Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was the government right to put no limit on the amount of Ukrainian refugees in Ireland? Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Some people must be very very stupid if they couldn't work out the cost of accommodation, travel and food for a person for a week. But perhaps some people want to pretend that it doesn't happen.

Perhaps you can't. Sorry if so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

Minister McGrath came up with that estimate for the full year. Not me.

Huge' challenge to provide for refugees this year as State estimates €850m spend

Further funding will have to be sought for accommodating refugees from Ukraine and other countries, says minister......

https://www.thejournal.ie/ukraine-refugees-6-5879006-Sep2022/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

You are missing few thousands since yesterday, how do you do it?

60,000 and add in at least another 20k of refugees in just one year, 80,000 needing accommodation in a country with a world beating accommodation crisis.

Another Harry Potter.

When you’re in a hole, stop digging. You gave figures a few posts back that would give an average cost so far of €566 per head. Not the €800 to €1,000 you claim. Do the sums before posting will save your blushes!

Correction. On reading the actual article you so kindly quoted, it’s actually €386 a head average. Less than half you claim.

A Ukrainian MP has said she believes that many more refugees will flee Ukraine to other parts of Europe this winter "to physically survive" when the cold weather sets in.

Kira Rudik said she discussed this possibility with Taoiseach Micheal Martin yesterday and said it is very likely there would be "another wave of refugees" coming to Ireland.

"The Taoiseach said he knows it is a possibility and that the situation here is very hard and he said they will do all the possible and impossible things to deal with that," she said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

60k Ukranians to end of year. A lot more if things get even worse in Ukraine.

Up to 20k other asylum speakers.

850 million forecast spend this year.

Although for me its the nightmare of NO accommodation available for thousands of Irish and immigrants that is the real disaster.

I'm not blaming the Ukranians in particular, I would do the same if I was them looking for the best deal.

However I detest people who wilfully ignore this and eager to invite more asylum seekers here to make the situation worse and worse.

Gobshite politicians promise the world and spend taxpayers money like water while solving nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

This is what is so wrong with the country at the moment and why the country is heading down a bad road of no return.

Certain people, groups and organisations mainly NGOs see themselves as the protectors of the whole world, Good old Ireland the saviour of the free world. No matter what it costs.

Anyone who asks a question that they don't like is classed as a racist and now a sex starved local.

I wonder if I had mentioned the people who I suppose is meant to be servicing the locals would I Still be posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,332 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Yes and it is somehow marketed that Irish citizens should put up and shut up sure we’ve been all living lives of luxury, prosperity, affluence and decadence for decades… cheek of us…time to share with the Ukrainians and whomever else and everyone else next…. Sorry, not just share with them, prioritise them.

its a road of no return for sure….an abhorrent recklessness that will change the face and fabric of our existence in this country for decades.

They get accustomed to rules and regulations not being applied to them as well as skipping lines for everything from housing to healthcare.. that will just increase an already over burgeoning sense of entitlement from themselves, backers and enablers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

You know the politicians don’t really care about these refugees? How many have opened their own homes, how many will be impacted by public hospital waiting lists, care home shortages, housing lists or rental market shortages? It will be interesting to see who was awarded these hotel contracts. It’s all money for the boys, business as usual. The absentee landlords are no longer absentee, they’re sitting in the Dáil pushing policy that they profit directly from.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,332 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

All pretty much home owners, well they must be considering their salaries, private healthcare, own transport so no decisions will subvert their wellbeing … like it will the average Irish person…no decision they enable and which will go a ways to fûck over the rest of us will even slightly impact themselves, so they care not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

You do know the contract awards are public, yeah? They've actually been published here - or at least a link to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

There are certain standards required in order to continue operating as a nursing home, repairs and maintenance to be completed to meet those standards. The local nursing home told staff they couldn’t afford to complete repairs needed to continue as a nursing home. It was the easier option to get rid of the elderly residents and the staff.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Final warning. We do not want any of your anecdotes. That's what resulted in the earlier post being deleted. This thread is about Government policy on Ukrainian refugees

And you cannot interact in a civil manner do not post as you will be threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭creeper1

Private businesses will do whatever makes them the most money. You cannot blame them.

