Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

Exciting fare in Breffni tonight, if a bit low on quality. Gowna will feel lucky being down to 14 men and going 6 down in the second half. Dirty act by Ryan Brady going into Gearoid with the knee while he was on the ground, McQuillan reffed the game very well I thought. Gowna kicked the game away in the end but the Gaels should have wrapped it up when they got the goal and instead got a needless black and then got scorched around the middle for about 20 minutes and left the best ball winner in the county standing in full forward.

It was a decent game with two fairly well matched teams. Sorely needed after a huge amount of terrible one sided games so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭piplip87

Another terrible game of football tonight. Fairly annoyed as a Ramor man at this stage at the shite they have served up so far in the championship. Absolutely no eagerness to get the ball forward never mind create a goal chance.

Mullahorn leveled the game with four minutes left. Ramor decided to keep the ball shockingly didn't even try to score and wound down the clock.

Conor Bradly and Brian O'Connell back so hopefully that will be enough to see us kick on.

Paddy MC went off injured score three lovely points.

I'd reckon if we manage to win the replay Killigarry will beat us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭celt262

I don't think they intentionally wound down the clock but nobody was willing to take on a man and get into a position to shoot. 4 minutes of injury time announced and there was one of them up before the ball was in play and they he blew up early.

Anyone see the Killygarry/Kingscourt game it was an enjoyable game with some lovely scores. Anyone have an opinion on the free that Killygarry got to win it i though it was very soft and there was minimal contact it any?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

To give a free for a dive like that at that stage of the game was a joke and he only played three minutes of the injury time not four with all the stoppages in injury time. He even gave a yellow card for it, look at some of the fouls Killygarry committed earlier and no cards, it was shocking stuff. It didn’t show the red card incident on Cavstream but i thought that Killygarry got frees a lot easier during the match than Kingscourt and they could easily have had two black cards earlier in the second half. Conor Smith should get an Oscar for his performance, embarrassing stuff. God help us if that lad is one of our best referees and they wonder why some referees get no respect, lots of them don’t deserve any. If I was a Kingscourt player waking up this morning I’d be wondering what’s the point putting up with that crap.

I didn't see a replay but you have backed up what i though at the time it was a very poor decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Conor Smith's performance embarrassing? You must have been at a different game. He was immense, won ball, kicked scores, set up scores and kicked the winner, whilst carrying a knock. Exceptional.

Post edited by Gallant_JJ on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

The Killygarry Vs Kingscourt game was absolutely fantastic for the neutral and there were so many brilliant performances. I thought Corrigan was exceptional, and Joe Dillon had his best game in years and shows the county when fit how devastating he is. Morris is brilliant and that point of his at the end was good enough for a draw. Conor Smith, Oisin Brady, Cian Reilly, McKenna and others for Killygarry but in fairness there wasn't really any lads for either team who couldn't come out of it with some credit. I think a draw would have been a fair result and the last free was soft, but credit to Killygarry for going for it right to the end.

Gaels left to regret not sticking Geaorid in midfield when Paul Graham got his black card last week. Gowna had their best performance since last year, and even still there is loads of room for improvement. The semi against Crosserlough should be a cracker.

Ramor aren't easy on the eye but they are going to be hard beat by anyone. Physically they are a huge team and defensively they are going to make it hard for any team. Killygarry are going to have to be up for a battle.

Cuchulainns let Castlerahan off the hook yesterday evening, have to feel that will come back to haunt them. Cootehill gave Ballyhaise a a serious rattle but didn't take their chances and looked like they were running on empty for the last 10 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Few videos going round on social media looked like a very harsh sending off in the cootehill v ballyhaise game, think it was hessin that was sent off that was a big turning point I'd say

The rest of the games seemed to go the way they were expected

Castlerahan making hard work of getting back to senior

It was soft, watching it live it seemed like a bad call. I see the Cootehill Twitter account has a host of clips up feeling it was hard done by- there were a few very soft frees Cootehill got that they didn't post! If the club wants to make a complaint, fair enough but selecting some Cavstream clips and posting them on Twitter to me seems pretty childish.

Sexton was very whistle happy but it was the linesman who made the call that Hessin threw a punch at Watson (and didn't connect). As per the rule book, it's a red card but Cootehill will rightly feel aggrieved and Hessin was getting a lot of high quality ball into the full forwards and causing serious panic in the Ballyhaise defence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Ah I just seen who the linesman was there now... It makes sense... James Clarke is used to getting things not so right

Watson has no manners caused trouble the last time they played calling someone's girlfriend a tramp which ended up in a red aswell. Leaving his club for a neighbouring one thinking he was going to get on county panel 😆.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

I finished playing with Ballyhaise before Watson joined us from Drung, so i don't know anything about the lad. Wasn't at the match on Sunday, saw the video on twitter, Not sure how Hession got a red for that. Last time i played against Cootehill was the league in 2016, There would have been about 20 players sent off if it had been referred by these standards.🤣.

I can understand why Cootehill are fuming about it. I'm not sure the county board will be too happy with your clubs twitter account posting that video saying, it was a disgrace though.

