Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Bay Packers Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Second not much better

• Registered Users Posts: 19,466 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Afraid it panned out more or less as expected.

There was only one team in it.

in general the Packers body language was terrible, seemed to drag themselves around while the Vikes were bouncing around, making the difficult catches, the hard runs , even watched Z Smith on the sidelines ‘geeing up’ everybody while the Packers sat glumly in their seats.

Next week at home will tell a lot but a huge change needed.

I think we are in for a roller coaster season.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭boccers

Terrible start but the combination of missing Lazard, Bak and Jenkins and with Tonyan looking like he was on a snap count meant it was always going to be tough especially for Rodgers. Any team missing their LT and RT are going to struggle no matter who is QB. They probably should have gone more to Jones and Dillon as they were getting a bit of joy but even as poorly as they played they still left scoreable chances out there and it could have been closer. After the first two plays I thought the rookies actually did pretty well.

What to say about the defence though. I know its hard for one person to follow a player on every play but surely Jaire should have been opposite Jefferson more than we saw yesterday. It's like they didn't know he was a top 3 receiver.

The way the Vikes knifed thru the Packers defense in the first drive of the game was indeed worrying.

Way way too easy, had to say ,I think it was that first drive I watched for the first third down play from the Vikes with interest.

I felt this would tell a lot, would the Packers be gouged down the middle as they usually are or would they get an important stop.

Down the middle between the hashes, easy conversion by Jefferson in memory serves me.

Nothing changed much I said and settled in for a long night.

I'm still pretty confident that the defence will turn out to be good barring too many injuries (Barnes looks like he will miss a good while so that's one down already). Its harder to know about the offence. Rodgers was definitely poor by his standards but how much of that was down to the O Line we will see when (hopefully) the two tackles return.

I do wonder how would things have differed if Watson had caught that first pass for a walk in touchdown.

One positive from yesterday was there were no massive special teams issues so long may that continue.

• Advertisement

12 is taking a bit of heat over the performance last Sunday. Justified it would appear.

Its only the second week next Sunday and it’s perilously close to a ‘must win’ game given its a divisional opponent at home.

Im confident of a win, they can’t be as bad as last week.

Good win against the Bears….servicable but I wouldn’t be getting too excited.

We can’t expect #33 and #28 to carry that load all season. Opposition teams will cop onto that and scheme to prevent it.

Would need to get a lot more through the air. I realise there are new receivers but the NFC North won’t be a walk in the Park this year.

9-8 is about the best I can predict at this stage.

I hear what you are saying but I would be pretty sure the Bears knew #33 and #28 were going to get a lot more work compared to week one and they couldn't stop it. MLF and Rodgers both said it all week too. Obviously Jones isn't going to have those numbers every game but he is well capable of it as we saw a few seasons ago.

The much maligned run defence is still a big issue but the secondary was much better. It will obviously be a different kettle of fish this week against Tampa but Mike Evans being out helps. Is Fields much better than Jordan Love? Probably not at this stage.

I think 9-8 is a bit pessimistic but it all depends how the new receivers work out. They can probably make the playoffs relying on Watkins, Lazard, Cobb etc but if they want to go further they will need big impacts from Watson and Doubs.

Also saw the highlights of the Vikings Eagles last night and its amazing what you can achieve by not leaving a top 3 receiver in the league wide open.

Indeed, but the Bears are not a good team and have a young inexperienced QB.

As you say Tampa away will tell us a lot, Can we get to Brady? Can we stop the run? Can the O stay on the field?

The way Montgomery knifed thru the Packers D in the second half vs the Bears is concerning.

The Bears were within a blade of grass making it very uncomfortable in the 4th Q .

Heres hoping the receivers can produce a more balanced offence in sunny Florida.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Blut2

The young WR corps is going to have to step up pretty rapidly as the season goes on. Its a lot to ask, but as things stand I'd agree with Brendan because of that - it'll be a scraping in to the playoffs and an early exit season otherwise.

• Advertisement

Yes, hope I am wrong, but it’s a tough schedule and needs a balanced offense.

Given the set up of the NFL most teams will have the odd ‘down year’ maybe more!! and this could be the Packers turn.

Was pleased to see #18 step up last Sunday and made some clutch catches.

Also pleased to see a bit of variety in the O even though one motion play was messed up.

I think it’s the early start of a new era, so I am resigned to a couple of less than stellar seasons while construction work is ongoing.

I'd be more thinking around Lazard stepping up as a proper WR1 as the season goes on rather than expecting a mad breakout from one of the rookies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Doing a run through of the fixtures I'd be hoping for a 12-5 season. Worst case scenario a 10-7.

Probably going to be games we'll be surprised they win and a few surprise losses.

