Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭rogber

If the Japan-atomic bomb discussion is going to continue could you guys open a new thread for it? It's interesting but very off topic

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭weisses

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

https://t.me/dva_majors/2784

Russians claim that Ukraine tried to attack Davydiv Brod again and failed. Apparently Ukraine had slightly better luck further north and took the village of Zolota Balka.

son+Oblast,+Ukraine,+74214/@47.379704,33.9590155,14z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x40c355bb6d7c609b:0x2b14a229be135b66!8m2!3d47.3759623!4d33.963947

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

What's the best news site guy's for updates on the Ukraine and Russia war ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,400 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

www.moscowmickandcomradeclaire.com for the best independent and neutral coverage of the truth. Not sponsored by Russia

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

I find Reuters and Al Jazerra the best for balanced coverage. Stay away from Twitter whatever you do we've one or two here who think it's gospel and keep putting up fake links etc...

Thanks guys I'll check those out then.

It might be down at the minute.

The CIA and NATO are always hitting their servers with DDOS attacks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭sjb25

They're getting their influence from call out videos from Ireland. They should show their faces though.

Am waiting on the video of them calling put Putin for being afraid to come out of his bunker and sh1teing in a bucket for a week

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭zv2

Twitter #Ukraine, but be careful of the alternate reality people there. Watch out for the mines too.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Membership "requires" nothing other than every member state agreeing. There are no rules that if met guarantee acceptance, nor requirements that are automatically disqualifying. You only have to look at Turkey's posturing over Finnish entry wrt the Kurds to see that it is a purely political question.

Only the most perverse reading possible would suggest armed retaliation to invasion would be a disqualifying factor. You can't settle invasion by peaceful means. Unless you really think that if Russia had sent some men 1km over the border into Finland that would have automatically stopped Finnish accession to NATO.

The reason Ukraine won't be accepted into NATO is the same reason it would not have been accepted 10 years ago or 1 year ago. It has not because of some technicality where they have a "border dispute".

Ultimately we are agreed - they aren't going to be invited to join anytime soon but accession to NATO is more or less the very definition of realpolitik.

I don't think people understand the magnitude of what Ukraine has in front of it. Kherson has clearly been a complete meat grinder for both sides, we've seen no signs of the Russians cracking here. If anything, they've been reinforcing the area. Even if Ukraine can push them out and take Kherson city (which I do think will happen eventually), they still have the Dniepr river between them and the Russians on the other side. If they can overcome that and want to go into Crimea, only 2 roads exist and serve as a serious choke point if Ukraine tries to enter. Then you've got the borders of the DPR/LPR which have been militarised since 2014 and are likely some of the most fortified areas in the world. There will be no support of the local population in either Crimea/DPR/LPR either as most Ukrainians will have been left it already.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

I've stood on a few here already, and I felt like Brian in The Life of Brian mentioning Jehovah.

Even the sealions in the conspiracy theory forum threw in a few rocks when I was down lol I brushed myself off though.

Then I rose again and..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭greenpilot

Twitter and OSINT.

There is a tweet doing the rounds that highlights some "unusual activity" at Olenya airbase in Northern Russia. We are given the impression that something new is afoot. Here is the tweet:

However, for those who have watched RUS AF movements of Strategic bombers, such as the TU-95 "Bears" and TU-160, this is nothing new. It is from this base, Olenya, that many of the probing missions have been conducted, with regular flights sweeping down along the West Coast of Ireland, all with their transponders off.

Of course, Ireland does not have a primary radar, so it is up to the RAF to detect and deter any Russian strategic flights along our Seaboard.

Olenya is quite remote, in a heavily forested area, but perfectly positioned for the operation of such flights.

Looking at a satellite picture taken almost a year ago, one can see even more bombers present at the base than was indicated earlier this week.

Russias Airforce, while still very powerful, is not as advertised due to its training doctrine and the reluctance of Putin to commit large numbers of his valuable strategic forces to Ukraine. They are out there, Engles is full at the moment, 4 IL-76 AWACS are still on the Apron in Belarus and only in July, a flight of Blackjack were sent down to Venezuela. So why not use them? That is the big question. I have suggested why in earlier posts and it centres around their inability to fight an asymmetric war, something NATO excells at.

Then we have Russias only operational aircraft carrier. Used with disastrous results in the Syrian conflict and dogged with technical issues, it can now be seen tied up in Novorossiya and is essentially a building site, with work on it held up due to a raft of corruption investigations in connection to its contractors.

