or regulatory requirements. Most people reading whatever you are spouting won't either so they won't know the difference either. There is not much point me expending energy on someone insisting the moon is made of cheese or the earth is flat.

Some of the posters on here remind me of my sister when she was about 7. She put the coins from her piggy bank into a post office account and then was confused and a bit upset when she later withdrew the money to buy something and they gave her notes instead of "her money" back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭IWW2900

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Jmc25

After the last two years I'll never say never but things do seem to have slowed. I rang around this weekend and there's houses for sale well over a month now with no offers despite having asking prices that would have been exceeded in a week back in March or so.

Asking prices are steady but I do wonder will the PPR show that actual prices achieved have slipped back by the end of the year? Basically while asking prices have changed little, earlier this year they were generally being comfortably exceeded whereas now they're being met or slightly exceeded.

Anyone else's experiences lately been similar?

That's cute, you're just ranting now. You won't admit you're wrong when there is a page of comments tearing your 'arguments' (and I'm being generous with that term) apart.

It's fine throwing in terms like LCR but if you don't know what they mean you'll eventually get found out. As can be seen from your contradictory statements above. Let's see you explain the relevance of NSFR to the debate..

But hey true to your username you could just have a go at everyone else rather than admit you're wrong.

But feel free to come back with an actual point that's on topic

NSFR is Net Stable Funding Ratio. It is in the Basel rules and has to be reported. It was brought in as, on a basic explanation, a measure of maturity mismatch. A bank needs to keep this ratio above a certain level as per requirement. The afformentioned LCR means that a bank has to have enough liquid assets to meet it's short term obligations. For the above, for example, they would be trying to make sure that there is not a liquidity crisis in the bank due to, for example, a run on deposits.

I gather you think that if a wealthy businessman puts 1m into a demand deposit account tomorrow that the bank will take that money and give out 4x250k 30-year mortgages the next day using the same money. That is not how it works. At a very simplistic toy example, if the bank gets loads of deposits, they are short term liabilities. If it them gives out all that money in 30 year mortgages, then those are long term assets. The risk is that the businessman, or all the depositers, arrive to the bank the next day to withdraw their deposits. You assets are long-dated so you won't have the money to pay them.

As poster said above, what a bank can lend and can't lend is based off a number of requirements such as capital requirements (Capital is broken down into three tiers if you want to get into more details but that is not relevant for here). Banks need to keep these capital reserves sitting there "just in case".

If the Bank wants to give out a load of 30 year mortgages, it will have to issue on some longer-date debt itself in order to make sure it has some security over it's future requirements. The short end of the curve is usually lower, but it can invert, or even spike in a time of crisis. I think that the overnight rate in Ireland was up over 10-12% around the time of the financial crisis for example. Banks are not allowed to leave themselves open to such risks. They don't want to hold capital there which is not being used as it is expensive (I can tell you all about KVA for derivative contracts and the difficulty modelling that if you want, but then again I think you need to study hard for a few years before we could even start to talk about that) so the regulators require them to do it.

Although not banking, one example of someone who was trying to pull a fast one in terms of reserves was a certain Mr. Quinn, which is why we all have to pay a levy now. He wasn't setting capital aside for the risks he was taking on and so he was saving loads of money, but the problem with that was that if the sh1t hit the fan, he wouldn't be able to cover the liabilities.

Post edited by Donald Trump on

Oh look, given you liked quoting AIB balance sheet, I took a look at their Chief Executive's Review from their 2021 financial reports. That silly idiot was also going on about LCR and NSFR. What an idiot - talking about things that the boards.ie experts could have told him had nothing to do with banking!!!

Does he not know a bank works like my then 7-year old sister thought? The bank just takes in your notes and coins and gives those notes and coins back across the counter to someone else who wants a loan.

The idiot. You should run for his job when he inevitably gets fired for knowing nothing!

Very good you're learning to nearly make a valid point. But I'll call you up on a couple of issues:

The LCR and NSFR are designed to reduce excessive mismatch but not do away with maturity transformation... Again this is a banks business model. If it were implemented in the way you think banks would not exist.

Your example of a millionaire holding savings is fine but irrelevant here. It's been a broad increase in deposits across many households not just one rich bloke putting all his savings in. Banks are allowed to assume short term deposits are sticky where they have evidence to that effect.

I can understand why you use to work in derivatives. But even they seem to have tired of your cockiness and lack of understanding of a simple balance sheet. What do you think the banks are doing with the deposits?

Let's be clear he's not the idiot here.

You're shooting yourself in the foot. Your clueless assertion that mortgage loans are not funded by deposits is clear nonsense... The very quote you used stated the loan to deposit ratio is 61% if banking was as you described it that ratio would be illegal... Total nonsense.

Stick with your derivatives my friend cause basic banking seems a little over your head.

This was was to do with the belief that a bank could just use the deposits it has to give out more mortgages. The thread being about the housing market and mortgage interest rates was brought up as an aspect of that. There was a view expressed that these would not raise due to them having loads of deposits earning 0%.

That's fine. You're an anonymous randomer posting on the internet. I don't care what you waffle on about.

• Advertisement

... And totally irrelevant for this thread for the reasons I stated. Musk hasn't just deposited his Twitter money in an Irish Bank, its an across the board increasing in savings so the vast majority of those funds could be loaned out again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement