Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marathon Improvers Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

DCM 2008 3h29m50s

Going out with the 3h30 pacers and hope to get a PB!

Ran a ten minute positive split last time. 1h40 half followed by a 1h50 second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

What was your build up like for that? Did you have a good block?

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

A couple of 50K's, 2 100K's (1 DNF) and EcoTrail thrown in between 2020-22. PB was Dublin '19 which was my BQ.

Target for DCM is something <3:20. Plan is to let the 3:20 pacers keep me honest at least until Castleknock and see how I feel from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Regarding long runs - like everyone else on Hanson's the longest they go is 3x16. This came up in conversation with my physio and a couple of other runners and they all paused and gave me a look which kinda said "are you sure you know what you're doing 'cos that can only lead to disaster". It's given me a little pause for thought but I haven't changed anything yet. It's a couple of weeks before the first 16 miler anyway.

PB - 3:48 DCM 2019 as part of the novice crew

Target - 3.25 Valencia 2022 (ok, honestly I'm hoping more for a 3.22 - 3.23 but would settle for <3.30)

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Everybody says that about Hanson and fail to think of the millions and millions of people that were successful using it, me included.

I've ran two marathons, a 3'36 in Dublin using the Boards plan and a 3'10 in Manchester using Hanson. Hanson was the man in contributing factor to that 26 min PB.

The only real change I made to the plan was run one 16 to somewhere between 17-18m. Mainly because I was doubting the plan, which looking back on it was silly thinking running 1ish extra mile would have any impact on the plan.

I'd really recommend reading the book, I did this before commencing the plan again. It's really more clear to me now what the plan is training to achieve the way it's structured.

• Advertisement

I think people who raise their eyebrows haven't read the book and haven't experienced those 16m runs, which we know are run 30s+ faster than the usual 20 mile "LSR" pace at the end of a 60 mile week.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Hanson rocks, the method works, trust it! Not need to juice it up at all. My own PB (and the virtual PB) were Hanson-based, easily the best marathon I've ever run. Not using the method this year but only because I wanted to try something different after a few years of Hanson.

Marathon history (racing only - have paced a few more, officially and unofficially)

• 2012 Dublin 4:02
    • 2013 Dublin 3:46
    • 2014 Berlin 3:36
    • 2015 Cork 3:29
    • 2016 Boston 3:44
    • 2016 Cork 3:32
    • 2016 Dublin 3:28
    • 2017 Dublin 3:22:11 (PB)
    • 2018 New York 3:29
    • 2019 Dublin 3:29
    • 2020 Dublin (Virtual) 3:21 ?

Target for Chicago next week is 3:19:xx.

Very consistent improvement over a good number of years, well done.

Was the small regression in Boston based on an external factor?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,048 ✭✭✭✭event

Got out for my 22m LSR today. No pain in the ankle which is a huge relief, definitely had to be the Saucony Speeds. Using Asics GTs for the full now.

22m @ 08:29.

First 14 were at about 8:45 then did 6 miles at MP and then back to 8:45 for the last two.

LSR next week will be Friday due to work commitments. Plan is 20m and I want at least 10m at MP. I did feel pretty tired today doing the MP so slightly worried how I'll be for the day but need to trust myself I reckon.

Plan is to go with the 3:30 pacers on the day and see what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

I felt a bit the same towards the end of my faster miles yesterday but was telling myself that we’ll be so refreshed from the taper and not running on tired legs that it will be a very different kettle of fish on marathon day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Went with the 35km today. Will do 32, with last 16 at MP next week (fingers crossed). Felt decent on the run, tired now but legs holding up ok.

Another one that'll be tailing the 3:30 pacers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

I was young and inexperienced! 28 years old. Pretty new to running. Think my longest runs were an 18 and a 22 miler. Race went reasonably well. Drank the energy drinks on course and think I had 1 gel. I think I'll hit the 3h30 mark this time but won't be devastated if it's 5 minutes out. Would love to do a proper winter and focussed 18 weeks and hit a 3h10 next year. I've entered the Berlin and London lotteries!

