Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solution for cracks in exterior walls

Options
  • 03-10-2022 9:21am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,348 Mod ✭✭✭✭

We have an oldish poured concrete houses. 1940s I think.

Stripping wallpaper about 2 years ago discovered a fair few cracks across walls.

Not sure if this belongs here or DIY, but is there anything recommended to fill these ourselves. Particularly the bigger ones. We're about to dryline too

They don't seem to have gotten any bigger and are possibly just settling from a long time ago. Most houses on the road have similar I'd wager, and you can see some have been patched outside.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭db

Run a screwdriver asking the crack to remove any loose material and sudden the crack. Fill with a good smooth filler and sand when dry.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,348 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Cheers. Any recommendations given it's concrete? Wasn't sure if I should just go with any standard off the shelf filler or if there's a specific one for concrete (which I'm fairly sure I've seen)

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

Any filler in a hardware shop will do

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Weepsie, are you looking for more than just a cosmetic filler? Because that's all that we can recommend you do here. Any off-the-shelf filler will fill down to about 10mm no problem, to fix what's beyond that would be down to a structural engineer to recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,469 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

You can cover them using filler but it's a bad idea to try and fill cracks generally. The crack may be expanding and contracting slightly during warmer and colder weather(or excess rain), filling it in may cause pressure to build elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,348 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Cheers all. Didn't think of some of those things. If they're not changing, maybe I just leave them be. House is there long enough I figure

Advertisement