Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

South ring works and speed van

Options
  • 23-09-2022 5:29pm

Is anyone else confused about the speed zones at the moment, going westbound from douglas it drops to 80km and its well sign posted but going east off the kinsale road isn't. There is loads of cones but no visible change of speed but when you round the corner towards the second douglas exit there's a big 100km construction sign and a speed van beyond it clearly getting people before the 100km sign, I don't any 80km signs going eastbound. Does anyone here know, I was skeptical so I reckon I was about 82-83. I get the reduction on the opposite side as they laying the plinths for the footbridge

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

I am on that road a few times a day in both directions, the only side that the 80 is currently is on N40 West, the opposite side is still 100, not doubt as those works proceed it will also be reduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭EnzoScifo

was 80 going east from the top of the kinsale road flyover this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Both are 80kmh. There was only a day or two when westbound only was 80kmh.

I stick to the 80 whenever I'm along there now, that place is butter for the speed vans, especially as you come over the flyover eastbound.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

It absolutely is butter for the speed Van's as they are based in Ballycurreen only 5 mins away from the N40, one of the busiest roads in the country

• Registered Users Posts: 6,758 ✭✭✭zg3409

Speed vans can enforce road works speed limits and are actively encouraged to go to road works, even if no one is actually working there at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Schorpio

Speed vans would be of better use in the 60 zone around Dunkettle. Anytime I'm there, I seem to be the only one actually trundling along at 60.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,564 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Feck sake reckon I may have been caught yesterday evening eastbound by Douglas so. Didn't see any 80 sign and car was displaying a 100 limit on dashboard. Was wondering what the van was doing there alright - it's more often a little further west causing serious danger at Kinsale Road.

They're there all the time, at least coming from the Midleton side. In fact they sometimes have a second one to catch you if you speed up after the first.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

I come from the south link onto the south ring and it is 80 as soon as you round the corner for about 500 metres,in fact i went into the outside lane to pass an artic and saw the van up ahead in the 100 zone hoping i didnt get done.

I pass there mon to fri and van has been in the 100 zone not the 80.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

In the hundred zone, but is it looking at the 100 zone or is it looking at the end of the 80 zone?

I drove from the kinsale road roundabout yesterday and I don't see the 80km going east, it might be on the flyover but I didn't see it coming off the roundabout.

The van when I saw it was passed the 100km roadworks sign, it is def looking at the 80km zone just before you enter the 100km zone, it's too late when you see them, they position it that once you round the corner they have you. I was about 84km I think so hoping my speedometer is out a bit

The 80 is there as soon as you come from the kinsale road heading east think the van is only monitoring the 100 zone,was doing that before the works.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I definitely got caught today. Saw the sign for 100, and just past that was the speed van. I was in outer lane, probably doing 85-90 (definitely no more cos was way too slow for whoever was up my hole). Didn't recall seeing an 80 sign, bit of crossing traffic with lane changes so likely missed the sign. I was coming along n40 only, not merging.

I think you will be ok im sure the van is only in the 100 has to be as sign is there.

It looks like it's looking into the 80 zone part, but maybe it isn't.

Still didn't get anything in the door here but I would presume van is looking into the 80 from the 100 zone. I went back and checked - there is one 80 sign on one side of the road on the flyover heading east. Like you, I was probably too busy paying attention to the road and traffic conditions to notice it. My speed limit detector didn't 'see' it either. Compare it with the Dunkettle works - there is a pair of speed signs on each side of the road every few hundred metres - can't say you missed them all, and that's how Kinsale Road should be.

How long since you feel you may have been caught out? Yeah dunkettle has signs well in advance of what's coming ahead, this one is definitely lacking in information.

Fingers crossed nothing comes from it, be a right pain albeit self-inflicted

If its in the 100 zone id say legally can only catch you being over the 100.

Advertisement