I'd like to think so. Away marathons are difficult at the best of times but Boston that year was unusually warm hot and most of our travelling group posted disappointing times. But having said that, I also think I overtrained and when I see the pre-race photos now I don't look great, too gaunt. Hoping to avoid that this year but I always struggle actually with race week nutrition and just trying to keep the weight from dropping too much in the final weeks.

Hopefully this week goes well and we might get a chance to a beer on Sunday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭chabsey

Here's my history of marathoning for what it's worth:

2015: DCM - 3:30 (no plan followed, started with a couch to 5k earlier that year and kept going)

2018: DCM - 3:15 (Hansons - got my target time but was wrecked at the end)

2018: Florence - 3:20 (lashed rain for pretty much the entire thing so knew a PB was off the cards)

2019: DCM - 3:33 (didn't really follow a plan or train properly so was happy enough with that time)

2022: Amsterdam - 3:10 is the aim but training has been a bit of a mess so we'll see.

2022: DCM - ??? No idea, it's two weeks after Amsterdam so I'll just run it for fun.

My Decathlon belt arrived earlier too. Anybody know what all the little loops with plastic things hanging off it are for?

Ha - I think they are just little pull tabs to make it easier to pull open the pockets as they are quite fiddly otherwise. Discovered this morning that this is the easy way to open while running! Definitely not a key holder as there is actually a little hard plastic keyring clip inside for this. I road tested mine again today with seven gels - very snug and comfortable so definitely will be in the Chicago gear bag. The keyring clip also helped me figure out which side was the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

ran a half at the weekend, wanted to test out a few things

1 was to see where i was after covid and the answer is back to normal, ran it more or less at full race pace and had no issues

2 was to run 21.2k in the endorphins which i hadnt done yet, went ok to a point, the instability seems to affect my lower calves and tendons so by the end of the race it was starting to sting a bit, and has been tight as a drum until today really, havent ran since sunday, will prob leave it til tomorrow, so i think the endorphins are off the list for dublin , i dont think il get through the full marathon in them

weather was too kind to really test out clothing options but from the look of it tarmonbarry on sunday will give me plenty of chance,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭FinnC

Anyone else heading to Longwood on Sunday? Looking forward to it, have heard all good things about it.

Will most likely split run up into MP and easy Kms. Something like 2 or 3km MP 1km Easy etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

It’s a brilliant belt. Yes I figured what those plastic things were for once I wore it and the key ring is great for my car keys which I won’t have in Dublin. I still wear my flipbelt for every other run but this is ideal for the soft bottles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

It may have been mentioned above previously but dont see it. Any chance you put up a link of which decathlon belt you are referring to please. ? I'm not convinced on my current belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Sandwell

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

I was in Decathlon the other day and there were a good few size 3 and 4 belts available for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

I got one too and they are great 👍

I didn't realise what the little tabs were for but I'll try this out at the weekend.

I'm a 34 and size 4 fits me perfectly.

Ah, back to the belt again! 😁

30-in waist here, size 2 is perfect on me. Thought it was too small at first but it's so snug fitting, worn over the top of the shorts aligned with the waistband that it feels like part of the shorts. The only thing I'd be slightly worried about is the 'step-in' nature (no buckles) which means there's no way to remove (should the need arise) it without stopping, so make sure to get the size right - too tight would not be a good thing. This also makes it slightly more difficult to try on too - if trying on in the shop, try to wear something approximating the thickness of your racing shorts.

And test, test, test, with as full a load as you will be carrying on the day.

• This is probably the best race vlog video I've seen if anyone needs any extra motivation for Dublin. Serious energy and serious times.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,048 ✭✭✭✭event

Will watch that later. Been struggling for motivation last week or so, only gotten out for 4 miles this week (plan is 10 later, 6 tomorrow and 20 Sunday) and then it's in to the taper. The dark and wet mornings are tough to get going in I find, especially for me

• Registered Users Posts: 9,674 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Just watched that ....it brought back some great memories of 2012 for me, and also some mild PTSD symptoms due to my complete and utter detonation in the last few miles 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Wottle

Charlie Spedding's book "From last to first" is great for motivation, a cracking read.

Advertisement