Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry and Meghan - OP updated with Threadbanned Users 4/5/21

Options

Comments

The york girls are legends

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭DontHitTheDitch

Not in the World According To Buzzfeed. When you strip all context away, to Buzzfeed they are exactly the same thing and more proof the press are wascists.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,081 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

buzzfeed have never made out that both are the same.

i don't think buzzfeed need to provide any proof that parts of the british press have a problem with racism, those elements do that all by themselves.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭backwards_man

This made me laugh. Did she and Charles discuss what to do with their non working, ex-pat children's children? This queen said "I"ll go first." . Makes it easier for Charles to follow. They are not the only royals trimming their monarchy.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭cezanne

• Advertisement

This was great because at least Charles can offer the precedent for his decision not to bestow any titles on the california off spring. This would be classic and they couldnt really dispute it if it happens in another royal family they are not direct in line and they will not be raised as British instead they will be surfer dudes and drug addicts with mummy & daddy issues and a lot of anger...... just like their narc parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,047 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

It would also impact on the York girls, hopefully Charles goes one generation further and removes titles from the Hasbeen and Candle so they're not held back as "they build their life overseas". 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

I heard/saw different...😀 originally they are bread as herding dogs for cattle.. to control them they bit them in the feet. as corgis started to be the fashion dog in the 30's or so they started breeding with some 'good mannered' corgis😁 to eliminate the biting habit but it's still coming through if they are stressed. And that's what they did with the Queen...yes, imagine, they bit her in the ankles.😂 I think it's hilarious there's a very good documentary about it, I think I havn't laughed in front of the tv for so hard for a long time..she had to appoint a dog whisperer into Buckingham Palace to sort out the Corgi issue😂🤣 watch it, it's worth it

They got a lot of stick in fairness to them both - I mean their outfits were comical - but ya know what, they’re out the other side now- no matter how hard we might have laughed at them, they’re the ones laughing at us now- very comfortable financially, good ish public profile and likability - yep, they’ve done well and thankfully have survived their parents desperate actions over the years- a good example of what doesn’t kill ya…

• Advertisement

sorry, I forgot, I watched it in german and can only find it in german, but it's synchronised so it must be somewhere available in english on BBC or something like that. I attach in anyway, maybe someone can understand german. It's so interesting and entertaining I think. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhO-nUQakOA

• Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

The whole thing is distasteful. I don't agree with the concept of a monarchy, think it's outdated and disgusting but I feel for those kids and their dad. He was told in May that they'd be phased out when they turned 25 and would have to make their own money. No problem, eldest two are models. Then 5 days later they are publicly stripped and I'd imagine humiliated. She couldn't even give a good reason why other than "it'd be good for them". Those kids were raised as royals and to pull the rug out like this, so suddenly is cruel. I couldn't ever imagine my grandmother treating me differently from my cousins. She handled it very badly and will definitely cause a rift.

I also solved the story behind why Andrew is now the keeper of the corgis😁: the queen actually didn't had any corgis anymore for the last years because she wouldn't want to leave them behind when she dies.

the queen seemed to be very stressed out to Andrew in the last years (surprise, surprise, who was a main part of the problem...??) and he brought her two corgis as a present to help her relax (present of guilt..🙄). Muick and Sandy...she only kept them if he promised her to keep them when she dies...so he's sticking to his promise...

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭backwards_man

This had been on the cards for years. It was in May they were told it was finally going to happen. They are still family. Nothing has changed, they have their riches, they houses and their jobs. They only thing they cant now do is call themselves Prince and Princess and be deffered to as HRHs. They dont even live in Denmark. and they dont work for the monarchy anymore. What is the purpose of their titles other than to trade off. I dont understand why announcing it to the public, who literally pay for the monarchy, is wrong, or humiliating, or cold. She is still their mother/grandmother and I am sure she loves them dearly. But she is also the Queen of Denmark and owes it to the citizens of that country to tell them this type of news openly and publically. It should not be a humilation or a shock to the family who all knew it was coming. If their kids have been led to believe they are special and priviledged and will always have these titles then that is on their parents. They are richer beyond the dreams of many and will never want for anything in life. But yet the father wants more.

Same with H&M, Charles has been very public about his plans, it has always been on the cards for Harry, he even knew he had X amount of years before George turned 18. The entire dramatics when it eventually happens will be H &M desperatly trying to cling onto titles and priviledge that they are not owed.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I think fair play to yer wan in Denmark. If you have a hereditary system then it really only should be the direct line that is earmarked for the job. And the rest become (rich) normals. If any die or drop out then the titles can be granted and all that, but the reason you had such bloated royal families in the past was the high mortality rate historically for most of the past with the exception of the last couple of generations. So you needed the third brother or cousin in reserve. That mortality rate was worse if you consider all the wars and plots that took out many a duke who were within arms reach of the big job. The War of the Roses took half of all the noble lords out alone. Now that's slimming down a monarchy!

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

I've been researching the British royal family recently and the story of King Edward VIII reminds me of Prince Harry. I had never heard of him before, imagine giving up on the kingship for a twice divorced woman. He would have had 36 years as king and he gave it up for a woman. Although I suppose the Harry situation is different as he wouldn't be king anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

Came up in one of the FB groups I follow….

