Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model 3 - V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭bilasy

I think that answers my query , I was under the false impression that all EV have D/B drive modes( under different names…etc) and yes gradually I’m getting used to it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Newbie question on charging. Pulled in to a 50kw charger at circa 60%.Had been driving for 20 mins prior to this.

Charge started no problem. Came back 25 mins later to 8kw added to car.

Seems a bit slow? Or just because battery soc was already high ish?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Sounds like you connected to a 22kW charger rather than the larger CCS.

Stay Free

That's what I thought too till I checked the ecars app.

No one was on the chademo charger so power shouldn't have been split between two cars.

It's odd

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭eagerv

It's slow alright, but often chargers aren't working as they should. Nest time wait a few moments till car ramps up properly then check the car screen to see the charging power (kW). Should be 40kW + on that machine.

Edit, I see you were at 60% when starting, but still should be faster than you got. I have seen 40kW at 90% on the RWD.

• Advertisement

Its grand, will check next time and keep an eye on it on my phone.

Luckily I had enough to continue on up the road so was grand.

In the 25 mins I was away, I went from a choice of 3 chargers to a queue building with all 3 in use.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Ecars have a bill pay option too. Not just PAYG.

40-100% is wasted time.

Also, i Assume new RWD as SR+ no longer available.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭JOL1

We have a MOD3 and an ID3 (2 EV family) . You have figured it ourtnow. The ID has two modes (D&B). D is normal driving and taking foot of accelerator is like any ice car. B is VW's optioo to trigger regen and it is much more gentle than Tesla regen. Personally I noticed the difference when i got the MODEL 3 first but now I much prefer the Tesla set up which for 90% of driving is one pedal driving and never need the brake.

I think you will get to like it

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mc2022B2TF

@drver1 any chance of sharing what u were invoiced for? Even in a DM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭ADSLUSER

Any thoughts on how good the paint job is on Teslas these days? Would you use an auto car wash or stick with hand wash? Saw two Teslas queuing up in an auto car wash, using the soft bristle types the other day.

• Advertisement

IMO the paint on Teslas these days is as good/bad as other makes.

I personally would not use an auto car wash on my present/previous cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

Quick one, has anyone used a seatbelt extender? Need one for a booster seat behind the driver as the buckle is very hard to engage for a 7yo with seat protectors and I’m assuming they are standard fit? The middle belt buckle is not used but is the wrong size which would be handy

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I don't have a Tesla but all other cars there is one bolt holding them in so i assume a Tesla is the same change the middle buckle with the one that accepts the seat belt.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

The paint nowadays has significantly improved but it is still a “soft” paint. Like many other brands out there.

I personally wouldn’t bring a 99 Micra to an auto wash, never mind a €50k car.

I bought them for my 2 kids here

They work great and also got fixed the constant beeping when they weren't in the car.

I'm very happy with them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

Thanks think I’ll go down the extender route as I may still need the middle belt operational from time to time

Planning a trip from Dublin to Belfast but weary of lack and broken chargers up North. Any advice for day trip to Belfast city to avoid finding chargers. Is it sufficient to charge in Castlebellingham on the way up and down to avoid charging in Belfast? I wish the Super charger in Belfast would be up and running but looks like it delayed until Q1 2023. Thx

I mean u wouldn't be far off making it up and down to Belfast without charging depending on where in Dublin ur coming from.

But a 15 minute stop in castlebellingham on the way home and you'll be grand. I think stopping on the way will be a waste of time but it all depends on what the total number of kilometers you'll be driving

Thanks, that’s what I was hoping with one stop on the way back. I would be driving from south Dublin. On Google maps, estimating 190km each way. I don’t expect to do too much driving in Belfast, stop by Lisburn, Victoria square and a little driving in the city. Driving a M3 RWD LFP. Would driving at 100km help me push further with range and some preconditioning before start if it’s a cold day?

Yes driving at 100 would help vastly. I do 110 myself and I achieve good efficency driving at that speed.

If u drive at 110 you'll make it back to castlebellingham no problem

But as always just throw the round trip in the maps just to be sure.

Yes make sure u plug in overnight and precondition for your departure as the precondition takes it from your power supply and not the car battery

Before u leave for home just make sure the sat says u have enough juice to get to CB but I really cannot see how you won't.

And only charge enough at cb to get u home with a bit to spare. No point in going to 100% and arriving home with 70%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Just park in castlecourt shopping centre. They have a lot of free chargers near the top floor. Some Tesla only ones and then a bank of generic ones. Never had an issue plugging in at any time of the day I've been there.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Bovakinn

I went from Carlow to Belfast last week in my RWD, stopped in Castlebellingham on the way up, in the time it took me to eat I was back at 99%, and from there I was able to get to Belfast, back down to Bray and then a quick stop in Sandyford before heading back to Carlow.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Nice post, if they are en route you really have zero worries using the SuC network

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Plan your trip so that you don't have to rely on the charging network in Northern Ireland. If you do get a charge treat it as a bonus and not a given..

We went up to the Christmas market in Belfast last December (don't bother, it's sh1t), and took on enough charge in Castlebellingham to make it back to Castlebellingham southbound later that day (and I'm in a 2020 SR+ with 409km WLTP). We planned on parking in Castlecourt shopping centre where there are about 7 chargers. We arrived into the carpark about 20 minutes after it opened and all chargers were available (there's 3-4 Tesla only destination chargers (11kW)), so plugged in.. when we returned about 2-3 hours later all chargers were occupied, and some EV's were parked in the spaces opposite (so they obviously came looking for a charge)... We left at 97% and drove all the way home without needing the stop in Castlebellingham (but crucially had we not got on a charger in Belfast, we still had enough to make it back to Castlebellingham anyway).

You are in an LFP RWD (not sure what year but you have more range than me), so charge up to 90%+ in Castlebellingham and don't worry about anything else. Don't slow down to preserve battery, speed limits all the way. If you see an opportunistic charge up in NI, take it, but don't sweat it if you don't get the charge.... as long as you have more than 50% battery when you arrive in Belfast, you know you're easily making it back to the Supercharger with range to spare...

If you plan on parking in Castlecourt, my advice would be to arrive there early enough after they've opened for best chance to get an available charger.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

And only charge enough at cb to get u home with a bit to spare. No point in going to 100% and arriving home with 70%

for 2 years and 7 months, I've done the complete opposite to this... even yesterday I arrived at 17% and only need about 30% to make it home, but still went up to 95%.....

That all changes however on October 20th..

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

Out of curiosity, do you guys follow any specific charging best practices in terms of when to plug in? I follow the 100% once per week and such, but I dont really cover any long distances, so I'm unsure when to plug in. Generally a charge lasts me a week with about 30-40% left, so I plug in once a week back to 100% to align with Tesla LFP recommendation. Would it be advisable to let it drop further, before plugging in? I could probably get 10 days of range or more easily.

Dont run it to zero, charge it to 100 every week or so.

Rest will take care of itself for LFP, the battery chemistry is pretty forgiving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Virgil°

Just got a motorway tag for my model 3 from tolltag. Don't really want to mount it on the glass because i really like the clean uncluttered feel of the cabin.

Saw a vid of some guy who mounted inside the armrest but don't know if that works with my specific tag. Anyone got some good advice for a clean mounting point for the tag?

I mounted mine up as high as possible just to the right of the mirror/sensor plastic housing. I don't notice it, is not in my eye line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Unless it's on the glass, it either won't work at all, or won't work sometimes. I have also mounted mine same as @eagerv has. You won't even know it's there. If only our tax and insurance certs were as easy to put out of the way.

Stay Free

Advertisement