Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda recruitment - mental health issues

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,977 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The delivery may have been shít, but the point is valid: high stress jobs like being a garda are no place for anyone who is fragile.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭JKerova1

Unfortunately I would have to agree with you there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

They are not really for anybody with common sense. I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would choose to be a Garda. Are there any positives at all?? Crap money, very stressful situations and the things you see on a day to day basis would scar you forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭JKerova1

Yeah you sum up the job pretty well. I suppose some would consider it a vocation, there are some people out there who just want to be gardai from a very young age. There are some benefits. You can be earning very decent money after a while, especially if you move up the ranks. But you have to put up with earning very little initially. The garda health care is regarded as one of the best there is, along with the prison officers. But aside from that there probably isn't much to recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭sudocremegg

I work in the emergency services and quite frankly I believe if you have your act together, and have a strong head you will be fine. Depression, anxiety and previous mental health problems that are now under control are no big deal. The very large proportion of people in the emergency services have some form of PTSD, stress, depression or will develop them and they still do a brilliant job. A lot of people are on anti-depressants or seeking therapy in the ES. I know people in the ES who were previous drug addicts or alcohols. I know people in the ES who were still working while alcoholics.

Ignore all the civilian fools here who have painted whatever picture of how the ES candidate should be in their head. As long as you aren't going to break down in a heap during training, or when dealing with a very high adrenaline incident then you will be okay OP.

My honest to gods advice? Don't tell them anything about your previous mental health issues. This advice has been trotted out by so many of my colleagues to people wanting to join with the same concerns, and the same for the defense forces.

Even if you told them you have anxiety/depression you should be fine as long as you aren't on medication like valium or opiates, or have serious mental health issues like BPD, bipolar or whatever.

Depression and anxiety is common as dirt. Go for it if it's what you desire.

• Advertisement
Advertisement