CASTING CALL NOTICE 📣

Robert Sterne, Casting Director of the Netflix series The Crown, is looking for a young actor to play Prince Harry in the next series. The deadline for submissions is Friday 14th October, 6pm.

How to apply:

1. Please title email when sending - THE CROWN CASTING CALL – HARRY

2. Name, age, date of birth and a current selfie

3. Where you heard about this casting call

4. Where you are based

5. If you are under 18 years please ask a parent or guardian for permission to apply and include their contact details in your submission.

6. Please attach with this a short video (no more than 30 seconds) talking about something you love doing. Close up on head and shoulders in good natural lighting, start by saying your full name, age and height. Direct from your mobile phone is fine (i-movie or android equivalent).

Please send your submission to the following email address ASAP!

casting@robertsterne.co.uk

DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS IS FRIDAY 14TH OCTOBER (6PM)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,938 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

There was already precedent as the king of Sweden removed the HRH from his grandkids who lived outside of Sweden which makes sense as if you want all the benefits(doing heavy lifting there) of being in a royal family then you need to live in the country of that monarchy. It’s probably the one thing that I’ve seen monarchs in Europe so that I agree with.

oh nooo. If this is true, Hasbeen isn't in the devaluation phase, at least not with Netflix. Will ignore it, not watching any Netflix anyway😊

• Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭valoren

Per the Courtiers book Meghan thought the "Wild about Harry" headline on Vanity Fair was racist. It being a song from a Judy Garland movie in 1939 which involved black face performers and totally not a likely reference to a Sun headline when Harry was born. She was also upset that the Vanity Fair piece focused too much on Harry. The magazine wanted to lean towards focusing on the Prince and not the D list actress no one has really heard of who is only on the coveted cover because of that same Prince? Completely delusional. The Bower book referenced a lack of focus on her humanitarian work because VF researchers couldn't find anything solid on that front.

She also reportedly complained about the photos, which are classic Vanity Fair-style, expensively produced using Peter Lindbergh, one of the top photographers in the world. I'm beginning to think nothing makes Meghan happy, absolutely nothing at all.

They're also gone from Sunshine Sachs as their PR. I guess they couldn't make her happy either. I guess when someone gets a cover like that and they perceive slights and express unhappiness then it could never be a long term arrangement.

Finally it's funny how these podcasts, book and streaming shows tout being honest and truthful but are reportedly undergoing edits, rewrites and changes since Liz kicked the bucket. These two are the "I didn't do it' boys of the Royal family. They need the gossip, tattle, tea and accusations to remain relevant and sustain interest. Neutering or toning down their content will lose them whatever interest people still have in them. All they will have left is Twitter bots, internet trolls and balmpots and the Daily Mail flogging a dead horse.

Post edited by valoren on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭JoChervil

Well, there were rumours that they didn't want a Nazi supporter on the throne and a romantic storyline was only a convenient excuse, not a real reason.

They should have listened to history Americans dont fit into the royal family and are best avoided and also second son should have an arranged marriage to keep the royal houses safe from grifters !

given the rf in general are effectively a grift then the whole lot would have to go if the royal houses are to be kept safe from grifters.

they were correct not to listen to history on this one, the world moves on thankfully, and only a small few who did get a temporary high profile and who will soon lose it and who are thankfully becoming irrelevant as time moves on have issues with americans in the RF.

arranged marriages in the RF aren't exactly a good idea either as has been shown with charles and dianna as an example (well it was as good as being an arranged marriage really)

”their” social media seems to be more Meghan-centric

I dare say, in light of all that’s going on in the world we do need some light relief so sorry Megs and Harry, you’re it.😂

Between them moving to another mansion in LA and the “spill the beans” book deal in doubt, this thread will keep me sane for the winter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

I think the book is cancelled, his family paid him off. Blackmail wins the day, and the shiny new house. Harry will still be miserable though, no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭Be right back

While I’d never spend money on it I’m actually enjoying reading the extracts from The Courtiers serialised in the Times and Mail - from what I’ve read so far it does feel like a well researched and credible book.

It also highlights the fact that H&M behaved like two spoilt brats- there’s too many consistent accounts from multiple sources to think otherwise- The RF nor The Press hounded them out of the UK like they want us to believe- they Wanted to go - they didn’t want the life of service- fine, but they’re twisting the facts now to suit their own narrative and I’m not buying it.

I hope Harry’s book does get published unedited so that we can see just how much of a moaning multi-millionaire he has really become- he’ll get very little pity

a small element of the press and it's behaviour had a massive effect on swaying them to leave the uk, that is very clear and there is no doubt on that.

the same elements are now throwing the toys out of the pram and are engaging in fo outrage.

• Advertisement

I don’t agree at all- it’s a false narrative they’re trying to pedal and it’s well past its sell by date - Megan is a complete control freak and has been way before she hooked up with Harry. She’s totally about “brand Megan” and wants to control each and every aspect of how she is seen to live- from the hotels she stays in (she avoided staying in the Dorchester because it was owned by the Sultan of Brunei ) to the food she eats to the way she was portrayed in Vanity Fair magazine --the RF arrangement with the UK press didn’t at all suit her agenda or match her way of working. She’s an impossible woman to please on this basis- if herself and Harry put as much work into their charities as they did chasing after press reports they didn’t like, they’d be a far more likeable couple.

Advertisement