Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar for Beginners [ask your questions here]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I'm not an expert and you may get a more qualified answer, but the limitations is likely to be with the amps the inverter can handle.

However, lights and cooker, or lights and shower, or lights and oven will be fine I'm sure, the issue is with the big 4 unit consumers in the house, oven Cooker kettle and shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Run away from that installer in case it's down to his dodgy build.

I have a smaller system and run all house power bar the electric shower when sun is shining. Base load of hose maybe 500w dishwasher can go to 2.5, washer and dryer maybe peak at 2kw it depends on the part of the cycle.

In general i am turning on things to try and use it on sunny days not turning things off!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Punchin A Keyboard

I would think it's more of the installer not explaining it very well. The inverter has a maximum limit it can supply which is determined by the model of the inverter itself and how much power the panels are producing at that time which can dramatically differ at different times of the year. Of course you will pay more for an inverter than can output more but the panels have to be there to support bigger inverters.

Irrespective of how much power is being produced, the ESB has limited the maximum output of an inverter on domestic single phase supply to 6KW in this country.

That figure is significantly less than you can draw from the grid through your consumer unit/main fuse.

The point is that with some research you should be able to get some more realistic expectations on the limitations of solar power in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Gerry

This is the bugbear I have.. where can I get an 8c night rate? maybe if Energia will replace my smart meter with day/night?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭loopymum

I've seen a few posts asking about immersion times for using night rate on the thread & a couple of others.

Recently got an immersion after never having one in this house & it was just fitted with a fused spur.

After researching I purchased a 15amp Sonoff Powr2 Switch & connected it up myself. The Powr4 wasn't available when I bought. That's a 20amp which is probably better suited to the more continuous high load. It's only a single 3kw immersion.

It was extremely easy to fit. I practised on an old bit of electrical lead first. Obviously make sure you isolated the power& switched it off at the fuse.

Connect it up using the ewelink app,which in turn I have connected to alexa & Google.

Scheduled to heat only on nightrate.

It also has inching which I have set at 30 mins so if anyone turns it on it will turn off the immersion after 30 mins regardless which is great when you have 3 teens & 2 absent minded parents.

I also have the scheduling set to take this into account & give it 5 to 10 mins in between heating the immersion as its only a 15amp to avoid possible issues.

It also monitors consumption. We use an average of 555kw a week heating the water for 5 of us. In saying that we also use the gym & shower there when possible.

The teen girls are the worst culprits by far. Will shower till its stone cold.

Its a 250l tank & the immersion is half way.

Our previous tank burst & that had a heat pump attached which took great from the underfloor heating at 330w.

It was very slow & should have had an immersion to boost it really.

We had planned on fitting the mini heat pump as well as the immersion but we couldn't get the same again so when the tank came it looked quite narrow for it & we would have had to take it to a steel fabricator to make it for. Plumber reckoned at least 400 euro & I wasn't sure it was worth it so its sitting in the attic for the moment.

The new tank also has coils that are connected to the underfloor heating so it's bringing the bottom of the tank to about 23 degrees at this time of the year anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭spose

The sums on an eddi is dependent on point in time and your set up. In my case I think I paid for mine in 3 years but that’s based on diy install, oil heating and no night rate. In the long run it likely will pay for itself especially if big family and high water users. Any Fit increases are unlikely to keep pace with rate increases, a lot of people will hit the tax cap so Fit rate will effectively be halved on the rest. I think guidance should be don’t get one if you have electric showers as your water usage wouldn’t be high enough to get the benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

You could get it up to about 3-4 weeks ago - a good few of us jumped on that. Fixed for 12 months too! Since then (Oct 1st) the rates have gone up, but you can still get ~10cents via Energia.

Price Plans - Energia

I'm on the EV price plan with a day/night meter, and no.....I don't have an EV! (No mention of asking/proof required, just signed up online and that was that)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭con747

I have my Triton T90sr set to use just one element and the 2 Puredrive batteries I have can handle the power draw and the water is hot enough, so it doesn't draw from the grid.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,317 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Demon electric shower, LOL! Yes most of them use 9 or 10kW which seems huge, but if you use very little hot water it could make sense. If you're on your own or a couple using 5 minutes showers, it's fine. But you don't want to have a bunch of teenage daughters who like to have 30 minutes showers. Sometimes twice a day 😁

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

If you are in May and full sun you should be close to generating 6kW. This will be enough to cover your house load and the oven with no probs whatsoever unless you have some mad fancy oven. 6kW is a lot of energy at your disposal.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Manion

A question I should have checked earlier, but does the inverter need to be wired all the way back to the consumer unit? I had the impression once there was access to a circuit it would be fine.

I'm now wonder about the best placement of the inverter as the consumer unit is in the middle of the house.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭redmagic68

Is there a maximum distance the batteries can be away from the inverter. Does it lose efficiency the further away it is for example? Is say 3 or 4 meters ok?