Vikings losing already is good. I was worried they might go on a good early run.

I’d like to see that but I think the lad is too injury prone to make that jump.

He is a very good player and has all the attributes for a top class receiver, but is he durable enough is the question.

I’d like to see two breakouts from the rookies, Doubs and Watson.

They can’t afford any of the experienced players to go down.

Another thing to consider is that two of their best 5 receivers are probably Jones and Dillon but obviously you aren't going to get any big chunk plays with them.

You'd wonder would things have been much different for Watson in terms of targets if he had caught that first pass against the Vikings. He does look like a serious athlete but as you have all said him and Doubs will have to step up big time probably by the second half of the year which wouldn't usually be the Packers way of doing things.

I would say 10 wins is just the Packers winning all the games they should.

A great start to the game from the Offense that completely petered out with 0 points scored in the second half. Maybe it's just my own negativity bias impacting my memory, but it feels like this has been altogether too common. Luckily the D really stepped it up and the Buccs O struggled even more than our own.

Doubs showing some good potential at WR probably my biggest positive takeaway (beyond the win that is).

To be fair that Bucs defence is I think ranked #1 overall and Rodgers' top receiver was a 4th round rookie in his 3rd NFL game. I agree about a common theme of the MLF era seems that the offense can't recover from a big momentum shift like a turnover. 8 or 9 series of 3 and out or whatever it was is pretty terrible.

I think a big positive is that the defence looks good and a nice bonus is that the special teams isn't terrible. The punting and coverage was excellent.

The biggest positive for me is Bahktiari being back. I don't think its unreasonable to say if he had never got injured they could have won a superbowl in 2020 and even 2021. 2020 vs the Bucs really stands out though.

Very strange game indeed and well done to the Pack for holding out.

A few questions need to be answered though and I understand the Bucks probably have the leagues best D.

1. How did the Pack slice through them for two TDs and almost another one and then draw a blank in the second

half?

OK I know the Bucks would have taken steps to rectify and are very strong but a full half without a score….not good.

What I was more concerned about was on the last Bucks drive starting at their 10 I think with, little time on the clock, they were up to the Packers 10 yard line so fast and easy.

Was it soft coverage? . Was it luck, what was it .

We almost lost the game because of it .

Anyone…..?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭cosatron

The bucs played more zone in the first half and allot more man coverage in second. Also they had 6 dline in first compared to 5 in second. The packers played prevent defence and stood off the recievers which is a bad idea with tb12

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Blut2

Re: the Bucs last drive it looked to me like the Packers made the conscious decision to give up yards to eat the clock, to play a soft defense focused on the sidelines and defending deep. Which just seems an incredibly risky call against a QB with Brady's experience, as the TD showed. Especially considering how well the defense was working before this.

• Advertisement

Agree about the last play. I know Jaire was missing but with the top 3 WRs also missing for the Bucs you would have to trust the much heralded secondary not to give up the big play and just play defence as you had been all game.

It reminded me a bit of Trappatoni's/Martin O'Neills/Mick McCarthys...... Ireland! Get a goal and then stop doing everything good that led to the goal and just sit back inviting pressure hoping to hold out.

Thanks lads, that’s basically how I saw it too.

It was a gamble,that the clock will run out before you get into our Redzone .

It was extremely risky …smacks of that famous or infamous 4th and 26 against Philly way back when.

Packers betted everything on Philly not making that play or any big play downfield and set up the defence accordingly.

They made it on the limit, and went on to win.

Oooooh……painful.

Packers need to come out swinging and sock it to that sour tosser Bellichick.

I don’t need another nail biter.

Back up QBs have a history of career games vs the Packers, D needs to lay down the law early on.

Would not expect any serious threat in this game…..hopefully😁

Should be a routine W......should.

Rarely a routine win for the Packers, unfortunately.

They usually find a way to fork it up!!

Hence the should, Bren!

Well the Offense has been absolutely insipid so far, hopefully just to make the second half even more glorious....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Poor enough performance again but at least it's another win. Good to see Watson getting more touches and Doubs very unlucky to just lose the ball right at the last second.

A win is a win but I could have done with going to bed before 1am and really should have been. There a definitely glimpses of what the offence could be and Doubs and Watson have a chance to be stars if the big time drops are ironed out. Rodgers was terrible in the first half I thought but came good in the end. The pass to Doubs for what should have sealed it was glorious.

Its like they are lowered to the level of the team they are playing and just do enough but I don't think that is sustainable. They'll have another 3rd string QB next week so can expect lots of runs again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭pedatron

London next week now for the Giants. Heading over on Saturday. Did anyone else manage to nab a ticket?

Advertisement