Ballyhaise against Cootehill has been very "feisty" of late. Probably a case of playing each other too often- didn't they play each other twice last year? I think if the current letter of the law was applied fully at the end of that game, there might have been a few more red cards dealt out. 😀 I wonder were refs instructed to crack down on things after the Gowna Vs Gaels game?

I think it was a soft ref but Hessin did swing a box, albeit he didn't connect. But Cootehill taking to Twitter to throw the toys out of the pram is embarrassing. I see a fair few of the tweets have been deleted.

Seems to be regular enough with Cootehill whoever is running the twitter seems to be a bit immature with some of the postings after games.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Blue in hope

The linesman had to make a decision in a split second and doesnt have the benefit of a replay. You looked at the video for more than that and wrongly identified a person and their reputation.Officials and players ans all of us can make mistakes but dont deserve the abuse that followa

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Blue in hope

The man named wasnt involved in the game that the video was put up and commented on.

Crosserlough Vs Gowna live on RTE 2 from Breffni Park on Saturday from 7:30pm. Last time the RTE cameras were there for a club game (2020 senior final) it was a humdinger and a brilliant advertisement for Cavan football. Hopefully Saturday will be the same with two young teams who love to attack.

Even Pat Clarke throwing on the Ramor Jersey for the last few minutes couldn't save them.

• Advertisement

Wouldn't be like him either. I'm a long time going to Ramor games. He was playing for a draw more than anything.

Thankfully that's the championship over for us this year. Really didn't play well in any games but got over the line in a few of them.

Hopefully with a fully fit panel next year and an improved style of play we will give it another rattle next year.

I thought Clarke let Ramor away with a lot of questionable tackling today. Killygarry found a way. Plenty of quality players, Lovett is a special prospect, willing to lead and take on responsibility.

Gowna will rightly go into the final as favourites. It will take something big for Killygarry to win it at their first attempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭bosco12345

Ah yes the blatant penalty not given in the first half, which was given as a free out was Pat wearing a Ramor jersey …

After the loss of McEvoy, the one player Ramor couldn't afford to be injured was James Brady. Considering all the injuries Ramor showed some real resolve to almost make back to back finals. They weren't pretty to watch but were incredibly hard to break down. They will be back.

Am delighted for Killygarry after all the work put in at underage level. As a neutral, a Gowna Vs Killygarry final should be an open, attacking spectacle and both have lots of very skilfull players that have huge potential at u20 and senior intercounty level.

Strangely enough, this place has been very quiet and a brilliant spectacle for Cavan football went unmentioned. It was a brilliant game on Saturday night and yet again Cavan club football lights up RTE.

James Smith clearly wasn't fit and Paddy Lynch was really well marshalled. McVeety was class in the middle for the Lough but over the 60 minutes Gowna were the better team. A soft penalty brought the Lough back into it and I wouldn't have been complaining with a replay. Casey had a very good game and I've been impressed with him this year. He has loads of talent but his decision making has improved a lot. Ryan Donohoe was colossal out in the middle, surely he could come into the Cavan senior panel (possibly as a half forward).

It was an enjoyable game for sure. I felt that there were too many errors, missed frees and poor shooting for it to be considered a great advertisement for our game though. There were some brilliant individual moments, the goals mainly, but outside that I felt there was a lot of poor play. The referee being overly fussy also dampened the spectacle.

I'll take back what I said earlier in the season, McVeety was a cut above the rest on Saturday. Hopefully he will give another stint with Cavan.

Gowna have plenty of lads there that look like they have something to offer Cavan. I sincerely hope if they win the final that we don't see them shunning county football as other Cavan champions have in the past.

I watched back the end of the Killygarry game. Cian Reilly was fantastic. He stripped Ramor of possession near his own goal line in injury time and had the vision to find a 30 meter pass to a teammate in space over a sea of bodies. Lovett also very impressive, crazy that this is his first year at Senior.

Two young teams apart from the couple of veterans. It's great to see these young lads performing well its good for Cavan football.

As a Ramor man I can only talk about how good Killygarry were. Young Lovett will no doubt be scaring the shite out of defenses come January in the Blue and white. Could be what we need to get out of division three he is quick, agile and can score when needed. Conor Smith again to recover from the horrible leg break a few years ago if he stays injury free could have a big say on the county team.

All in all there seems to be a serious amount of young talent coming through hopefully some of them can be blooded on the county team in the next year or two as there will be rebuild job on there.

As for Ramor, yes decimated by injuries, horrible stye of play but when missing so many players maybe had no choice. No doubt will be back next year, hopefully any of them who get a call up will take it.

• Advertisement

I agree, it wasn't a classic but considering the conditions it was end to end, both teams attacked non-stop and kicked some great scores. Yep, there was loads of mistakes- but hard not to have some with the rain on Saturday. I agree about the refereeing. Is it just me or have the refs been very fussy over the last few weeks?

Mc Veety if he wants it walks into that Cavan team. I loved him at full forward but maybe back with his power in the half forward line? I really hope he goes back in, I really felt for him not being in the country in 2020 giving his unbelievable committee at club and county.

Whilst we have tended in Cavan to be looking at forwards to bring in, we definitely need to be giving the likes of Cian Reilly and Carolan game time next year.

Advertisement