The blame lies at Leinster House and those who made it so financially rewarding to cater to Ukrainians.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Hamachi

I understand. It just seems pointless to lay the blame at the doors’ of people as witless as Helen McEntee and Roderick O’Gorman. It’s a sad fact, but our public representatives are of such low caliber, that they don’t have the intellectual capacity to understand the ramifications of their actions.

One look at McEntee’s gormless, vacant face tells you everything you need to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

I think it’s starting to sink in that noone cares anymore in this country.

You are on your own so try just look out for you and your family as best you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

The same Helen Mac Entee was interviewed on RTE News yesterday and referred to the Gardaí as the police . Honestly I expect the Minister to use the proper term for An Garda Siochana at very least

Depressing. She’s so out of her depth in that role, it’s quite frightening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭mattser

An Garda Síochána is the national police service of Ireland.

As if I didnt know that ! I am well aware of their role but no one refers to them as The Police . Their official title is An Garda Síochána , the Guardians of the Peace . Her very words when asked about the anti social behaviour in Cherry orchard were " I am sure the Police will deal with it " .Even my non Irish husband said did she actually call them the Police . At very least I expect a Minister for Justice to get the official name ( since 1922 ) right .

Can you imagine of the German Minister for justice was interviewed about anti social behaviour and he announced " Es wurd von The Police behandelt"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,574 ✭✭✭jackboy

Of course she is. She is our version of Liz Truss, high in ambition, low in intelligence. She and her colleagues don’t have the skills or motivation to plan refugee accommodation.

Like our minister for education Norma Foley or minister fir transport and environment Eamon Ryan or health Stephen Donnelly all totally out of their depth with no substance or experience . They all flounder about talking rubbish and do absolutely nothing

Nah - if it's a PLC, beholden to shareholders, then - technically, at least - you can't blame them as they're legally obliged to maximise profits for their shareholders. Still morally reprehensible.

If it's Landlord Class Ltd, a private company running a nursing home or three, or landlords of somewhere being leased by a charity to house the homeless, yes, you can absolutely blame them. They are, of course, the same people donating to their local FF cumann or FG branch.

Deliberate Government housing policy for the past several years has literally been to limit housing supply to increase profits for (big) landlords. It certainly looks like they've leveraged the Ukrainian crisis to accelerate that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

3 billion has been allocated to look after Ukraine refugees next year, imagine how that money could have been used even for just increased support for the elderly carers. Apparently the magic money tree has arrived and we can borrow limitless amounts until we’re asked to pay it back.

Have you got a link to that claim?

“The Government is setting aside €2 billion for 2023 for the costs related to Ireland’s response to the war in Ukraine. Some of this funding will be held in reserve and given to departments where needed. More than 50,000 Ukrainian people have so far been supported with accommodation, education and social protection supports.

In Budget 2023 documentation, the Government said that while uncertainty still remained in relation to managing the cost of supports, there was now significantly more data available on the number and flow of arrivals. The Government has said there has been a downward trend in arrivals in recent months, with the seven-day average in the range of 100-120 over the past month.”

”The Department of Children has modelled three scenarios in relation to the potential costs in 2023. Under the first scenario, a lower number of refugees would need support, in the region of 55,000, by the end of 2023. This would cost €1 billion-€1.6 billion. Under the second scenario, a medium number of 65,000 refugees would be in need of such support by the end of 2023. This would cost €1 billion-€1.8 billion. Under the final, higher case scenario, 75,000 refugees could need support which would cost €1 billion-€2.2 billion.”

https://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/2022/07/15/provision-of-accommodation-and-supports-for-ukrainian-refugees-to-cost-1-bn-this-year-minister-reveals/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

So only 2.2 billion? Can’t post link as on phone but google Ukraine 3 billion Ireland breaking news

• Registered Users Posts: 4,574 ✭✭✭jackboy

The higher scenario is far less than what we have been told to expect this winter by all those in power around Europe. Also, setting aside money is easy, actually planning for the eventuality is what is required. Our politicians will not do that planning and the money will eventually be used to enrich a small number of individuals. That’s what happened in recent times and will happen again this winter.

That was worst case scenario back in April. They have a clearer picture now.

• Advertisement

I wonder are there any projections related to returnees? As the picture becomes clearer and the temporary directive heads towards expiration, is there any modeling in place to evaluate the ‘permanent’ Ukrainian cohort we are likely to inherit when this crisis passes?

Advertisement