8.4 kwp east/west Louth,6kw sofar, 9.6kwh batt

My inverter is in the upstairs of the Man cave. Our CU is also in the middle of the house

Theres 10sq wire wire ran from the inverter to the CU. 25 meters of. It's tidy and convenient for where I want it, allows me lots of room for expansion of batteries or a second inverter (if i cant get a handle on this new found obsession)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭DC999

Ship has sailed on that rate. I called Energia last week. New night one will be around 12.98c with price rise in early Oct. Day around 43c

• Registered Users Posts: 65,317 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Battery is relatively low voltage, so needs to be as close to the inverter as possible (the higher the voltage, the lower the losses). You see a max of 2 meters mentioned regularly in forums. Distance from panels to inverter and distance from inverter to consumer unit is far less important

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭redmagic68

8.4 kwp east/west Louth,6kw sofar, 9.6kwh batt

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Ohh, I might grab one of them.. or 2 for a project I'm doing.

Sonoff I think can be easily reflashed to tasmota too I think (for the home assistant nerds like me)

A little bit of smart (or even dumb timers) can go a long way.

Have you just got to the point of not even thinking "is there enough hot water?"

Although the mrs still asks me "is there enough for a bath?" and I dont even look anymore,, its a yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭cobham

Our installation is stalled at moment, waiting on a part. We ordered Eddi as will have excess with 16 panel set up and thought nice to have it stored there rather than export. But having a wobble as am told we will lose the timer control for immersion that we presently have and use daily ( 30 mins or less is enough for two showers with sink element.) A dull day here today and maybe nothing would go to water heating. I am told there is a boost button on the Eddi but that is for an hour and not on timer? We have boost on gas boiler too. I never could decide if gas was more efficient for that small amount of water so had stuck with electric to waterheat. The timer with 15 minute slots that we have at the moment seems so uncomplicated especially with other people visiting the house. It is located in the hotpress and has override 'on/off' setting as well. Can the Eddi be added at a later date without too much trouble?

You can set timer on the eddie, from your phone or you can boost also for periods of you chosing. Works same as timer but easier to control as you can set it if you're away to com on for a specific tone or just boost it for 15min or half an hour.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Theres a timer on the eddi.

If you have the hub/app you can set a 7 day schedule too. Possibly from the UI of the eddi aswell

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

As others have said there is a timer and it's very easy to use, you can control both elements independently and choose days of week to set time from either the App or face of the unit. The boost comment is also misleading, you can boost via the App or face of the EDDI unit and the default time is an hour but you can change to any time period e.g. half hour or three hours very easily.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

All set for for final installation tomorrow... they were short of clamps for the battery. 🤞 Thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭DC999

Sweet, nearly there. Can take a few days or more for it all to be setup. Sparks need to follow the roofers. I assumed it was all done in a single day and never asked them.

Oh the roofers were here 3 days and did a certain amount of wiring so await the arrival of the Electrician, he seems the prima donna of the team. I think there is a learning curve in this gang as the bossman is getting his team trained in! So inverter, battery and Eddi are all in their boxes still. Leap of faith to go with this lot as were able to offer me Sept date and assured all items in stock! We took note of distant dates and parts shortages with others.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Markbro1

I've previously asked this but didn't get any reply so trying again! I've an install in November so trying to educate myself.

Is the solar install still grant compliant if a socket is wired to the EPS socket of the 6kw Solis inverter?

If so can this be a sub board with 4-5 circuits connected?

In a blackout does the EPS power from the panels and/or battery or just battery?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭idc

Thats pretty normal, company I had the roofing team came out first and literally only did the panels on the roof (and i expect just the wiring in through the roof) but then a day or two later the electrician team took over and they did all the install of inverter/batteries/eddi etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭idc

Under current wiring rules my understanding is the panels are meant to be disconnected in a power cut (as this is how fireman remove power in a fire). This stops the live DC circuits on the roof but you could have a subboard installed to the EPS and you now have random live sockets/light circuits in the house which the firemen would not know which is live and which is not. Thats the part of this rule I don't get you just stop one source of electricity but leave another live coming from battery??

The live backup from the battery isn't wired into the house electrical system. It is separate. It's to be used as essentially an extension lead type supply from your inverter powered by your battery. Its one source of electricity that is at no point connected to any other wiring of the house which would be absolutely not permitted

As for wiring a sub board, I wouldn't see the point of doing this. The inverter will trip out if you overload the backup supply so you're not running cooker dishwasher etc and all you lights and tv. It's an emergency back up for some lights, charging cables, the TV etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

The inverter is powered (mostly) by AC. The "Fireman switch" kills the AC feed into the inverter, so all that's it's got left is the DC from the battery, which it will invert into AC for the EPS.

Your right, if someone creates a path out from the EPS to the sub board, and from there out to the Grid - that's part of the whole problem that the Fireman's switch is trying to prevent. (the other problem is that it wants to potentially avoid having a long run of DC from the panels to the inverter which a fireman may put an axe into)

If someone wires up a seperate swap over switch which takes power from the EPS to a subboard, or even the main fuseboard - then they should be doing "due diligence" to make sure that the house is isoalted from the grid.

To your question. Would it be grant compliant if there was a single/dual socket wired to the EPS? I would say yes (although I'm not SEAI). If you were getting "fancy" with swap overs and running cables back to the fuseboard.......I doubt it. Simply put the SEAI guy isn't going to start investigating how you have wired it, chasing cables, doing line continuity tests that you have it "right".

Advertisement