To those online warning that Russia has yet to unleash the full weight of the Airforce, I would say that this is not going to happen. The only weight we shall see referenced will be the out-of-shape pilots we have been seeing upon their arrival back to earth via parachute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Twitter can be as good or as bad as you want to be. Practically every journalist in the world is on and there are loads of subject matter experts willing to give their detailed opinions on matters. There's also no better place to follow a breaking story. At the same time, it's full of conspiracy theorists, crackpots and stooges for authoritarian regimes. So twitter itself isn't the problem but people should be careful what accounts they choose to amplify and not just promote a tweet because they hope that it is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭weisses

No sign, I suppose. But if a Russian source admits the village is taken and there's a video from Ukraine saying it's in their hands, we can have fairly high confidence it's true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Putin is looking for his end game. That could well be the case. He is losing badly and has no real hope of victory.

So far, at least four leaks in Russia’s Nord Stream pipelines 1 and 2 have been discovered, each at the surface resembling a boiling cauldron, the largest one kilometre across, and together spewing industrial quantities of toxic greenhouse gases into the atmosphere.

Russian naval vessels were seen by European security officials in the area in the days prior, Western intelligence sources have said. NATO’s North Atlantic Council has described the damage as a “deliberate, reckless and irresponsible act of sabotage.”

Russia is the most likely culprit for the sabotage, and Putin is likely trying to send a message: It’s a signal to Europe that Russia can reach beyond Ukraine’s borders. Nord Stream 2 was never operational, and Nord Stream 1 had been throttled back by Putin as Europe raced to replenish gas reserves ahead of winter. The Russian president is doing his best to hide it, but he is losing his war in Ukraine. The writing is on the wall.

as for the new 'recruitment campaign' of farmers and lorry drivers to be sent to war.

Independent Russian media quoting Russia’s revamped KGB, the FSB, put the total exodus even higher. They say more military-age men have fled the country since conscription – 261,000 – than have so far fought in the war – an estimated 160,000 to 190,000.

With all those farmers being conscripted it's no wonder Putin went and asked North Korea for a workforce that apparently has not arrived.

Dan.

interesting article. My take on this, war is horrible (no shît Sherlock) and no matter how bad it is for the Ukrainians it’s going to be multiples bad for Russian soldiers wondering WTF they are doing in Ukraine. The Ukrainian forces will know exactly why THEY are there.

Secondly, would the Ukrainians be better off heading towards Mariupol and blow the bridge to Crimea and cut off the Russian forces in Kherson and let them think on whether a warm POW camp was appealing rather than fighting Botox face’s war of pride.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

You might like to try https://www.bing.com/maps/ and compare it to Google, I think the satellite imagery is a bit sharper. Google's have nicer colours due to processing, but it looks like that processing has a cost.

It looks like some 4 of those overweight pilots were swapped back in a prisoner exchange in April, or thereabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I strongly agree with your final point. I think going into the LDR/DPR heartlands (The line joining Luhansk and Donetsk cities that takes in Horlivka and Alchevs'k) will be like nothing we have seen so far and I suspect that they will leave that to the very end.

As for Kherson I'd be more confident there. Yes, the front-line has not been moving much in the past few weeks but the simple fact remains that the Russians cannot fully resupply their forces and are constantly running down their resources. The more troops they add to that side the worse that problem will get. It was reported last week that they have already asked to retreat from there. If that's true they must be getting desperate. They could very well end up in a collapse/rout scenario if they persist on the west side of the river. Speaking of the river, after the Ukrainians liberate the west side they don't really need to attempt to cross it themselves if it would be too risky. They could just leave enough forces to defend the area, keep the bridge crossings destroyed, and then move units internally to the Donbass or the southern front in Zaporizhzhia.

Seems to me that the problem with the Russian air force isn't a lack of aircraft, it's a lack of precision munitions. The video above shows a Russian plane dropping dumb bombs on Ukrainian positions around Lyman a few days back. These types of video of planes dropping such bombs and helicopters firing unguided rockets into the air are common. Russians aren't putting these craft a such risk because they want to, it's because they have to.

It's obvious that the Russian air force strength was for propaganda. Putin invested his resources in being able to have a headline number of aircraft available that sounded impressive, but neglected to invest in the quantity of precision munitions required to equip them. All fur coat, no knickers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

The other day a poster suggested that Russia was preparing to officially declare war and mobilise 25 million soldiers.

Given the trouble they are having getting 'just' 300,000 in far-flung republic, surely such mass mobilisation would lead to internal protests on a far greater scale?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Over 60,000 orcs dead now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement