Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE Radio 1: The Ryan Tubridy Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭leath_dub

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭QueensGael

I missed the connection - why is he shoehorning the Team babies story into the Plantagenet dynasty?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I suspect they too need to update their website as they list Ivan Yates as a client, when he's definitely in the NK stable now.

Coogan (sadly) on his best behaviour today.

Another free preview screening for Tubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭QueensGael

Thoroughly disappointing :/

Cuts out with 10 mins to go for ad filler and texts...

Tubs guffawing when Coogan said he is a committed republican when discussing the monarchy. It's well known that Coogan is not a fan of the monarchy, why is Tubs guffawing at this? And after Coggan departed Tubs continued the guffawing. He is a very strange man.

Tubs on Coogan "he's got a very broad bandwidth.....broadband"

WTF?

• Advertisement

Tubs admitting that segment was a pre-record.

The segment was pre-recorded and yet they played it in the middle of the show. They'd have known exactly how long it was and could have finished the show with it - which would have been a much more natural end to it, and Bryan could have gotten to Dun Laoghaire earlier than usual for his free 99. Bonkers.

• That was absolutely bonkers. “Sorry we have run out of time, we have to fit in yet more waffle before the end.” The producers are not exactly competent.

• I’d say he must have a host of “celebrities” on his reserve list, and doesn’t want to overcrowd his website.

Why is he bored with dalmer ? It’s a bio series and in fairness he had an interesting life , he was also tubs generations coolest serial killer

Coogans mind must be blown getting interviewed on the show , he must be wondering if he’s being pranked , all that’s missing is a “ahaaaa”

• Advertisement

Bland O'Driscoll AND The 2 Johnnies on TLLS tomorrow night. I admired O'Driscoll immensely as a player, as an analyst, commentator, and after-dinner speaker he's as bland and as boring as they come - afraid to say anything remotely critical of anyone or the slightest bit controversial in case he upsets his sponsors.

What are the chances Tubs asks the "did ya make county?" lads about sexism and unwoke comments on their social media channels and podcasts, and their suspension from 2fm? About the same as asking Lottie Ryan about Gerry's coke habit I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,425 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Not me. Edward would have billions of relations in the world now. And records are available for royalty and aristocracy, to the extent that Danny Dyer can trace his ancestry back to William the Conquerer.

"If you take it back to 20 generations or 600 years you'd have 2,097,150 ancestors. Back 30 generations or 900 years (i.e. back to the year 1117) and you have 10,73,741,824". (19 Oct 2017).

Thank you for your delicious contribution.

I guess the subtlety of my jibe was lost on you, as usual?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,425 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Can a contribution be delicious?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭leath_dub

Will he ask BOD about the IRFU being taken to court over failure to protect against concussion/brain injury?

Well you're the one who defends it's use in every situation, so you tell us - you're the expert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭hawley

'I invited a guest into this [RTE] studio to explain what it is, and despite his most valiant, articulate efforts I pretended to you the listener that I understood him just because we could all go home!' he said.

Ryan revealed he was so confused on the subject that he spent the interview thinking about what he'd have for lunch.

He said: 'In my head, "I think I'll have a toasted sandwich," or maybe... do you know what I'm not mad about Sprite, I like 7Up more. I don't know, there's just something about Sprite, it's just a little less interesting," the poor man was still talking. About Bitcoin.

He's on for fifty odd minutes for five days a week and he thinks it's hilarious to say that he doesn't even bother to concentrate on his job. It's not believable anyway. Seems like he well up on how to negotiate contracts and pay minimal tax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

Why do you do post about other posters and never about the show? You like the show, but never explain why,never offer any commentary on it, or counter any other posters critisisms. Only snipe at other peoples comments.

Did you think that was a good interview with Coogan? I don't.

Do you think the pre recorded interview was well placed within the hour. I dont.

But there is no point giving any sort of a explanation. You wont engage. You wont counter. Just ignore me or attempt some sort or smary passive aggresive come back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

It's not a matter of overcrowding his site imo. Noel is getting a bit rattled. He prefers to go right under the radar but due to our efforts here and other places, he seedy shenanigans are getting way more attention than he'd like. His crew read this site daily.

There was talk on CB's thread about how she practically has a NKM head on almost every day. There was also talk of people writing to TD's saying there should be an investigation into the RTE/NKM relationship. CB comes back from her hols and there's a huge reduction in the (known) NKM people on her show. Noel is changing tack - the new MO is to get the people on his books that aren't known to be NKM, lots of slots on the show. I have been spot on with outing some of these people - Jen Hogan, Luke O'Neill. Others I seriously suspect (based on how often and where they appear) are - Dr Ilona Duffy, Afric O'Connell, Geraldine Herbert (motoring), Eoin Corry - to name but a few. Nina Carberry is beginning to tweak the needle on my NKM meter too.

I don't foresee anymore people being added to NK's website in the future.

Hi everyone in NKM house, Ballsbridge, D4.

*waves*

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Kildare1976

"Stay indoors and have fun" .... Yes Ryan, the bills will be paid by us not working for a living.

"it's worth reading up on because it's so disturbing"

What a weird reason.

I makes me so uncomfortable to hear RT talk at us about incels.... From a man who says women should have a tick on their ars*s to denote their quality in bed.

The man is a total mysoginist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭mistersifter

100%

Again, here is that article about Ryan Tubridy suggesting that women should have a quality tick on their asses to say how good in bed they are and how many men they have slept with.

This can't be posted enough times on this thread as far as I'm concerned.

And Tubridy joked that women should get a “quality tick on your arse” to prove whether they are any good in the bedroom – with the number of ticks suggesting their number of lovers.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/showbiz/irish-showbiz/ryan-tubridy-reveals-lovers-work-2336046

It's also very strange that Ryan Tubridy claims to know absolutely nothing about Jordan Peterson, who has been the most well-known and widely discussed academic in the world for a good few years now. Peterson has published three books which have been hugely successful.

So why has Ryan Tubridy, who promotes himself as an intellectual bookworm and is meant to be a serious interviewer, never researched the most well-known and widely discussed academic in the world? This is especially weird since Peterson recently sold out the 3 Arena and would have made an interesting LLS guest (Peterson was in Ireland on the Friday - the lecture was on a Saturday).

It seems that Ryan wants to steer clear as he wouldn't be able to handle an interview with Peterson and it would be too much work to prepare for it. Handier just to ask Amy Huberman what she thought of the Tallaght deaths, or ask Julia Roberts how much she loves Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭avfc1874

FFS, I thought he had said it in an off the cuff chat didn't think it was in an interview in the paper, how come woke tubs hasn't been cancelled like he calls out others,

Imagine if anyone else was called out on this (trump) no matter how far back it was, he'd be the first to say as a father of two daughters I think it's appalling and disgusting that someone could think like this, but to give an interview and say them terrible and disgusting things shows what a horrible person they are, and they have no place in society, hypocritical fcuker

Only Peterson fans know about Peterson ,I just see a guy in an echo chamber

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I have a theory about Tubs and his persona. I may be wrong, perhaps someone might have listened to him longer than I have and know more about his style of presenting?

I think once upon a time, Tubs seen himself as the new Gerry Ryan at rte? He was edgy, controversial and likes to shoot from the hip? And that's why he would say things like women having a tick box on their arses so we would know how good in bed they were.

Then the world started to change. Stuff like this wasn't acceptable to say any more. His agent foreseen this, and told his client that perhaps it was time to double down on being a nice guy. A guy who was perceived as Capt Kindness. Who spoke a lot of waffle about being good to yourself, each other and strangers. Go all in on it. And in a few years, everyone would think of you as such a genuine, caring man?

I think this persona he has created, or the one his management team has pushed, is 100% fake. Sometimes the veil slips and he reveals his darker, nastier side. But you can often see him backtrack to recover. It happens with something as simple as what he might have thought of a TV program. He'd say it was rubbish and then in the next sentence you can hear him double back and try to say it wasn't that bad, just in case he ever has the opportunity to interview a person from it, or that he might be considered unkind to rip into a subject matter or show.

As for him never interviewing JP, that would be a laugh. JP would wipe the floor with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

I think the newspaper was quoting some riffing from the radio show. Tubs just opens his mouth and has no real idea what's going to come out, but it's always drivel.

It was a comment Tubridy made on air and then reported on in the newspaper.

His sense of entitlement goes well beyond the freebies he flaunts on Instagram. And he has admitted to being a "gobshíte with women".

I also recall a LLS interview with Emmet Kirwan, who was talking about his girlfriend getting comments from lads on the street. Camera cuts to the girlfriend in the audience and Tubridy makes some pervy comment about Kirwan "doing well for himself" as the girl was good looking. Gobshite is right.

Whether or not Tubridy agrees or disagrees with Peterson's views, Peterson is an important figure in debates about things like gender, feminism, oppressive masculinity i.e. topics that are having a huge impact on societies all around the world. To say he has never seen or heard anything about Peterson just goes to show what a lazy lightweight he is as a broadcaster.

I am no fan of Peterson. It would say something about being ignorant of general pop culture or the world around Tubs surrounds himself in if he didn't know Peterson. Given the media sh1tstorm JP has surrounded himself in.

But he clearly does, and he have away tickets to JP a few months ago

It reminds me of the scene in Peep Show with Peter Capaldi where he pretends not to know that Four Wedding and a Funeral is a movie or what Ghostbusters is. He just likes to sit and read books.

I don't know if it's a unwillingness to get drawn into the controversy surrounding JP or to potentially upset any listeners by picking a side when it comes to him. But it was all a little weird.

I'll mention this controversial person. Read a few texts. Test the waters. Hmm getting a mixed reaction. Just going to shut it down.

Post edited by Bellbottoms on

Wait wasn't he supposed to have a listener on to talk about the movie Blonde?

She was on Tuesday, hadn't seen it and called into complain about it.

• Advertisement

Wasn’t listening today as I’m in France , but if Tubs is seriously claiming he doesn’t know who JP is he’s either outright lying or the bubble he’s living in is even bigger than we thought…..and neither is a good look.

You are completely correct, it is all a persona curated to make him look like a "kind" person. He is not, the mask is well and truly up but it is just that.

He has no respect for women what so ever. Having two daughters doesn't automatically respectful, genetics could have gone either way.

Heres another example of what he really thinks about women and children, actually likening breastfeeding in public "taking a piss" in public, his words not mine. He's been groomed well to suppress these opinions over the years but it's always there beneath the surface.

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/comments-on-breast-feeding-1.1164960

That's a new one. And yet another shining example of the real Ryan.

• That’s all part of his deeply rooted misogynistic opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Sorry. Abroad working for a couple of months so I'm a bit out of the loop.

Did Tubridy actually say this about Tiernan. If so then it was through clenched teeth.

• “Can families fire you when they realise you’re not worth the money”?”

This is an extraordinary utterance if Ryan actually said it. It would mean he’s aware he’s sh1te but feels secure because everyone loves him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

That's not a Ryan quote. nwl said that last bit. I do like that nwl a/c - seems like they'd fit in well around here

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

All I hear is dope

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

was Ryan on the bag last night

• Heard Ryan for a minute whilst driving, he sounds nasally, has a Coldvid.

3 comments on the show?

Must have been an exciting one this morning.

• Advertisement
Advertisement